Electric Motion (EM) Trials Bikes

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by motobene, May 3, 2016.

1. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    Just placed the order and am getting the straight clutch MC fitting. Can't wait!
  2. JIMBO33

JIMBO33 n00b

Oddometer:
    New here and looking at a 2014 EM5.7 and had a few questions:

what major changes (other then the new 2019 models) were there since the 2014 EM5.7 ?
    the french website hasn't worked for me on either of my computers for days and I cant seem to find Canadian distributors is something going on with EM ?
    Who supports these bikes in BC Canada ?
    How are older batteries holding up ? The EM owner of the one i am looking at has a newer 2018 and says the 2014 battery is very similar in range but charges slower then the newer one (i'm assuming this is because of a newer charger)
    anything else i should know ? information is fairly scares so i was glad to find you guys ! cheers .
  3. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome. Definitely go back & read this thread. Most topics already discussed. Only changes I recall reading was an increase in tranny "flywheel" in 2017. A few have had premature battery failures, some warrantied, but most are doing fine.

Its your lucky day (or not), as I was posting an update ...

The Golden-Motor oem (NSK) bearings don't seem to last very long. Motor is only "water-resistant." Just replaced my 2016 motor bearings with maybe 200 hours on 'em. New SKFs.

Removing the 4 mount bolts for motor-to-tranny required a break-over bar. And I saw some aluminum threads on 2 of the steel bolts. Over-torqued when assembled appears to be the problem. Grrr...
    Ended up helicoiling all four threaded motor holes. M8x1.25.

I found this video ...

& photo link of him replacing bearings. Look at those photos next, then return here ...

One detail he did not cover well was the "shim" adjustment to correctly space rotor from stator after bearings replaced. Here's my photos;

[​IMG]
    Remove the small cover plate in center of motor, to see this view
    [​IMG]
    WTF is that, you might say?

This steel ring with 2 round holes & 2 #1 philips is threaded into the motor housing. Its depth is what sets the rear bearing position & rotor clearance.

MARK the ring & housing for alignment & check its height vs. housing. You will need to return it to this position later.

After marking, remove both #1 philips. These are the thread locks to prevent ring from turning.

Get 2 drifts that fit the round holes well, insert, & use a long bar to unscrew the ring & remove.

Now you can remove output shaft circlip & fully disassemble motor & replace the bearings. We used a steering-wheel puller to remove housing, pressed rotor out of rear bearing, and then pressed both bearings out.

Look at the photo link for internal motor photos.

After replacement ... motor only sounded great. Reinstalled, motor+tranny (no drive chain) had some bearing noise. Added drive chain & tranny-bearing noise much louder. Grrr...

So I ordered SKF tranny bearings.

Here's my photos,

[​IMG]
    Motor out
    [​IMG]
    Pulled the battery & swing arm pivot to get tranny out.
    [​IMG]
    Hmmm... have you noticed the thick rubber spacer between tranny plates?
    [​IMG]
    The 2 rubber spacers are only attached to the aluminum spacers between plates. NOT sealed for water, but might keep most dust out. The tranny cover (on right) does not look sealed either.

The video that EM did of playing in water,

STOP that video at English WARNING and read thoroughly.

If you do play in water, you better pull tranny cover plate, & clean & dry belt & pulleys. As delivered, customer EM trannys are NOT waterproof!!!

So, off to machine shop early next week to replace tranny bearings.

THANKS Playa for all your help!
    I also just ordered this linear eClutch for the older EMs;

By email only from USA: (pepa.bigi@seznam.cz)
    ~$500 including shipping from CZ. Paypal transaction.
    Tracking number provided. :-)

So, putting rear brake pedal & line back on. I really liked the LHRB for trail riding. But I need a functional clutch for trials competition.

The EMs are very fun to ride & kinda high-maintenance if playing in mud & water.

Good luck,

Catfish ...
  5. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nobade likes this.
  6. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Prices for the Epure line range from €5,990 to €7,890 (US $6,700 to $8,800) depending on the model and whether or not the homologation package for road use is included. The Escape ranges from €7,590 to €7,730 (US $8,500 to $8,670).

That's actually pretty reasonable, I've just put my EM in a crate to ship it to Europe (I'm moving), I might end up selling it and picking up a new one.. we'll see how much riding I actually do over there.
  7. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    Europe is trials meca. Where are you going?
  9. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Back home, Prague, CZ... I knew I was going back already a year ago when I bought the EM, there really aren't a lot of places where you can ride dirtbikes in CZ so I figured an electric trials bike might work just fine without bothering anyone nearby..

Btw it's Plawa, not Playa.. took me a while to connect the dots ;)
    Kyler and Bucho like this.
  10. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am considering selling mine and waiting for a new 2020 models to come out. 20180721_142013.jpg
    ScottieDucati likes this.
  11. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    I hadn't ridden in a month or so,and yesterday I was practicing and noticed my normally smooth, predictable throttle was snatchy. In fact occasionally it would never turn off and wanted to creep. After a while that all went away and made me think the throttle needs periodic maintenance. Do you guys do anything?
  12. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I spray a bit of WD 40 with thin nozzle attached into the end peice of the hand grip between hand gripe and plastic and give it a few twists after to make sure its working freely, if that makes any sence.
    I rode yesterday and did Pitt Bull`s Trifecta of Evil, what a blast!
  13. ScottieDucati

ScottieDucati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver. The lubricant-like properties of WD-40 come not from the substance itself, but from dissolving components. And the effect doesn't last.

An actual lube like TriFlow might be worth considering.
  14. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    attempted the Mid-Atlantic Vintage Trials event at Mt Airy, MD yesterday. The heat was brutal and the loop was long and challenging--wore me out. I did okay in most sections on the easy line (4-line). One section was mismarked - more like a 3-line. I'm too out of shape and this old fat guy gave in after one loop and went to the 3-sections that were easy to get to and spent the rest of the day there. Tried a few 3-lines as well. Good day tho.

The throttle settled down but would occasionally start creeping again. If I reset the battery it would be fine. I'll take the throttle apart this week and see if some cleaning/lube helps.

BTW, the battery likely would have made 2-loops before needing recharging. We rode the loop before the event started and it was down 2-bars just after that. I put the charger on it for an hour and topped it off before the event started.
  15. oldtrialer

oldtrialer Trials since 74

Oddometer:
    I had to change the battery on my Oset after 2 loops. I wasn't even going fast on the loop. My odometer said 12 miles for the day. In the one section I saw you trying the 3 line, you weren't using your legs over the logs. With enough practice, you'll get the hang of it.
  16. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    thanks - I was watching the other riders and then trying to duplicate it. Was getting close but not quite close enough :)
    Bucho likes this.
  17. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Epure video, in French so I don't know what they are saying.
  18. Olirider

Olirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The testers are very pleased by the new clutch on the race model and by the power. They tell that the most powerful mode (red mode) is only necessary for very big obstacles for very experimented riders. Medium (blue) mode seems the best.
    Ditch and Kyler like this.
  19. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    Help! I may have ruined my battery :(

I forgot to turn it off and the battery is dead. When I plug the charger in the red & yellow bars flash but the relay does not trigger and the battery won't charge.

Is there a way to get the battery to take a charge?
  20. oldtrialer

oldtrialer Trials since 74

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing to my Oset. The battery shuts itself down when it gets too low. It did recharge after about 7 hours. Maybe yours has to reset before it can charge. Give it some time hooked up to the charger.