1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Motion (EM) Trials Bikes

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by motobene, May 3, 2016.

1. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha, yea, there is are reason they say the west is the best! Pretty mild winters around theses parts, just working on some new Michelins.

Attached Files:

2. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought you guys had a blanket of snow in Vancouver and somewhat low temps close to 0C? You guys call it a new mild? ... LOL

New tires ... always a good news for a rider ... :-)
  3. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, we got a couple dumps of snow last week and temps went down to below 0, but its warmed up since and we are getting loads of rain, goodbye snow.
    It rarely goes below 0 and if it does, not for long.
  4. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am stuck with snow and -15C this morning in Toronto area .... I am not a happy camper right now.
  5. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode yesterday a bit and the silly throttle issue appeared yet again, all of a sudden. Lasted less than a minute and then went back to normal for the rest of the session .... drives me crazy. But I guess the only way to troubleshoot it is to replace or remove completely the map wire, then disconnect regen. Then I will at least know whether this is the two components causing it or not. If that does not do squat, then it's either controller or the damn throttle again .... EM only deals with Magura, so I would have to purchase the Domino and hope for the best.
  6. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know where to source brake pads for the Electric Motion? And I mean besides Electric Motion France.
  7. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://www.splatshop.co.uk/essentials/clutch-brakes/brake-pads.html

It’s the standard AJP/Braktec stuff .... or send them email and tell them what bike you have ... they are very helpful and know EM bikes.

You can also call a local shop which sell trial bikes and tell them you need pads for AJP/Braktec 4 pot front caliper. The brakes are nothing exotic ....
  8. Larwy

Larwy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks, is the UK closer then France? :lol2
    I will check local shop, I thought the Sherco brand brakes were the same?
    I also sent them email.
  9. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The good think about UK to Canada is that shipping is pretty fast. Many times I would have parts faster from UK than from a dealer in Canada ... LOL. Plus the exchange rate GBP/CAD has been pretty good lately.
  10. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got this e-mail yesterday:

Bonjour,

First of all, I hope that you and your family are safe and secured during this very difficult period.

At EM company, we have decided to organize a LIVE INSTAGRAM SESSION on SUNDAY, APRIL 5th.

1 session in French with Léo Finiels at 5pm (French time)
    1 session in English with me at 6pm (French time)

We will present the EM range and answer to all your questions during this LIVE.

Feel free to share this information on your social media or invite all your friends that would be interested (see visual below).

EM instagram link >> https://www.instagram.com/electricmotion_officiel/

Looking forward to hearing from you on sunday,
    Best regards,
    Bucho likes this.
  11. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I watched it ...nothing revolutionary, but useful overall.
  12. Austini

Austini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just brought a 2nd hand EM 5.7, looks like its got some serious additions to extend it range:lol3

Attached Files:

13. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not a milk crate, though! :D
  14. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow...
  15. Austini

Austini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've brought it for the wife, hopefully she will get bored of it and I can have a play!
  16. Austini

Austini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, I have just brought a EM 5.7 and it has a Neptune 15 BMS the previous owner did warn me that it was temperamental so the deal was "sold as seen"

So heres the go. Battery is good charges to 54.8 and the Neptune confirms that the cells are good.

The issue is the battery resets it self intermittently I would say its the BMS but im no expert, I have played with the protection defaults but although they work they don't cure the issue.

Has anyone else go a Neptune 15 and if so what all your standard settings?

I've only had the bike a day so early days yet it ran for 30 mins yesterday morning then reset and continued to reset more frequently. in the evening it ran for an hour and never reset. This morning it ran for 30 mins and reset and slowly got worse.

With the money I saved on the bike I am prepared to get another BMS and or Battery built I thought I would see what you guys said first.
  17. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you say “battery resets” ... do you mean hearing the main contractor click and everything shuts off?

For the record, I am not familiar with the Neptune 15 BMS ... A shut-off could mean many things, including voltage sag, once asking for more power than some voltage/amps threshold set in BMS, or it could be temperature related .... You also have to wonder, what else has been replaced inside the battery box unit?

Has the “reset” happened under power every single time? Like you opened the throttle ... or did it “reset” just while stationery?
  18. Austini

Austini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi MXS, the issue happens both when the battery is in or out of the bike so its not a demand on more amps, I can turn the battery on and it can reset strait away or it can last 30 mins or so. Yes there is a click when it trips but I believe the previous owner installed a solenoid (unsure if the original configuration has a solenoid?) so the click could be the 'main contactor' or the solenoid. I have spoken to the BMS supplier and he reckons the Neptune 15’s BMS has an internal 'MOSFET' switch that negates needing a solenoid. I might take the side of the box tomorrow and see where the click is coming from, main contractor or solenoid.
  19. mxs

mxs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK. I can confirm that the stock battery box does use a main contactor setup, thus producing an audible click when turned on.

Considering the reply you have received from Neptune ... I think there could be some overlap in functionality, possibly clashing. Only one way to find out is to dig into the box. Search this thread ... some pages have pictures of the stock setup .... it will be helpful to you.
  20. Austini

Austini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks MXS, i'll have a look into it today, I presume the main contactor is just a solenoid. I have a pic of the solenoid that is fitted in mine I presume that's not standard and has been fitted aftermarket?

Attached Files: