Electric Motorcycle conversions!

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by MATTY, Jan 13, 2018.

1. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Any on this forum undertaking or contemplating doing an Electric Motorcycle conversion ?
    If so what are you converting? and what Motor batteries controllers ar you using. ?
    pops likes this.
  2. ADK

ADK .........................

Oddometer:
    There is a thread where a guy converted an old Kawasaki, do a search. :thumb
  3. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
    Contemplating, but it's not a near term thing. More of a background thought, researching, etc.

If you're not looking for very long range and want to keep costs down, guides like these are a good overview of what's involved:

https://www.homepower.com/articles/vehicles/project-profiles/electric-motorcycle-diy-primer

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-ELECTRIC-MOTORCYCLE/

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-96-Volt-Electric-Motorcycle/

There is also a dedicated EV Forum that has a decent motorcycle section. I don't know the rules about linking other forums here (some boards are twitchy about such things), but it's easy enough to find.

Adding range just means going with different batteries (packs from the Nissan Leaf seem a popular choice, along with the obvious Tesla batts) and spending more $$$.

There are also resources for designing/building your own lithium packs if you happen to also be an electrical engineer or really want to deep dive into it.
    pops likes this.
  4. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been considering converting an blown up missing the engine Yamaha FZR400 to electric. The 400's have an aluminum frame versus the 600's steel. Gas tank is already a false cover. This new category of Advrider is going to be fun to follow.
    Curgin, MATTY and wheresbaoskee like this.
  5. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    I Have no real plans but i am thinking a trials bike with a blown or tired engine, rare i know but if i could find one. Try a wheel chair motor set up in one, as a cheap toy to develop further as better motors become available in the future.
    12grumpy and falcn like this.
  6. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That'd be a nice set up, great to practice trials with, even in an urban back yard. There are so many options out there to build, now if time + money can find a way to enter in my garages equation, I'd be set.
  7. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    The neat thing is
    it has potential in bringing back from the dead in to use a bike that would otherwise just give up its cycle parts and effectively exist no more.
    This way its not only surviving admitted in a different guise, but it is crossing over the line into the Electric age from Internal combustion in a back yard way, motorcycle tech belongs in back yards some good stuff as come from back yard workshops. .
    Dixon likes this.
  8. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thinking of that for my Beta Zero
  9. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of wheel motors and controller from an old electric mobility scooter and a Honda ST90 with a engine that burns a lot of oil.

I keep thinking about it.
    Curgin, derblauereiter and pops like this.
  10. Frank06

Frank06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done 3 bike conversions and (ahem) currently race 2 of them (drags and land speed). There are several forums, just do a search.
    MJSfoto1956 and pops like this.
  11. zig06

zig06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Converting to electric power is all about commitment. You have to be willing to lay out a fair amount of cash (a few thousand USD) before you can expect a decent end product. That's not to say that you won't, but again speed, power and distance all have a price, it's up to you to decide how much it's worth.

That said, I have converted 1 motorcycle and 1 riding lawn mower to electric power. The first attempt was the bike and my cheapness ruined the end product. I learned from that and did better with the lawn mower conversion, which actually worked out pretty good. Went with a 48 volt system but was wishing that I had gone with at least 60 volts ~ live and learn! Sitting on a couple of permanent magnet ME 72VDC motors, not sure what to do with them but when the right motorcycle chassis comes along something good is going to happen!
    voltsxamps likes this.
  12. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Frank06 conversions. Here are some fuzzy stills from shaky videos.

Converted Suzuki shown in far lane. By the end the electric Suzuki was way ahead.
    EDrag.jpg

Converted 'busa at the LSR timing lights. Multiple runs over 200 including one at 206mph, but this sub-200 run was for stability-testing revised bodywork.
    ELSR.jpg
    voltsxamps, Todd157k, Cat0020 and 3 others like this.
  13. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Matty
    I am still playing with the idea of converting my sidecar wheel to electric drive.I already have 2 wheel drive using a shaft set up.I have found over a few years, the 2 wheel drive is only being used to help get through a bad patch of track most times first gear stuff.
    It would be nice to have 2 wheel drive on demand, as well as reverse ?
    I should be picking up a electric Scooter soon, hopefully.
    .I think the owner said it has a 75v 500w motor.
    A Large , but hopefully enjoyable learning curve coming up .
    FR700 and wheresbaoskee like this.
  14. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:

There is a dedicated electric motorcycle builders forum with tons of DIY, how-I-made-it, info:
    http://www.elmoto.net/

Then, there's a electric motorcycle thread or sub-forum at Endless-Sphere, which is generally for ebikes and escooters, where you can see long threads about how conversions went.
    FR700, pops and MATTY like this.
  15. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see this thread: still in pipe-dream phase, I wanna make a 1970's Yamaha DT250 or similar into an EV. Will be checking through the links and forums listed here.
    BlueHeart and pops like this.
  16. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have some leftovers from the electric car I built (since scrapped). They include a DC series wound motor strong enough to power a small car very expeditiously, and a 156 kW controller to drive it.

My thinking has been to find a Moto Guzzi with a CARC rear end. Drive the CARC with a cog belt straight from the motor, and the whole driveline should just fit where the original Guzzi engine/gearbox was. Get maybe a 15 kWh lithium pack made up for it by LunaCycle and you're done. (Well, all that along with a squillion other little details.)

The controller has a 1000 amp current limit. It's adjustable, so I can dial it down to whatever lets me smoke the tire at will. That has the effect of giving me constant torque from zero to near highway speed before back EMF makes the power curve start leveling off and start dropping.

Should be a nice scoot. Now I just need to build it.
    pops likes this.
  17. TorkeFUN

TorkeFUN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AllAround1.jpg
    Finished this 2 years ago. It was a 1975 Yamaha RD-250 with a badly blown motor. Installed 11 Nissan Leaf 58Ah batteries @ 90V peak for a 5.5Kwh capacity. Its good for about 45~55 mile range and top's out at 80mph. The motor is a Motenergy ME1006 PMDC motor, supplied by an Alltrax 550A controller. Enjoy!
    Dorzok, Draechon, EastRoad and 18 others like this.
  18. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks very good, nice job!
  19. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    TorkeFUN and pops like this.
  20. TorkeFUN

TorkeFUN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ben Nelson (runs 300mpg.org) is a great guy, He's a friend of mine! He does an awesome job of documenting everything, and is extremely informative. Last Friday he was repairing a Brammo Enertia and was hit by a truck. Not life threatening injuries, but he's gonna be in the hospital for a few days recovering. Send some good vibes his way.
    Bolzen, torch and pops like this.