Electric Motorcycle conversions!

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by MATTY, Jan 13, 2018.

1. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I missed this.

Breaking spokes at the nipple means one thing - the spoke is being bent, and that bending force is concentrated at the nipple. It happens because the rim wasn't drilled properly for the application and the angle of the spoke hole doesn't match the angle of the spoke. Or radial lacing is used where torque is being applied to the hub.

The reason bicycle parts are so cheap is that they are made by the millions. It's rare (and therefore relatively expensive) to get rims custom drilled for bicycles, because normally the diameter difference between hub and rim is so large, and the variations in hub diameters and flange widths are so small that you can drill all the rims the same. (Those dimensions do become important for spoke lengths of course.)

When you get to really large diameter hubs and their severe spoke angles, you can reach a point where a standard rim won't let you drill a hole at the proper angle. That's when you get into special rims like those with an inner flange, where the spoke is inserted in the rim and the nipple is in the hub. Or other, similarly unconventional rim/hub/spoke arrangements like you find on some big ADV bikes.

Bottom line, spokes are meant for tension only. You don't want any bending forces at the nipple, either from incorrect drilling or torque from drive or braking forces. If you have radial lacing to a hub motor and you aren't breaking spokes, understand that the nipples are moving slightly in the rim (rotating in their seats) every time you accelerate (and brake if you have regen or a disc brake). The reason the spokes aren't breaking is that the holes have enough clearance to accommodate that rotation. So keep your eyes open for loose spokes. It's either that or you're gentle with your power and braking. High-power MTB applications with radial lacing like what started this discussion are asking for trouble.
  2. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a Beta Zero I was thinking of doing this with, but looking for a kit engine setup.
  3. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    6962F9E5-7516-4DC2-8D59-BFC83A453A05.jpeg

^ 232kWh between two wheels anyone?! Or just use a portion of the cells from a Tesla pack like this guy who swapped his Zero’s cells with 18650’s from a Model S:

pops and Ditch like this.
  4. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    IF I were to do this it'd be a scooter. It's going to be difficult/expensive to make something fast enough to challenge a scooter chassis anyway. A scooter with a non-working motor is going to be cheap to source and you can buy GY6 compatible swingarms with electric motor already fitted (in various sizes) from Alibaba "" battery packs & electronics and there's plenty of room under a scooter seat for batteries.

Yeah, I'd like an electric bike but right now at sane prices the range isn't there for one to be that usable for me (My smallest fun loop is around 80ks). An electric scoot for the 10k commute I have would work though.
    wheresbaoskee and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  5. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW - I've got well over 80km range (more like 100-140km depending on flogging and pedaling, etc.) on a bike that sans battery was ~$US2K - I already had batteries when I built it

A scooter is a very different animal though - the bike isn't setup to go all that fast... I usually cruise around 25-30kph although it will easily cruise at 40kph (with reduced range) and maxes out at over 55kph

I don't ride on the streets though - that's not it's purpose and one reason my cruise speeds are what they are since the trails aren't suitable for that
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nearest dirt road more than a couple of k's long is around 80k's away and it's 80-100kph roads. There are a lot of backroads around here but most would be pushing a e-bike for range. (As above around 80k's, a lot of 80kph+ and hills). So the scooter/commute really is the only good option for me.
  7. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the exhaust-pipe looking thingy?
  8. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perhaps a touch of humor? I wondered the same thing. It looks like a great bike, nice stats too.
  9. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    As of this moment i still have no project Trials bike but i have been looking lately at possible power packs.
    Seen a few videos on you tube on building domestic powerwalls from car battrey cells nissan volt cells, and 1860 battries . is this the best option?
    I was thinking the scrap laptop bbattries / 18650s and check them sort out the good ones get a cell up and reliable.
    Is this idea of old car cells a good idea or not any other options.
  10. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:

If you haven't already, check out the Endless Sphere forums. Lots of info on battery pack build-ups, and a fairly robust "Flea Market" where folks are selling new/used vehicle cells, 18650 sets, and various other packs. Enough knowledgeable folks there to reasonably trust you'd be getting stuff worth buying from what I've ascertained thus far.
    MATTY likes this.
  11. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd mention. Battery is put together of two or more Cells. Many cells connected together = Battery.
    I went through the process of gathering old batteries from laptops, remove the cells, check them for capacity and voltage. My conclusion. Unless you're completely broke, and really like to tinker with the thing, it is easier to purchase new cells. You get more reliable and constant cells that way. As for purchasing batterypack from a car, you might get lucky, but it's still more work than purchasing box of identical new cells. New cells are cheap per cell when purchased in volume of 1000 or more from a good wholesaler, and should give you 5-20 worry free years of powerwall service.
    MATTY and wheresbaoskee like this.
  12. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Good info people thank you.