Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    EICMA is likely to be the year of the electric motorcycle. We already know Yamaha is going to be announcing a complete lineup of electric motorcycles and scooters. It should be interesting to see if any other major manufacture does the same.

I gotta think Honda has a complete lineup in the works.

Like it or not, electric is the way of the future. I wouldn't mind having one of these Horwins for commuting, and keep the commuting miles off my ICE powered bikes and car.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  2. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I really like the look of the Horwins and the use of a 5-speed transmission. Not sure about ergos and they really need to get some mass production help to lower the price prior to a USA launch.
  3. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    On a gas motorcycle it is not a good idea to run full gas all the time.

Can the current electric bikes run WOT all the time or do they overheat?
  4. maddjack

maddjack UFO Pilot Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ^ Probably just all the bad comments (way too much $$$ principally) on the proposed ecycles they came up with. They should have continued Brammo after they purchased them.

Edit - yes, Alta not Brammo. H-D could have even also bought the Brammo IP from Victory (when they started to collapse) to further their development.
    RedRocket likes this.
  6. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Did you mean Alta? Victory purchased the EmpulseTT from Brammo

And yes, I agree. HD should’ve funded/continued Alta.
  7. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once you realize the many advantages of electric vehicles, you'll like it a lot. I just crossed 800 miles on my electric bicycle. It's getting much more regular use than my gas powered motorcycles. Same with the Model 3. We will inevitably downsize the ICE fleet. Won't happen overnight, but it will happen.
    voltsxamps and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  8. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it depends on the software managing the battery and the power output to the motor(s). The controller on my eBike, for example, allows it to go to peak power (1500 watts). Once speed is underway, it drops pretty fast despite having the "throttle" wide open. If the control software detects the battery is being run down, it will start to limit the juice to the motor and eventually it will cut out entirely so as to preserve the battery.

The earlier batteries apparently had issues with overheating but the one on my ebike barely gets warm with aggressive use.

Some Teslas have performance modes that will actually warm up the batteries for peak power output.

In short, if the vehicle is well designed the motors and batteries on should be able to handle full power output for any real world use.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

The guy who wrote this obviously knows nothing about that Yamaha Trials bike and almost every sentence has inaccuracies. That leads me to question everything else that he has written.
  10. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Okay, that said, which sentences, in your opinion, were accurate? It would help the rest of us to know which you thought were inaccurate and why.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I'll start with that the bike has a traditional clutch lever and a rear brake pedal. Additionally it has a 6 speed gear box. So it has a shifter on the other side.
    Ditch likes this.
  12. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! You’re absolutely correct on the clutch and I was unaware that Yamaha’s electric had a 6 speed tranny. Seems like it wouldn’t need that many gears for the application, but I suppose it was done for cost as to not necessitate a new gear box. I’ve ridden the 6 speed EmpulseTT and felt like I could just leave it in 3rd the entire time, shifting being completely optional.
  13. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Depending on a persons skill level at trials, at a beginner level, they may feel that gears and a clutch are unnecessary. As I progress in trials, a clutch is absolutely necessary and different gears help with power delivery for different obstacles. 6 speeds on an electric is probably overkill, 3 is probably all that is needed.

It should also be mentioned that Yamaha has no plans of producing that bike. Every year, engineers are allowed to devote a certain number of hours to a "fun" project. Something that pushes the envelope of design and engineering. The TYE was their project for that year.

It just occurred to me that you may be the author, sorry for any insult, when someone writes about something that I know about and screws up facts. It adds a lot of skepticism in everything else that I read.
  14. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slight correction, the Yamaha has a clutch, but no tranny per se. The Gas Gas TXE has a water cooled electric motor with a six speed tranny. The Gas Gas was available, not sure of its status after the KTM acquisition.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I thought both the TYE and TXE had transmissions.
  16. motodojo

motodojo Rock Ninja

Oddometer:
    The Gas Gas TXT-E has not shipped, even though they took deposits. Same thing with the Mecatecno which has five speeds and a clutch. https://www.mecatecno.biz/
  17. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    No, not the author, and no offense taken either way. Always open to learn more from those who have first hand experience like yourself.

Shame if they don’t produce it though. Kenichi has done quite well with it

[​IMG]

That’s what I thought as well. There’s more than enough torque on an electric to pop the clutch when a burst of momentum is needed, not to mention, the unnecessary weight and complexity a gearbox adds.
  18. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Yes. I was referring to a gearbox with multi-gear ratios as being overly complicated and unnecessary for most electric motorcycles. There will be a few one off exceptions here and there, but having owned both an electric car and motorcycle, and having ridden electric motorcycles with and without multi gear transmissions, I have found that transmissions on EV’s are unnecessary for 99% of travel needs, add weight, cost, and one more thing to maintain.

There’s a lot of intelligent engineers around the world involved with EM’s/EV’s and I would expect we’d have many more examples with multi-geared transmissions if the benefits outweighed their downsides.

The Porsche Taycan, for example has a two speed transmission, but neither out accelerates nor can travel faster than the Model S that Porsche benchmarked during its development, and weighs more and costs nearly twice as much. I believe that Porsche would have been better off without the transmission, saving weight, space, and cost, but the went against the norm, and so far the benefit of having 2 gears isn’t evident. Tesla originally planned to have two gears as well, but preproduction testing revealed it was more trouble than it was worth as the immense motor torque caused early failure. I’m not saying that gears don’t have their place at all, just that they aren’t practical for most EM’s & EV’s.
    Traxx likes this.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Electric motors don't like to turn at 1 RPM, right? So for a dirtbike or trials bike, being able to creep along at a really slow speed, some gear reduction might be needed. Then maybe a higher gear for higher speeds.
    T.S.Zarathustra likes this.