Electric Motion (EM) Trials Bikes

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by motobene, May 3, 2016.

1. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea, with my 40 AH I could ride for hours, or about 40 kilometers. :D
    Bucho likes this.
  2. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I got a quote from EM for a 2019 24.5AH battery - $3313 plus shipping. I'll be joining the build my own club this winter.
  3. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Holy crap!
  4. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea, I believe the 40 AH is $4000.00. :(
  5. oldtrialer

oldtrialer Trials since 74

Oddometer:
    It must be the way EM makes the battery. I bought a second battery for my Oset for $800. 20 Ah.
  6. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, IMO it's pure pofit. I'm the one who took Kyler's battery apart and nursed it back to health. It's just a pouch lipo, simple BMS, hall sensor, and a pair of contactors.
    Bucho likes this.
  7. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to agree.
  8. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all ... I just became a new owner of 2016 EM Sport .... and naturally have some few questions, hoping to get an answer.

1) Where did you buy left hand rear brake kit (master + long hose) and how much did you pay?

2) Where did you buy an optional seat and how much did you pay?

3) Does anyone know the details of the battery cells arrangement inside the stock battery pack? What I am trying to do is to build smaller total Ah and thus lighter pack. A lot of my riding during the week is a short and technical 30-60mins a day max. ... so I really don't need 25Ah ... 10Ah should be plenty, assuming I know what max Amps is the controller set up going to ask for and balance that against max. cell continues Amps delivery. I assume the battery pack could go down to less than 5kgs, which would be significant reduction the bike could benefit from.

I appreciate any reply or suggestions.
  9. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey MXS,
    I purchased my left hand brake kit from Electric Motion France, do not remember what it cost (probably too much) also got the heavier spring for my shock as well.
    My 2018 Escape came with seat.
    See Kyler`s posts for battery info and pics. I have the 40 Ah in mine and it weights 32.5 lbs.
  10. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am having EM to quote the LHRB, but I do get the feeling as well, it will be 500 bucks easily ... do you happen to know (sometimes it is labeled on the master) the diameter of the master cylinder? Once that is known, it's just a matter of having a custom hose made, which is not difficult nor expensive. I could take the stock current rear MC apart in winter to see what diameter they are using and go from there. There's plenty of used MC's on used market ...

Regarding the battery .... yours is really porky ... :-) .... but it's a big bike made for long distance, so it's understandable. EM Sport is not and nor are my needs long distance. I will experiment with some home made 18650 packs ... which is inexpensive and gives a good idea what the options are and how low can I get in parallel configuration before I will feel it in power department from the first pull.. Much smaller pack can be made really plug and play without having to even take the top off. It will be fun experimenting ... I am looking forward to it.
  11. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
  12. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I ended up finding a local trials shop which can make me a matching LHRB kit for my EM. It was very reasonably priced in my opinion, and they have experience with these kits, not their first one they are selling for EM.

With that done, I was looking at removing the stock "clutch cut-off" setup in preparation for the LHRB .... I see the 2-line cable going into a socket/plug where an extra different wire goes to (2 wires from handlebar third one from elsewhere, so it doesn't look like I can easily remove the whole assembly including the whole 2-wire cable leading to the handlebar lever? Or am I wrong? .... I'd prefer to obviously not cut anything, so I can keep it plug and go, in case I am selling the bike, or whatever the reason might be.
  13. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    You can remove the factory clutch easily, just follow the wire, it ends with two connectors, unplug those, connect the two ends that stayed on the bike and you're done.
  14. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, just what I was hoping for.
  15. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Disappointed today ... the local shop failed me regarding the LHRB kit .... on top of that, EM's post sales customer service is lacking ... over a week, I have been waiting for their reply regarding few things including the LHRB kit. I know they will probably be selling Braktec, since the stock brakes are Braktec calipers and AJP levers and MC. I see Braktec has it in their catalogue, specifically mentioning EM ... but they only deal with distributors, so locating dealer who can order from Braktec catalogue, sounds like a pain.

So, I am thinking just to buy a used MC and have a custom line made. The line doesn't worry me, many companies can do that based on correct instructions ... but the MC. There's a ton of MC's out there ... All I need is the MC diameter, playing in unison with the caliper pistons ... any idea what diameter MC I need? Especially you guys who bought MC yourself ...
  16. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So from googling around ... 9.5mm clutch MC used on dirt bikes works fine for the rear brake? ... really leaves only two options ... either Brembo or Magura.
  17. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might try searching for conversions with Rekluse auto clutches for dirt bikes. Quite a few people converted to LHRB with the auto clutch.
    Edit:
    Here is a link to Slavens racing: https://slavensracing.com/shop/?make=&model=&mm_cat=13
    I suspect the master cylinder may be too big since these are for bigger calipers/rotors, but maybe that is better since you are not using your foot? It's a start.
  18. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what your looking for, but it takes an 11 MM wrench to remove brake hose from MC.
  19. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Is anybody dealing with an EM dealer in North America, or do you have to go to Europe?
  20. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer: