Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Nice word salad you have there. Have to waste my time with this shit, but letting it stand just means someone will get fooled by it.

Ok, for starters. When do YOU think they will be charged on average? I dunno about anyone else, but I plug mine in at home and charge overnight. Utilities at the executive level for the power company that I worked for were actually looking forward to EVs due to that fact that they would charge overnight. What do YOU think happens with the load on the system. Ever heard of a load curve or load profile? EV charging helps utilities with dispatching their units more evenly. It's a lot harder on any system to cycle on and off. You only have so many on/off cycles before a major overhaul. You also have run hours to that overhaul, but those hours are a lot higher that cycles.

As for old tech, so is the ICE vehicle, but I will address this more below.

The rest of your message is more shit coming out of your mouth.

There are a couple reasons why EVs didn't take off 100 years ago. The first was range along with the expansion of gas stations. Add in the fact that they weren't considered "manly" because you can start one with the push of a button instead of a hand crank and well. The EVs of 100 years ago were fine machines other than the range and even slower charging than now. Couple that with more gas stations and well.... That also meant development money didn't pour into them much until recently.

As for the price since you just keep spouting off. Do you think your electric bill hasn't increased over the years? How about that gas bill that fluctuates all over the place. Hey, what happened only a week ago in Saudi Arabia and what the did the oil price do?

Where the fuck do you get it can not be stored long term? It's being done and more money is being pumped into it as we speak.

Try doing some reading.

http://css.umich.edu/factsheets/us-grid-energy-storage-factsheet
    upload_2019-9-20_14-5-39.png
    upload_2019-9-20_14-6-17.png

https://www.greentechmedia.com/arti...torage-projects-built-around-the-world-in-the
    Traxx, RedRocket, Yinzer Moto and 3 others like this.
  2. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you’re saying when every household plugging in their vehicles to charge will not cause an enormous increase in electricity demand and price?
    Traxx likes this.
  3. ctromley

ctromley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobalt use in today's batteries is miniscule compared to its other uses in industrial processes, metal alloys, pigments, etc. It is also a supply chain risk for battery manufacturers, which is why every new development being worked on for advanced batteries includes eliminating cobalt. It will be completely gone from batteries in a few years.

You're scraping the bottom of the EV-hater's barrel of retorts. Try something else. My conscience is just fine, thank you, how's yours after being repeatedly shot down for your lame, repeatedly debunked EV-hater BS? What's next, the old chestnut of a Corvette having a smaller carbon foot print that a Prius?
    RedRocket, MJSfoto1956 and kiwial like this.
  4. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    He really is a waste of time on this.

Just bounces around and never ACTUALLY addresses any point except one quick thing that he just latches onto and makes some non-reply like above about how I somehow said something I didn't. Sigh...

Utilities are happy to have this load in the face of falling demand. Will there be come capital investment to upgrade some parts of the grid, yes, but they can plan for this and have been doing so. Will there also be an increase of load on the grid. Yes, some, but being able to bring on those assets that are offline normally at night means they are making money rather that just sitting there. The load for charging EVs overnight can be compared to a very hot summer day with all ACs running. That is a high load. Yet the world won't switch over to EVs overnight. Overall EVs are a boon for them.

Bet he doesn't even know that the current being drawn for EV charging can be changed... The next thing you know he'll be railing against LED lighting.
    MJSfoto1956 and kiwial like this.
  5. ctromley

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. What do you not get about my EV, charged solely at home, not increasing my bill enough so I can even see it? The same ignorant panic gripped the UK some years back and their power companies shot it down too.

What do you not understand about the link I posted about the electric power companies projecting flat demand, even with a large increase in EVs? Did you even read it? Or would that be too big a risk to your world view?

It's quite obvious that rational thought just bounces off your Shining Shield of Determined Ignorance.
    kiwial likes this.
  6. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cobalt used in batteries is 60% of world annual cobalt production.

Obviously scheduled to rise with mass move to electric vehicles being predicted.
    Traxx likes this.
  7. ctromley

Oddometer:
    Obviously not, since every battery manufacturer is working to eliminate it.

Y'know what? You're a complete waste of time. It's not even worth correcting the dangerous mis-information you're spewing, because anyone reading this far can see your Shining Shield of Determined Ignorance allows you to completely ignore inconvenient facts. Which makes your retorts at best incoherent, at worst downright silly.

I'm done here. Some people can't be helped.
    MJSfoto1956 and kiwial like this.
  8. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m not talking about your ev. I’m not interested in fringe dwellers.

So relatively fixed supply of electricity coupled with massive demand increase (daily to propel say 50% of road vehicles in 10 years) will not raise electricity prices through the roof?

I just want to frame your reply.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A extremely gentle reminder:

Forum angst is not welcome here. If you're gnashing your teeth about another inmate, instead of posting on the topic at hand, you're in the wrong place.
    Mofrid likes this.
  10. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XRHondaguy is the first inmate I’ve put on ignore. I’ll see how this works. :-)
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  11. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He is by definition trolling this thread to impose his views on the thread participants (yet whining about it at the same time). It would be appropriate to ban such a troll as he has plenty of other threads here on ADV to masturbate about how wonderful ICE is.

YMMV

M
  12. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    When people try to be right just for the sake of it and keep on insisting with their type of argumentation, no matter what ('ego-tripping'), together with putting other people down (bullying), it is because they try to make themselves feel superior, to make up for their inferiority complex.
    And the sole reason I am writing this is to make the reader conscious of what's unconscious and therefore take away some of the negative power the Shadow has on oneself and others.

(Waiting for an 'emotional reaction out of proportion to the circumstances', which indicates you found a persons Shadow and triggered their Shadow projection)
  13. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GS-A-Day and voltsxamps like this.
  14. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    First look: 68 MPH (110 km/h) Sur Ron Storm Bee street-legal electric motorcycle
    Micah Toll

- Sep. 22nd 2019 5:16 am ET

[​IMG]

The upcoming Sur Ron Storm Bee electric motorcycle is shaping up to become an aggressive offering both on road and off road. We’ve just received more specs and a first look at the new electric motorcycle, which appears to live up to the hype.

Upcoming Sur Ron Storm Bee
    The electric motorcycle industry has been waiting for new info on the much anticipated Sur Ron Storm Bee electric motorcycle for weeks now.

We first reported on leaks regarding the Storm Bee’s performance figures last month. Early reports indicated a higher speed and power electric motorcycle compared to the existing 45 mph (72 km/h) 6 kW Sur Ron Light Bee (Firefly) electric motorcycle.

Now we’re getting our first look at the bike and its specs thanks to Bruno Bari Buccianti, host of the popular (and high energy) BrunoPOWEEER YouTube channel. And there’s good news for those looking to take their Sur Ron on the streets: It looks like the company has committed to producing both on- and off-road versions of the Storm Bee.

[​IMG]

Sur Ron Storm Bee specs
    According to the spec sheet supplied to Electrek, the Sur Ron Storm Bee will feature a 22.5 kW (30 hp) air-cooled motor putting out 520 Nm (382 lb-ft) of stump-pulling torque.

Suspension includes an adjustable inverted front fork with 290 mm (11 in) of travel and an adjustable rear mono-shock also offering 290 mm (11 in) of rear wheel travel.

The top speed of the forged-aluminum framed bike will reach 68 mph (110 km/h). Range at 31 mph (50 km/h) is estimated at 60 miles (100 km) based on the 4.6 kWh battery. That battery will also feature high power Sony VTC6 cells, a popular battery cell used in the DIY battery building community.

Speaking of DIY, the Sur Ron Storm Bee will feature a 150V sine wave controller. That leaves a large ceiling for DIYers to hot rod the Sur Ron with a higher voltage battery than the stock 96V pack, offering the potential for higher speeds and power levels.

[​IMG]

While still a light electric motorcycle, the Sur Ron Storm Bee will be fairly hefty compared to its predecessor. The off-road Storm Bee will weigh in at 118 kg (260 lb) while the street-legal version will tip the scales at 127 kg (280 lb).

The disparity in weight can be attributed to the other differences between the models. To help achieve homologation for street use, the on-road Sur Ron Storm Bee will include an LED light package including a head light, tail light and turn signals. It will also feature a license plate holder, mirror, street-rated tires and other necessary components.

The street-legal Storm Bee will also feature ABS brakes and smartphone app connectivity, though details are still scarce regarding the functionality of the app.

According to Bruno, the Storm Bee will reach the Australian distributor by the end of 2019, though timing for release in other markets is yet to be announced.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Traxx, Neil E., snowjob and 1 other person like this.
  15. snowjob

snowjob Thinking about bikes....

Oddometer:
    Excellent, looks closer to Alta than the KTM Freeride attempt. A little less battery but similar weight. Also a little less HP. Hopefully a lot less $$.
    Traxx and voltsxamps like this.
  16. ctromley

Oddometer:
    30 hp and under 300# sure gets my attention, not to mention it just begs to be hot-rodded - which it certainly will be. I'm not generally a big fan of the SM concept, but this could change my mind (assuming proper tires are available in the sizes needed). I wonder if Sur-Ron has any interest in more of a street orientation, because I sure do.
    Traxx likes this.
  17. ScottieDucati

ScottieDucati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m sure they have interest. But wight and range are limiting, particularly for a budget bike. This thing looks like a perfect fun woods bike!!
    Traxx and Neil E. like this.
  18. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    It’s finally here: Arcimoto is delivering its 75 MPH electric trike fun-mobile
    Micah Toll

- Sep. 23rd 2019 6:53 am ET

[​IMG]

Oregon-based Arcimoto has been working on its three-wheeled electric vehicle for years now. But before you call it vaporware, think again. The Arcimoto FUV has just begun retail production and deliveries.

Arcimoto Fun Utility Vehicle begins production
    Arcimoto’s Fun Utility Vehicle (FUV) is half electric car, half electric motorcycle.

Taking the form of a tadpole tricycle, where the two wheels are placed in the forward position, the vehicle is technically classified as a motorcycle. But the seating and stability give it more of an electric car or even go-kart feel.

Sure, it’s odd. But that hasn’t stopped the company from raising tons of money and beginning retail sales earlier this year.

As of this June, the number of pre-orders stood at 4,128.

[​IMG]

The Arcimoto FUV has a top speed of 75 mph (121 km/h) and an estimated city range of 102.5 miles (165 km). Arcimoto claims it achieves an efficiency of 173.7 MPGe. It also comes with a number creature comforts including heated seats, heated grips (did we mention it has handlebars instead of a steering wheel?), Bluetooth speakers, removable half doors and lockable rear storage.

According to Arcimoto’s Founder and President Mark Frohnmayer:

“The FUV represents a significant step toward a sustainable transportation future in which vehicles are fully electric and right-sized for the needs of everyday drivers. This is a truly significant moment for Arcimoto as we launch retail production and delivery of the Fun Utility Vehicle for the first time in the company’s history.”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Arcimoto FUV is built in Oregon and comes with an MSRP of $19,990.

The company aims to reduce the price down to around $12,000 if they can hit large enough production volume.

As Mark expanded:

“In 2007, we set out to build the world’s most affordable and efficient everyday electric vehicle that also happened to be insanely fun to drive. The FUV Evergreen Edition is the realization of that vision. With the FUV, you save money on gas, time on parking, and your daily commute is transformed into a pure electric joyride. Finally, a practical, American-made solution to the two greatest challenges facing the world today: global warming and getting groceries.

As we scale operations and drive down costs, we intend to introduce even more affordable variations until we hit our target base price of $11,900. The Evergreen epitomizes our commitment to an American-made everyday electric vehicle that is affordable for everyone. It is the FUV by which all other FUVs will be measured.”

The FUV is also part of a suite of vehicles built on the same platform. Aricomoto has rolled out examples of delivery vehicles and even first responder vehicles such as ambulances and fire trucks based on the FUV platform.

[​IMG]

$100 to save your spot in line. Fully refundable at any time, for any reason.
    MJSfoto1956 and Monkeyshines like this.
  19. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Check out Gogoro’s giant new battery swap stations for its electric scooters
    Micah Toll

- Sep. 23rd 2019 11:57 am

[​IMG]

Gogoro has pretty much set the world standard for how battery swap stations for electric scooters should operate. But that doesn’t mean they’ve stopped innovating. The company just unveiled new, larger battery swap GoStations along with a number of other fascinating announcements.

Gogoro’s new GoStations
    Taiwan-based Gogoro electric scooters rely on the company’s GoStations to swap out discharged batteries for fresh packs. There are over 1,000 such GoStations across Taiwan, helping Gogoro maintain nearly the entire market share of electric scooters in the country. In Taipei alone, riders are never further than 1 km (0.6 mi) from a battery swap station.

Now Gogoro is announcing a new design for its ubiquitous battery swap stations. The new stations, known as the GoStation 3, offer up to 50% more batteries than the previous version and yet reduce the physical footprint required by the station.

The station can actually power itself off of some of its batteries in the event of a power interruption. It can apparently continue operating without a power source for over two and a half days.

And in the event of power outages, the station can operate bidirectionally to help power urban microgrids and keep critical systems running in a city.

[​IMG]

And more even bigger GoStations
    As if that wasn’t enough, Gogoro also announced even larger GoStations known as Super GoStations.

The giant battery swap stations can retain as much as 200 kWh of energy. That’s enough to support up to 1,000 riders in the area, according to Gogoro.

Gogoro will be rolling out the Super GoStations immediately and plans to have them in six different major cities by the end of 2019.

[​IMG]

New Flex Plan makes battery swaps surprisingly cheap
    Gogoro also announced its new Flex Plan pricing structure. While riders were previously charged by the kilometer for the subscription-based electric scooter service, the new Flex Plan will see them charged by the Ah, a unit of measure of battery capacity. This means riders are more accurately charged for the energy they use.

The Flex Plan will cost TWD $299 (US $9.60) per month for the subscription and another TWD $2.30 (US $0.07) per Ah used.

That means cost per distance will vary based on riding style and speed, but a rough ballpark would put it at around 20 km (12 mi) for one US dollar at city speeds. That’s not bad.

It also rewards those who drive more efficiently and don’t have a lead foot -errr, wrist.

[​IMG]

Electrek’s Take
    If you weren’t already a Gogoro fan, it’s hard not to be swayed over by now. Not only are their electric scooters pretty awesome (50 mph or 80 km/h on a cool little two-wheeler!) but the battery swap system is super convenient as well.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gogoro isn’t the only game in town, mind you. Kymco also has a battery-swappable electric scooter swap system known as Kymco IONEX. But the company hasn’t gained much market share compared to Gogoro, who appears to be running away with the show.
  20. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Woo Hoo! I always thought the 3-wheel, enclosed variant the best for world-wide commuter/light commerce platform. 3 wheels lets it side step automotive requirements; enclosed frame/weather protection allows comfortable all-year use; tandem seating (a la Messerschmitt KRs) reduces construction costs related to driving on the left/right while providing a narrow width for EU and Asian roads. If durability tests are successful, I think it is a winner.
    MJSfoto1956 and voltsxamps like this.