Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
  2. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Any ergonomic measurements available for the VOGE?
  3. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    kzeb, MJSfoto1956, Plawa and 2 others like this.
  5. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the most astounding things in all of nature is the fact that the species of homo sapiens has not yet managed to kill itself off. We, as a species, are capable creating phenomenal levels of change in how we relate to each other, yet a large portion of the species reflexively, vehemently resists adapting to change, which leads to intra-species conflict - sometimes quite destructively. Conflict is also frequently based on competition over resources, but as a species we are quite capable of supporting every single individual comfortably. The ability to change our situation is arguably the species' greatest strength, yet we choose conflict and destruction.

Our ability to bring change for our own betterment has at times outpaced our ability to understand all of its effects. Generally we have corrected, but the refusal to change by many has limited our ability to act to reverse the effects of the biggest unintended change to our environment in our entire existence. The self-preservation instinct in lower species morphed into ego in ours. Coupled with our ability to wreak change (including havoc), that ego which exists to preserve the individual may bring the species to an end in a couple of centuries - along with countless other life forms on the planet, something on which we already have a huge head start.

It was bound to be something. It turned out to be the effects of elevated CO2 levels and the many subsequent domino effects, including intra-species conflicts. Whatever happens, this will be what determines whether we will allow ourselves to change and continue living on this rock, or set the stage for something else to follow. (After the planet has some time to correct itself without our meddlesome presence, of course.)

People who need to be "right" in their own minds exact a huge cost on the species as a whole.

Ego
    Is What Separates Us
    From the Higher Species
    kzeb, mousitsas and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  6. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

I still can’t figure out how every electric motorcycle rider hasn’t been killed already due to the lack of a lifesaving loud exhaust system.
    windplay, kzeb, Yinzer Moto and 3 others like this.
  7. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    A better title for that article would be to replace "impossibilities" with "examples of human ignorance." Not one of the "impossibilities" listed was ever impossible. We just weren't smart enough to figure them out yet. One of our greatest dangers as a species is our reluctance to own our ignorance. Which leads directly to our assumption that only our perspective matters in this universe - what is or is not, what can or cannot be, is only valid from our perspective. We're far too busy thinking of ourselves as the ultimate expression of what a life form can be, which is spectacularly arrogant (apparently one of our greatest strengths).

Radio waves have existed quite literally since the beginning of time. (Some of the background noise you hear on your radio between stations is remnants from the Big Bang.) It took several billion years for a universe to form, planets to congeal and cool down, life to form, consciousness to evolve and technological capability to develop to understand that radio waves were even a thing, let alone consider that putting them to use might be an "impossibility" for us to "overcome."

We are so freaking full of ourselves, yet so impossibly ignorant that we are apparently incapable of comprehending our own ignorance. Or is it ego that makes us so blind to it? What was it that someone said recently about ego?
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  8. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the human mind was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it.
  9. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Battery. Thats why and still is the issue.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. ScottieDucati

ScottieDucati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was part of the point! Also no need for crazy range for a playbike
  11. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Some of you folks need to learn we have CSM for CSM discussions.
  12. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you show some “for instance this...”
    There is a YouTube kid with a Tesla S that has been spanking the local ICE cars. He even made it to the reality show Fastest Car, and got spanked by a Mustang Fox body. Now that stang was built as hell, but Average Joe just sees that a Stang beat the EV.
    A guy in Austin built a Electric drag car until It burned down during the charging cycle.
    BMW makes a couple of EV’s that come to mind, only 1 of them looks good. Tesla so far has been the only one to address the looks issue.
    The other thing is to make it cheaper for a comparable size weight power and function.
    Range and charge time. Charge time and fast charge availability are more important. My biggest argument so far has been infrastructure. It is coming and coming quickly, but not yet here. Oh that means FAST charging stations and the overall power grid.
    If EV folks keep trying to force the EV’s down Average Joes throat then, Joe is going to resist. Make it a better option than ICE, Faster, sexyer and cheaper. Then Joe will adopt.
    Quit relying on Tax breaks and grants, that is not always going to be the case. What big government can give, it can take away.

Over the last few years I have been moving my small machines to electric. Lawnmower, weed eater, kids motorcycles etc. not because of the green, but for performance, quiet and maintenance.
    When EV’s are able to meet my wants then I will put my money down. I will not give up what I can easily do with my current vehicles just to say I am green.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  13. Traxx

Oddometer:
    This looks interesting, would really like to see the pricing. Would be a great Ranch bike.

First look: 68 MPH (110 km/h) Sur Ron Storm Bee street-legal electric motorcycle
    Micah Toll

- Sep. 22nd 2019 5:16 am ET

[​IMG]

The upcoming Sur Ron Storm Bee electric motorcycle is shaping up to become an aggressive offering both on road and off road. We’ve just received more specs and a first look at the new electric motorcycle, which appears to live up to the hype.

Upcoming Sur Ron Storm Bee
    The electric motorcycle industry has been waiting for new info on the much anticipated Sur Ron Storm Bee electric motorcycle for weeks now.

We first reported on leaks regarding the Storm Bee’s performance figures last month. Early reports indicated a higher speed and power electric motorcycle compared to the existing 45 mph (72 km/h) 6 kW Sur Ron Light Bee (Firefly) electric motorcycle.

Now we’re getting our first look at the bike and its specs thanks to Bruno Bari Buccianti, host of the popular (and high energy) BrunoPOWEEER YouTube channel. And there’s good news for those looking to take their Sur Ron on the streets: It looks like the company has committed to producing both on- and off-road versions of the Storm Bee.

[​IMG]

Sur Ron Storm Bee specs
    According to the spec sheet supplied to Electrek, the Sur Ron Storm Bee will feature a 22.5 kW (30 hp) air-cooled motor putting out 520 Nm (382 lb-ft) of stump-pulling torque.

Suspension includes an adjustable inverted front fork with 290 mm (11 in) of travel and an adjustable rear mono-shock also offering 290 mm (11 in) of rear wheel travel.

The top speed of the forged-aluminum framed bike will reach 68 mph (110 km/h). Range at 31 mph (50 km/h) is estimated at 60 miles (100 km) based on the 4.6 kWh battery. That battery will also feature high power Sony VTC6 cells, a popular battery cell used in the DIY battery building community.

Speaking of DIY, the Sur Ron Storm Bee will feature a 150V sine wave controller. That leaves a large ceiling for DIYers to hot rod the Sur Ron with a higher voltage battery than the stock 96V pack, offering the potential for higher speeds and power levels.

[​IMG]

While still a light electric motorcycle, the Sur Ron Storm Bee will be fairly hefty compared to its predecessor. The off-road Storm Bee will weigh in at 118 kg (260 lb) while the street-legal version will tip the scales at 127 kg (280 lb).

The disparity in weight can be attributed to the other differences between the models. To help achieve homologation for street use, the on-road Sur Ron Storm Bee will include an LED light package including a head light, tail light and turn signals. It will also feature a license plate holder, mirror, street-rated tires and other necessary components.

The street-legal Storm Bee will also feature ABS brakes and smartphone app connectivity, though details are still scarce regarding the functionality of the app.

According to Bruno, the Storm Bee will reach the Australian distributor by the end of 2019, though timing for release in other markets is yet to be announced.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    kzeb and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  14. millican

millican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traxx,
    That system you work with reminds me of freight trains. The electric motors are easier to sync when multiple engines are used. After seeing my cordless trimmer and battery outlast my gas mower, I bought the mower that uses the same battery (Stihl). It cuts far better and doesn't even slow down in the thick grass. It's just so much nicer to use. I have to shoo the chickens away from it while mowing, unlike with the old gas mower where they ran and hid.
    I'm pretty stoked to see the progress made with electric bikes and vehicles. The charge time is instantaneous compared to the eons it took for petroleum to reach it's energy density. We'll still need it for plastics and thngs.
    MJSfoto1956 and Traxx like this.
  15. Traxx

Oddometer:
    We will still need recycled dinosaurs to manufacture the batteries for the EV’s.
    You are right about the locomotives, the first systems that I worked on used repurposed traction motors for winches and pumps. One even used surplus submarine engine/generators.
    I went with the lowes 80v setup, super light, quiet and I don’t have to worry about the kids putting the wrong gas in the weed eater.
  16. millican

millican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't miss the days of mixing gas. That's for sure. It's nice to see more electric options in stores, especially locally, that weren't there just a season or two ago.
    voltsxamps, MJSfoto1956 and Traxx like this.
  17. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    All my powered yard tools are electric, have been for decades. Including the tractor. Years ago I mowed a sick relative's yard with her gas-burning push mower and couldn't understand how anyone could put up with the foul stink and the racket.

Fast forward to recently, and I was at a local day destination with family for some strolling and window shopping. We were walking out of the parking lot as a beautifully restored 1950s T-bird rolled in. Someone asked if that was an old original one or the new one, I told them and pointed out that you can always tell a real classic because it smells of unburned hydrocarbons. "It that what that stench is?" "Yes," I replied,"and that was normal and acceptable back then." I also mentioned you can still smell today's cars, though much less, but that smaller stink is still far from benign.

It really is shocking what people will accept when they believe it's the only game in town. What's more shocking is that some will defend it when improvements become available.

Ignorance is not a crime, and lots of people (most) come by their ignorance honestly. What I cannot tolerate is people who choose ignorance, even to the extent of making up or repeating misinformation, as as a shield against the prospect of change.
  18. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Evoke expands global sales of its affordable electric motorcycles

Micah Toll - Sep. 30th 2019 3:03 am ET

[​IMG]

Beijing-based Evoke Motorcycles has just announced that its distributor network has grown even further as it opens three new distributors across Europe.

Today’s announcement from Evoke adds the countries of Austria, Germany, and Malta to its growing list of export countries.

Austria already has Evoke’s current model line available for testing, which is the 2018 Urban series electric motorcycle. The company’s new 2020 model, announced just last month, will be shipping to the country shortly. In the meantime, the 2020 model can be pre-ordered.

German riders can also pre-order the 2020 Urban series model, while Maltese riders will be happy to hear that the 2020 Urban series has already shipped to the island nation and is currently en route.

[​IMG]

According to a statement that Evoke sent to Electrek:

“Adding to our locations in America, Australia, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Norway, and Spain, we are happy to announce that we have expanded to 3 new locations (Austria, Germany, and Malta) having new distributors/resellers join the team we call a family.”

While America leads the list, Evoke is currently only taking pre-orders in the US ahead of receiving DOT certification.

DOT certification requires a different process than the EU equivalent, and Evoke hopes to have it completed to begin delivering its electric motorcycles to the US by this December.

[​IMG]

Evoke’s 2020 Urban electric motorcycle has a top speed of 130 km/h (81 mph). It is powered by a 19 kW (25 hp) rear hub motor with 116 Nm (85 lb-ft) of torque. At those specs, the bike’s acceleration is likely to be peppy, though not at a level that would rival Zero’s similarly sized offerings.

The 2020 Urban series has a 8.4 kWh battery pack that has a useable capacity of 7.6 kWh. It is rated for 200 km (125 mi) of range at city speeds and can be recharged on either 120V AC or 240V AC systems. Using its J1772 connector, it can be filled from 0-80% in less than 90 minutes when equipped with an optional dual charger.

The electric motorcycle is priced at $7,899 in the US.

[​IMG]

The 2020 Urban series is seen as a major improvement over the company’s last 2018 update. Among the improvements include a higher power sine wave controller, upgraded throttle response for smoother acceleration and throttle control, and the old touchscreen controls are being replaced by handlebar buttons. While touchscreen controls may sound nice, they can be difficult to use and don’t allow some options to be changed while riding. Handlebar buttons, on the other hand, allow the rider to make adjustments without removing his or her hands from the bars.

Evoke is also hard at work on other advancements. The company is developing its latest modular battery system that it claims can charge from 0-80% in just 15 minutes. In fact, Evoke says these new fast-charging batteries will be included on its upcoming 120 kW (161 hp) cruiser electric motorcycle, which is still in development.

[​IMG]

Evoke’s upcoming electric cruiser motorcycle, still in development and testing

As many of you know, my first electric motorcycle was an Evoke. They’ve come a long way since their first bike and am glad they’re seeing success and expanding. I welcome the new controls and controller and am interested in taking their updated 2020 Urban for a ride report.
    Ditch and T.S.Zarathustra like this.
  19. Traxx

Oddometer:
    What electric tractor do you have? That is the first I have heard of one, then I haven’t searched for one either. What kind of specs does it have? What implements can you run?

I can get miffed about people who choose ignorance, but its not my or your place to tolerate them. There is a lot of misinformation being spread on both sides of the EV argument and pretty much any argument for that matter. For this reason even at the risk of being dickish, I always request verified sources regardless of side.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like there are a few electric tractors out there. The Ryobi zero turn looks tempting.

There are a couple farm size tractors out there.