Electric Motion (EM) Trials Bikes

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by motobene, May 3, 2016.

1. ride_wv

ride_wv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know they have switched motor manufactures. The 2019 model I have has a Ashwoods motor and I believe the older models had Golden Motors. Here is a picture from my manual that shows battery interchangeability. Your wheels, forks, brakes and rotors are standard trials bike parts from what I’ve found.

32469C04-D034-4311-A54E-C066F778EEA1.jpeg
  2. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    So much depends on the loops meaning length, terrain. etc. I ride one event where I can do 4-loops on one charge. Almost all others I can only get 2-loops out of a charge. The difference is the first event has a very flat loop. BTW, I'm 210#
  3. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, yes, unless you are buying from a reliable source who you believe, the battery is always the largest risk by far. This is emphasized by the fact that EM’s price to buy a new battery is essentially a joke. So you are left with, finding someone who can rebuild the stock pack to the stock or better specs. For someone who is experienced with lithium battery packs, it’s not that difficult.

The price has to make sense to reflect the risk above.
  4. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just heads up to anyone who is buying a brand new non-current bike .... at the moment, EM is refusing to cover my bike with full warranty. Claiming that because it was manufactured in 2016, therefore it is out of warranty in 2019. I am in the middle of dispute with them (thanks also to the fact that the bike has a defective throttle) in regards to that. I am not sure whether this is the company's policy or rather a job of uninformed employee. We will see as I go through the escalation process where it leads me to. The dealer fortunately is a good person working with me. I am more upset with EM, not obviously with the dealer. I am also not saying it will happen to you, just cover your bases and don't be surprised when it does happen ...
  5. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    What country are you in?
  6. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada
  7. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How long of a warranty period would you expect a bike to have?
  8. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    X number of years (set by OEM, in this case 2 years) from the date of purchase. Not from the date of manufacturing. Would you expect anything else?

Imagine you buy a non-current bike from Honda and they would try to tell you that the warranty is gone because it started the moment it was manufactured .... how many non-current new bikes do you think they would sell?

Actually, let me ask you this .... Can you name a company which starts their warranty clock from day of manufacturing? I certainly cannot (other then EM).
  9. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see, so you bought the bike new?
    I had been refused warranty on mine after having the 48 volt to 12 volt convertor die on me. That was just over a year after purchase.
  10. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes the bike is new.

They seem to be very obtuse company to deal with as far as warranty goes, at least from my own experience and few others I have read about. You would think they would baby their customers, since they have so very few and trying to desperately grow. Maybe though that is the reason why the distribution network in NA has been questionable, more so in Canada, in the last x number of years. Must be frustrating for dealers to explain such things to customers. I know it would be for me ...

Anyways, I still like the bike very much and have no problem fixing/replacing the throttle .... but there just some things which irk me from a standpoint of a principal, and this is definitely one of them.
  11. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interested in buying a 2020 Epure Race. Emailed back and forth with the Factory Sales Manager. They would sell direct or through my local dealer, the Tryals Shop. They were a dealer in the past, under the former importer. They couldn't really explain the PDI and Warranty procedure if i bought direct, so I preferred a dealer.
    What really put me off was the realization that they are charging US customers the 20% EU VAT.... I realized this after looking at the new copy of Trials Magazine UK. EM UK has a full page ad with pricing. UK RRP includes EU VAT. I emailed the largest EM dealer in the UK and they verified that prices are VAT inclusive. The price in the US is higher than the UK price with VAT. I emailed EM a week ago asking for a clarification, and crickets.....
  12. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Just as a point of comparison, a brand new dirtbike from KTM in the US will come with exactly 0 warranty at all. Nada.
  13. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, true.

But I am not sure it’s a relevant comparison. Would you buy a new EM bike with zero warranty?
  14. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That doesn’t surprise me ... they have to ship them here almost one by one. It’s not like they stock them in large quantities in NA, so the frequent shipping adds notable cost, I am sure. Plus there’s not much market pressures on the price anyways. Once more of similar full size trial bikes are readily available, then they will have to do something about it.
  15. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    They ship by container, so not one bike at a time. The price in the USA was $500 more than the UK... that should take into account the 2% Tariff on French motorcycles and transport from France. But that a US market price includes, a 20% EU sales tax is BS.
  16. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought that they might ship LCL (like 3-5 bikes), but most likely they ship the stuff here in a container. But it might take long time to get stock sometime, because they have to have enough orders for at least a 20' container.

I bought a ton of things from UK usually and never have been charged VAT. But I never bought a vehicle or bike or even a bicycle .... I was though quoted on eMTB and the company was upfront ... excluding VAT. I think you just need to find some other European dealer who will not charge you VAT, if you want to go that route.

What I don't understand from your post is ... you order direct from EM, they ship to your local dealer in NY and they charge you VAT??? .... If that's what you meant, that must be illegal ... LOL ... Seriously.
  17. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Yes, I would order through the Tryals Shop in NY, and would still have to pay the equivalent of the 20% EU VAT in the price. The US price is $10,299. The UK price with VAT is $9860. UK price without VAT $8215.
    I buy motorcycle parts, apparel, horse tack from the UK and Europe all the time. No VAT is charged for sales outside the EU. I buy from Canada and don't pay GST, because it's coming to the USA.
  18. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Normally, I would say try to escalate it, because sooner or later your will run into a person who understands the things the right way, but you are already talking to Factory Sales Manager .... :-( Sounds like you are talking to a “wall” rather tham the person who knows and cares. It seems I ran into one too. Have to pay for the new throttle, but fortunately the local dealer will reimburse me.Disappointing that it must come to this, but what are you gonna do?
    Norman Foley likes this.
  19. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    The French can be stubborn for sure. Sales Manager has emailed my dealer, about other potential customers who have contacted him this week.... with no comment on my question about pricing.
    It looks like another new ICE powered trials bike for this time around. The Mecatecno Dragonfly is way behind schedule. I considered buying an Oset 24.4 as a second play/practice bike, but want an E bike with a real clutch. Maybe in 2 years the Yamaha TY-E will be for sale, but that's doubtful. Going to buy a French Scorpa with no EU VAT!
  20. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You would think EM would hate the idea of you getting a gas bike instead But I guess we consumers see things often differently, or the new companies often suffer from a tunnel vision.

Since you are set on the clutch, I guess you don’t have many choices. Fortunately, for me its far from being a deal breaker ... :-) .... I am used to riding Oset, Kuberg etc. ... so no clutch there.
    Norman Foley likes this.