Electric Motion (EM) Trials Bikes

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by motobene, May 3, 2016.

1. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Depends on what you need, try Mike at Dirt Riders west in Scottsdale
  2. Mike Mc

Mike Mc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    is there a reason you aren't interested in the DIY LHRB that @catfish wrote up?
  4. ride_wv

ride_wv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a 2019 Escape Sport up for sale. Check the flea market.
    F861C29D-E1AF-4F0C-B71A-FC03EB1CC0C4.jpeg
  5. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Could you, or anyone here, explain further the operation of the clutch/rear brake lever? In your ad you mention that it can be converted to use as a clutch. I envisioned that it did both, with the initial travel stopping the motor drive then further travel engaging the regenerative braking, am I close?
    How much braking effect is available with the regen, and how progressive is it, or what is the range of braking available from the motor?
  6. ride_wv

ride_wv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have never switched it over to use as a clutch as I mainly have used the bike to cruise around trail riding but it’s as simple as switching a connector under the seat. I believe the clutch mode lets you build rpms with the motor and then engage them just as a normal clutch would work. In the regen/brake mode it will almost lock up the rear wheel on a downhill slope if you pull it all the way really quick. I find myself never using the actual rear brake because it works so well. It feels like using engine braking on a 4 stroke but much more controlled.
  7. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. Do you know if using the clutch option alters the brake function? Do these bikes come with manuals explaining this stuff?
  8. ride_wv

ride_wv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a usb drive with some literature. Let me see if I can get it uploaded.
  9. ride_wv

ride_wv Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    That's very helpful, I wish they would make that info available on their website.
    What does the lever feel like when braking? Are you working against a spring with progressive resistance? Do you feel like your applying more braking force in the lever, or do you gauge your effort at the lever based on the braking effect on the rear wheel (hope that makes sense)?
  11. ride_wv

ride_wv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s a spring your working against. The lever has a pretty light pull but you can definitely gauge your pull by the braking you feel. After some time using it I’ve realized that 95% of the time it will slow the rear wheel down just to the point before it locks up. This has allowed me to feel very comfortable just grabbing a full pull on the lever to slow me down or before applying the front brake. This is probably a bad habit but I’m more efficient using this setup than I have been on any bike in my life. It makes descending really steep hills very easy.
  12. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is ... I prefer to buy everything from one party who has experience selling such a kit to EM riders. No guessing whether line is long enough or will fit through the swing arm, whether leverage ratio of the lever is the right one for rear brake application, and of course price and availability ... I want to have it together before the snow comes.

I did find the solution at SplatShop in UK ... great advise, all in stock for a very fair price. I also like the swivel banjos from Venhill which you can mount after you place the hose through the bike. I will post my experience when I receive the kit and have it installed.
  13. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone took the throttle housing apart for thorough cleaning? What’s it look like inside? How did you remove the plastic cover on the very right side of the housing. It has a notch which looks very fragile if it needs to be lifted ...
  14. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I'm intrigued. Last question for now is how did you buy one? Did you go through a U.S. dealer or what? PM is fine if you prefer.
    Thanks again
  15. ride_wv

ride_wv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found a dealer that had ordered 2. One for himself and a friend. He was nice enough to sell me his before it even made it into the US. I arranged a freight pickup once it arrived and they picked it up in the crate and delivered it to me. It’s a really fun bike and I won’t be disspointed if I can’t manage to sell or trade it.. I have a smile on my face every time I ride it..
  16. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
  17. motodojo

motodojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you enjoy it so much, why are you selling it? I think I read somewhere that EM has no dealer support in the USA which is not a problem for parts because you can get them in the UK but they won't ship a battery. With EM being a small company I wonder if they stock older model parts. The 2020 looks completely different from the 2019.
  18. ride_wv

ride_wv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s a fun bike but most of my days riding I can easily get in 60+ miles of trail riding... so I find myself either riding the EM mostly in the back yard or just on short loops. I’m wanting to fund another trail bike and unfortunately I can’t afford to keep all my toys.. :D

I can’t say for sure about the parts from EM but a lot of them are standard trials bikes part and could be sourced easily.
  19. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saw it, but it mentioned “Once disassembled” ... well, I can take the two small side screws holding the black cover, but the cover wont come off, until I assume you pry the front side of the cover from the little notch recess ... not sure how it looks on your bike, but on my it looks like it will crack easily ... not something I want to do on a new bike. Hence me asking ....

Also have you have you had the whole pot out? My throttle is cutting out on me ... from new. You spray contact spray into where the wire comes in. It works for a week and then cuts out again, Not fun .... So I think the bike was sitting new on the floor for 2 years new and unused and perhaps some part needs oxidation cleaning or something along the lines ... unless the pot is faulty and this an intermittent outcome.
  20. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with older EM models? I’m looking for an Oset chaser/wife bike. At 240lbs I don’t know if electric is ready for me to ride 3 loops but I want it to be.

I found an ad for a 2014 at what could be a reasonable price assuming the battery is ok and parts are available. Those are the. If mystery and what I’d like to know. The ad says selling because it doesn’t get used enough. My first though is that the cells might have not been cared for very well and dipped below there minimum voltage if stored for log periods of time.

Any thoughts or advise? Are the early bikes worth it or better to avoid?