1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Things are reversed when the car has electric and the sportbike runs on petrol:

Make that Tesla sedan a heavier SUV towing a super car, and drag race it against an Italian supercar quicker than a Lamborghini Diablo: (3:15-5:15) :war

Now take a couple Teslas, a liter bike, a few supercars, and race those against an electric motorcycle-->

Imagine if Tesla made a motorcycle!
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  2. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Electric Motorcycle News :lurk

ALTA BEGINS DELIVERIES TO CUSTOMERS
    posted August 18, 2016

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/18/alta-motors-redshift-electric-motorcycle-finally-ready/ :clap

DUTCH STUDENTS LAUNCH AROUND-THE-WORLD ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLE TRIP
    Posted on Aug 15, 2016

[​IMG]

http://www.nltimes.nl/2016/08/15/dutch-students-launch-around-world-electric-motorcycle-trip/ :strum

Update:

NPD part of electric motorcycle pilot program
    Published: Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016

[​IMG]
    http://www.newtondailynews.com/2016/08/16/npd-part-of-electric-motorcycle-pilot-program/a6pbvvx/ :pynd
  3. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    WSJ's recent take on electric motorcycles

http://www.wsj.com/video/electric-m...ack/F9EF27C9-0426-4027-B6D9-287CF9711671.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/electric-motorcycles-as-fast-and-furious-as-gas-powered-bikes-1467903039

Energica Sells Every Electric Motorcycle It Can Build (w/Video)
    August 26th, 2016 by Steve Hanley

[​IMG]

Energica has been called the “Tesla of motorcycles.” Unlike Harley Davidson, which claims the world is not yet ready for an electric motorcycle, Italian start-up Energica is proving there is a market for high end electric bikes — if they have the performance to match. According to a press release from the company, it has completely sold out its entire stock and is racing to catch up with demand.

The company currently has dealers in Switzerland, Germany, Norway, The Netherlands, England, Spain, and Portugal. It recently opened a splashy new showroom near the Mission District in San Francisco and is negotiating for space in the heart of Paris.

http://gas2.org/2016/08/26/energica-sells-every-electric-motorcycle-can-build-wvideo/
    EvrythingAwesom and Cromoth like this.
  4. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:
    voltsxamps likes this.
  5. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    okay, so not a motorcycle, but this labor of love falls in line with what many DIY electro-afficianatos have done to create some of the first electric motorcycles..

[​IMG]
    Using the chassis from a 1978 model that was destined for the scrapheap, the "308 GTE" is the world's first electric-powered Ferrari, according to its creator Eric Hutchison from California-based Electric GT.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/motorsport/ferrari-308-electric-world-first/index.html
  6. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    So, 500,000+ electric cars and motorcycles on US roads... would you agree?

Can someone please inform the official electric car/motorcycle "counting webpage" that the Egroms should be included? They are also missing a few other electric motorcycles, but oddly enough, their website counts the short-range Quantya electric motorcycle, which to my knowledge, isn't being produced any longer.

https://pluginamerica.org/vehicles/

** aside: National Electric Drive Week is in cooperation with the Sierra Club, which is, iirc, according to the hacked Soros emails, a Soros-creation. Yup, the Soros who said, "I am God. I created everything. I created Hillary...etc".
  7. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The 238lb KTM Freerides, (E-SM, E-XC, & E-SX) pack a 16kW (260v) motor good for 2.6kWh making 22hp, and recharges from 0-100% in just 80 minutes (50 minutes 0 to 80%) on 220v.

http://www.ktm.com/e-ride/freeride-e-sm-2016/

I'm a fan of KTM's, however the Freerides pack just half the power per kg and one-quarter the torque compared to a similarly priced Alta:

Alta Redshift: $14,995
    47.35 kWh per kg (5.8kWh, 122.47kg/270lb)
    350v 15lb/6.8kg powerpack producing 122 ft-lb torque & 25/40hp

KTM Freeride: $14,630
    24.31 kWh per kg (2.6kWh, 107.95 kg/238lb)
    260v 61lb/28kg powerpack producing 31 ft-lb torque & 15/22hp

KTM's differentiator is getting you back in the saddle in as little as an hour (Alta's 110v charging require 4 hours to recharge), however, finding available 220v outlets to plug into is much more challenging than 110v. The most likely place you'll connect your KTM to 220 is at your house.. where you least likely need rapid recharge, explaining why KTM designed their 220v charger to be connected to a vehicle for on the go recharging. Fine as long you stay in range of your parked vehicle.

Comparatively, Alta's massive power per pound sets the bar pretty high for all other el-moto manufacturers, so I don't believe that KTM's L2 charge capability is enough to offset it's power deficit against it's chief competition. Given KTM's reputation for quality, though, I feel that it's current Freeride series of bikes would have better marketability if reduced to a lower price point of $9999-$10,999.
  8. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Newly announced Tork T6X electric motorcycle achieves its 100 km range by having its top speed limited to 85 km/hr. Other technical specs are unknown at this point, but the article below gives a good impression of the viability of the Tork's entry into the world of production el-motos.

[​IMG]
    The team at Tork Motors have a fabulous 7-year track record in this segment including podium finish at the Mecca of Electric Racing—Isle of Man.

full article:
    http://www.business-standard.com/ar...c-motorcycle-by-next-year-116091000481_1.html

Tork is such a great name for an el-moto! Torque is either the first or second thing someone thinks of when riding an electric motorcycle, the other being silent. Personally, I think 100km is the absolute minimum needed to satisfy most city commuting needs and happens to also be the avg. range for the best selling Nissan Leaf.

Of course, I'll always be happy with more range. 300km per charge would definitely be more to my personal liking so I could take on more adventure rides. (Zero is right around 200 miles per charge with it's optional powertank, albeit, at city speeds). Once battery tech and motor efficiency can get el-motos to go for 500km per charge, I think that will be the tipping point when the avg. rider will buy one, as long as prices are within 20% of their gas counterparts.
  9. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Zero & Brammo riders may soon have access to Tesla charging stations:

JDapter™ - Tesla Charging for your Electric Vehicle (EV)

[​IMG]
    Charge any EV in North America or Japan with Tesla charging stations
    with the exception of Tesla Superchargers.

JDapter™ works with:
    • Tesla "Destination chargers"
    • Tesla UMC
    • Tesla Mobile Connector
    • Tesla HPWC
    • Tesla Wall Connector

Kickstarter starts in 4 days (Sept. 16th). $199 https://jdapter.quickchargepower.com
    Pacific Time Zone, 8am to 5pm. 1-844-387-2787 1-844-EV-PARTS
  10. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

Some Indian companies are electric pioneers.

BMC ebike electric motors were awesome, imo. Brushless, all the electronics inside. They needed DIY external heat sinks for heavier riders, or hilly terrain.

One Indian e-car maker also pre-dated the China electric minicars. Most-popular e-car in London UK, once.
  11. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

Iirc, Tesla owners get free lifetime charging.

So, will non-Tesla owners get free electricity, too?
  12. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

Great analysis!!
  13. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! If I were to spend 15 grand on an electric, I'd be hard pressed not to buy an Alta SM, though there are other strong contenders in this price range, notably the Zero DSR.

More el-moto news:
    https://cyclingindustry.news/poc-founder-moves-on-to-launch-cake-electric-motorcycle-label/

Hoping that Evoke can get their more powerful lithium models imported to the US soon, and if the specs remain the same, they may have the best el-moto value in the 5-6K range.

[​IMG]
    "might be awhile to get them Stateside, as we're focusing on expanding the Asian market first in China, HK, Philippines and Vietnam, but we'll be sure to update the industry when we do." -Nathan Sly (Evoke)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    They're website shows they added dealer support in UK & Switzerland. Hopefully the US market is next. http://www.evokemotorcycles.com/evoke-os.html
  14. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    "Cake"? Will he be riding on the "Cake By The Ocean" that's playing on every radio station, every 30 minutes, lol?
  15. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
  16. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    Nathan Siy's "Evoke" electric motorcycles are selling in China.

Can anybody find the reviews (in Chinese) so they can be auto-translated?

In Endless Sphere, Siy posted that their company is looking for dealers in North America, already having conquered Asia, Europe, etc.
  17. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Update:

Tork Motorcycles Gets Over 1,000 Pre-Bookings For T6X In 24 Hours
    By CarAndBike Team Oct 01, 2016

• Deliveries will begin only in the next year
    • The Pre-booking can be done for free on company's website
    • The Tork T6X has been priced at Rs. 1.25 lakh ($1875 USD)

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/tork-motorcycles-gets-over-1-000-pre-bookings-for-t6x-in-24-hours-1468880

[​IMG]
    It took the company 7 years to get the T6X ready for sale.
    [​IMG]
    There were certain people associated with the R&D, who are Isle of Man TT veterans as well.

Power on the Tork T6X comes from an 6 kW (8 bhp) electric motor, equivalent to a 200cc, paired to an automatic transmission. The bike gets telescopic front forks and a monoshock suspension setup at the rear, while braking power comes from discs at the front and rear. Interestingly, Tork says the bike will also come with ABS when it goes on sale.

Tork Motorcycles originates from a racing heritage having proved its dominance on the Isle of Man TT circuit and the T6X emerges as product of the same. The electric car is underpinned by a trellis frame, while ensuring traction are the dual compound tyres. The bike boasts of a range of 500 km on a single charge courtesy of the lithium-ion batteries, the only component that has been imported on the bike and can be charged via a 15 Amp socket with 80 per cent charge available in one hour. Tork tells us that the batteries are good to go for 1000 charging cycles, which equates to around 1 lakh kilometres in ideal conditions.

Then there is the al-digital instrument cluster on the Tork T6X that will be showcasing a host of details including an in-built GPS system. What also makes the T6X interesting is the company's TIROS (Tork Intuitive Response System). Given the novelty surrounding the bike, the TIROS system allows the company to keep a tab on the bike and all its service necessities remotely. Essentially, a cloud system, TIROS can be updated over the air and will can add more features to the bike as and when the system is updated. The system will also allow you to alter the top speed of the The cloud computing system is something we have seen on Tesla cars and Kapil does mention how the former continues to inspire their vision with the T6X.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/tork-moto...ke-t6x-will-be-priced-at-rs-1-25-lakh-1397927

6kW.. lithium.. 100km range.. 85kph.. 80% charge in one hour.. $1875.. now just make it DOT certified, ship it to the US, and take my money!
  18. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

Had a 6kw non-hub motor before. Similar specs if it had LiPO, like the Tork.

Your Boom can have Tork-like specs, with a change to LiPO.

Will paper-critique the Tork when time allows. One word, for now: Avoid.
  19. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    :clapOn September 24th in Scottsdale, Arizona, Alta Motors earned their first national race victory with Kurt Nicoll at Round 4 of the EnduroCross series in the vet class. The win is a first for Alta on the national level, and the first for an electric motorcycle in the EnduroCross series.

[​IMG]
    Alta’s team of 50 has built a groundbreaking electric drivetrain that provides instant torque, selective mapping and a level of control that is unparalleled in its gas equivalents. Putting down over 500 ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheel from 0 RPM and 40 peak horsepower.

.. And for some racing on something a little less dirty, check out the Arc EV3 at the track. Sounds like a jet fighter
  20. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    Chain-and-sprockets, non-hub electric motors, and Alltrax controllers are really obsolete now, except for racing, perhaps. Perhaps, since the 35Kw hub-motored Red Devil eGrom in Taiwan is pacing Ducati gassers on the race track.

People seem to be able to order these 35Kw machines by contacting the builders, see Endless Sphere forum. I'm guessing around US$10K, plus shipping. My local importer says they must be imported as "parts".

In 2008, some Taiwan-hub motors, on China-made scooters (owned several) gained the ability to climb mountain roads at walking-speed, without getting the motor hot. A matching DC cotroller (patented) was necessary. The non-cogging motor-generators were invented in Korea around the same time.

Those 2016 Egroms in AdvRider have non-audible AC-waveform controllers with even-more-efficient hub motors.

In general, the "now-ancient" history of chains-and-sprocket DC electric motorcycles vs the AC hub-motor breakthroughs also can be found in comparing the ~50km range of chain-and-sprocket Lithium el-motos in EValbum.com vs the ~80km range of SLA hub-motored escooters in China in Endless-Sphere. (Have owned both.)

Anybody can build a 120km hub-motored electric scooter for under US$10K. Or, you can just buy one from ZEV, too. Either way, look up reviews and testimonials before buying anything. The key issues are fake LiPO cells and the battery pack BMS.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=zev+...&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=-Y_yV-XPEKKWjQPowJHoDA
    Search Results
    ZEV has 19 electric scooter models The scooters range from the ZEV 3600 with a top speed of 60 kilometres per hour (37 mph) and a range of 32 miles (51 km), to the 10 kW (13 hp) 10 LRC, with a range (at 65% power) of 140 miles (230 km), and a top speed of 130 kilometres per hour (81 mph).
    Z Electric Vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_Electric_Vehicle

Iirc, a Montana ZEV buyer got huge gov'mt credits for his ZEV. On one of the forums, VisForVoltage, i think.

As for me, it's obvious that the E-grom's "cuteness" allows me to ride it everywhere, anywhere, anytime. If more range, or faster recharging is needed, a switch to LiPO and a 15A charger (the largest portable battery charger I can find on Aliexpress.com) is avaiable for ~US$1K. To go 90KPH, going to 96V is doable for cheap, as proven by VoltsXamps' awesome very-low-cost modding.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=78697&p=1167273&hilit=shenta#p1167273
    Red Devil at Taipei
    [​IMG]by Shenta » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Hello all,

I would like to share my electric mod Honda grom, after remove the gasoline engine, we put in a 45hp hub motor, with 72v 600amp (800phase) controller, and a 80ah of LiPoFe4 battery. We are able to achieve 0~60mph best record around 3.65sec with Q6000 racing logger, the build is not that expensive especially with price drop on the batteries in recent years, but the love and labor into it was tremendous, I would say I spend about UDS6~7K on the parts, and 3 month on the labor (full time), I did use all the BEST stuff I could find, Ohlin suspension, BT601 Tires (only last about 1,000km), Brembo brakes...etc. This devil was build an year ago, and we have run some heavy testing on this platform for over an year, and we really like it's performance... if anyone is in Taipei by chance, just let me know, I am more than glad to take you on a joy ride.
    On the race track, taking down a Ducati 1199

BTW, 2016 eGrom owners are lucky, timing-wise. I and my escooting friends have burned out, fixed, modded many brushed, and some brushless, electric motors, prior to 2011. Some, from just going downhill at 40kph, with no throttle.
    voltsxamps and Cromoth like this.