Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    Legal bs
  2. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reminds me a lot of the Honda Ruckus. In fact, if you put two bugeye headlights on it I'd dare say most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
    hamiamham likes this.
  3. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Doesn't seem like it has enough ground clearance to be considered "Monster Truck of Electric Bicycle"..
  4. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I wonder if those tires are road legal?
  5. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

I don’t see why not, but check out those sturdy front forks!
  6. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I doubt if they are USA DOT legal, but no bicycle tires are. Probably just fine for going 20mph, but don't know who would really want to go that slow and that low on public roads (unless you are talking about exclusively urban).
  7. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. futureborder

futureborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Based on wording I don't think Segway ows Sur Ron. Vanguard is the "biggest shareholder" in GE but they only own 7%. Usually when someone has majority share (over 50%) then they typically just say they own them. Since Segway used the much more specific shareholder statement I would suspect they aren't the parent company.
    Nothing wrong w/ Segway brand labeling Sur Rons. Lots of companies do it.
  10. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki confirms electric motorcycle coming, shows off prototype in video

Micah Toll - Nov. 6th 2019 5:01 am ET

[​IMG]

Ready for an electric Kawasaki Ninja? It could be here sooner than you think. Kawasaki has just announced that it is actively working on an electric motorcycle platform and even showed off a prototype in action.

The announcement comes via a new video released by Kawasaki.

It features an interview with Yoshimoto Matsuda, Kawasaki R&D’s senior manager of the Innovation Department.

In the video, Matsuda discusses the work being done on a Kawasaki electric motorcycle.

The interview is overlaid with shots of a Kawasaki electric motorcycle making fast passes on a track with the high-pitched whine of an electric motorcycle in the background.

[​IMG]

Kawasaki electric motorcycle in the works
    As it turns out, work on a Kawasaki electric motorcycle isn’t a recent development. They’ve apparently been at this for some time now.

As Matsuda explains:

The electric motorcycle you see here features one of the next generation power units that we have been working on since the early 2000s. Our electric motorcycles will be fun to control, exciting, and a reflection of Kawasaki’s passion.

Which would make sense, as we’ve recently spied some Kawasaki patents that reflect the company’s work toward an electric motorcycle. The patents suggest that a future Kawasaki electric motorcycle may feature swappable batteries. We’ve seen that concept take off with huge success in smaller electric scooters, but less so in full-size electric motorcycles.

[​IMG]

Matsuda didn’t confirm specifics about the batteries, but says that Kawasaki has been hard at work developing new technologies and securing patents.

We have been thoroughly studying and patenting features relating to packaging and chassis geometry, to transmissions and thumb brake activated regenerative braking systems.

An lo and behold, there it is: A thumb-activated regenerative braking lever. It’s super weird and I hope it never sees the light of day, but there it is.

[​IMG]

Interestingly, earlier this year Kawasaki joined forces with Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki to create a consortium to develop a single battery standard for electric motorcycles. Matsuda didn’t elaborate on how that consortium might affect Kawasaki’s current work, or if a future electric Kawasaki Ninja could share batteries with other brands.

A sharp eye might catch sight of the CHAdeMO charging connector on the prototype in the video. It’s too soon to say what type of connector an electric Kawasaki Ninja might sport, but the CHAdeMO makes sense in Japan, where that charging standard is popular.

If you’re wondering when a Kawasaki electric motorcycle will be available at a dealer near you, Matsuda has an answer, though not a very clear one.

Elements from this concept model will evolve and appear on next-generation motorcycles we are working on. You can look forward to seeing them in the near future. These motorcycles will definitely make you smile.

[​IMG]
    woodsrider-boyd and Cat0020 like this.
  11. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All that said, I'd love to own/ride either model.
  12. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Super Soco unveils 55 MPH electric scooter set to destroy other scooters
    Micah Toll

- Nov. 7th 2019 2:33 am ET

[​IMG]

At a time when nearly every electric scooter company is pumping out 45 km/h (28 mph) scooters, the Super Soco CPx is going in a different direction. A faster direction. To the tune of 90 km/h (55 mph) fast.

The company just revealed its new Super Soco CPx electric scooter today at EICMA 2019, the Milan Motorcycle Show.

SuperSOCO CPx electric scooter
    The new CPx electric scooter, which stands for “City Power”, is intended for consumer sales.

It features a 4 kW (5.4 hp) rear hub motor, which is the most powerful electric motor that Super Soco has included in an electric scooter to date.

That power level is capable of reaching the advertised 90 km/h (55 mph) speed, especially with the help of the aero-enhancing windshield on the super Soco CPx, but the acceleration isn’t likely to be blistering at higher speeds.

For city riding though, 4 kW will be plenty of sporty power for a scooter of this size.

[​IMG]

The CPx can support either one or two 2.7 kWh batteries in the dual battery bays under the seat. With two batteries totaling 5.4 kWh, the Super Soco CPx can reach 140 km (87 mi) of range, though that figure is measured at a constant 45 km/h (28 mph) city speed.

The CPx will retail in Europe for €4,790 (approximately US $5,300) with a single battery or €5,990 (approximately US $6,600) with two batteries.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The scooter is a large upgrade over the company’s previous consumer-level electric scooter, the Super Soco CUx. That scooter was limited in speed to just 45 km/h (28 mph), despite getting Ducati branding treatment.

Super Soco VS1 delivery scooter unveiled
    At the same unveiling, Super Soco also debuted a new delivery electric scooter built on a similar platform.

[​IMG]

While the Super Soco CPx is intended for private sales, the VS1 is designed for commercial use, mainly in parcel and food delivery services.

[​IMG]

The VS1 also has a 4 kW (5.3 hp) rear hub motor but is limited to a slightly slower 80 km/h (50 mph), as compared to the Super Soco CPx.

It does get a better range rating though, promising 160 km (99 mi) of range at 45 km/h (28 mph) thanks its dual 2.7 kWh batteries.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Super Soco VS1 also features a reverse gear option on the handlebars, which can be helpful when navigating the scooter while carrying a heavy load. The VS1 also gets three kickstands – one on either side and a center stand – which should also help handle large loads when parking on uneven terrain.

The VS1 has a number of customizable utility configurations including front and rear racks/baskets and a giant rear cargo box.
    Cat0020 likes this.
  13. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Energica’s electric motorcycles get 60% more battery for 400 km total range

Micah Toll - Nov. 5th 2019 6:30 am ET

[​IMG]

Today marks the start of EICMA 2019, the Milan Motorcycle Show. And one of the first big reveals of the show comes from Energica, the Italian electric racing motorcycle manufacturer. The company’s line of electric motorcycles saw its first major update in years today as Energica has just revealed its new 2020 models with a massive increase in battery capacity and range.

Energica claims that the advances it has made in battery technology are directly related to its racing program.

Energica is the sole provider of the electric motorcycles used in the MotoE racing series.

The company has been using that opportunity to fast track its R&D program.

According the Energica’s CEO Livia Cevolini:

Energica is the only company in the world to have an exclusive testing ground to try new technical solutions — with some of the best riders in the world. This support proved to be unlike anything else for our R&D, both for the racing and the production sides.

Because of this, here at EICMA we can now unveil the very first innovations achieved in this last year of racing that has transferred onto our road models — providing a clear and tangible advantage for Energica in the EV market as well as for all of our riders.

[​IMG]

The new batteries developed by Energica offer 21.5 kWh of energy, which is a 60% increase over the previous 13.4 kWh packs.

Additional advances have helped Energica shave more weight off of its bikes. Despite adding more battery capacity, next year’s Energica models are actually 5% lighter than previous years.

Their range has been bumped as well due to the higher capacity batteries. The new range figures are as follows:

For the Ego+, Eva Ribelle, Eva EsseEsse9+ models:

City: 400 km (249 mi)

Mixed: 230 km (143 mi)

Highway: 180 km (112 mi)

*All range testing carried out in real-world conditions on actual road surfaces

[​IMG]

Energica’s new model updates
    If the Eva Ribelle above sounds foreign to you, it’s not just because of the language barrier (Ribelle means Rebellious in Italian, or so they tell me).

The Eva Ribelle is a new model this year. It’s a street fighter capable of hitting 200 km/h (125 mph), the same top speed as the Eva EsseEsse9+ model.

[​IMG]

The Eva EsseEsse9 and Eva Ribelle both feature 107 kW (145 hp) oil-cooled motors and offer up to 215 Nm (158 lb-ft) of torque. Both bikes will be offered for sale with either the original 13.4 kWh battery or the upgraded 21.5 kWh battery.

Along with the 240 km/h (150 mph) Energica Ego+, all three bikes support Level 3 fast charging. That means riders can charge from 0-80% in 42 minutes, or add 400 km (249 mi) of city range in approximately one hour. The bikes can also be charged on Level 2 chargers that charge at around 67 km per hour (41.5 miles per hour).

All three bikes also come standard with TFT touchscreens, four riding modes, four regenerative braking maps, traction control, cruise control and parking assist. Keyless ignition will be offered as an option.

Electrek’s Take
    This is big. Energica hadn’t given us an update for a while, but when they finally did, they delivered big time.

A 60% bump in range is huge. In fact, that’s getting up to the level where it’s almost becoming excessive. A mixed range of 230 km (143 miles) is incredible for an electric motorcycle. Keep in mind that motorcycles (or rather their riders) are meat sails at high speeds and these things are notoriously non-aerodynamic. But with a battery this big, the new Energica bikes should be more than enough for anyone’s commute and still leave enough in the tank for some serious highway fun.

180 km (112 miles) still isn’t the most amazing highway range, but it’s not at all bad. And with DC fast charging as a standard option, you can charge your tank nearly halfway through the time it takes to grab a coffee and visit the restroom.

If these big leaps came from just one year of Energica racing bikes in MotoE, imagine what the next few years could bring.

:nod 21.5 kWh! Now we’re talkin’ That’s nearly the capacity of what powers a 2015 Nissan Leaf.. in a motorcycle!! This bike has got the range, looks, speed, acceleration, reputation, and fast charging capabilities I’m looking for in an EM. An SS9+ or Ribelle could very well be my next bike purchase.

https://www.energicamotor.com/
    wheresbaoskee and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  14. Crash217

Crash217 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Great upgrade for them. With bumps like that I’d call them the E-bike leaders in overall package and price
    voltsxamps likes this.
  16. Crash217

Oddometer:
    Eicma Zero bike
    IMG_7834.jpg
    _mtg_ and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  17. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    mtbtweety likes this.
  18. Crash217

Oddometer:
    I don’t know anything else about it, just saw a picture from the EICMA show. I’m sure there is someone out there on the Internet that spoke to them about it though.
    Baja Ho likes this.
  19. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    :gyro 120hp/375lb Lightfighter electric track bike built by Zero employee

20. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
    Love the approach to that bike, happened on that video a couple days back and figured it'd find it's way here.

Speaking of Zero, here's an Italian beauty powered by Zero bits:

https://vinsmotors.com/en/ev-01/

[​IMG]

That image from their site has the feel of a render, but I originally saw this come across the Instgram which I think was a pic from EICMA.
    elmontanero likes this.