1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I spoke for some time with someone who works at the corporate level with Alta Motors, here in the Bay Area. The whole project sounds very promising. He explained quite a bit, including the reason why they did not go with hub motors. Apparently they present some pretty severe overheat problems in higher power ranges, at least with the technology they have now. Alta uses a water cooled system, and the housing of the motor is the core of the bike.

Still, this guy bought my 85 Honda Elite 150. Old school technology still works for basic transportation, I guess.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  2. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    In EV news:

In September, 2016, 28.8 percent of new car sales in Norway were EVs (not including hybrids), and electric vehicles have an overall 19 percent market share. Both figures far exceed those of any other country. EV sales are continuing at such a high rate the total number is expected to exceed 100,000 vehicles by the end of 2016. The incentive program as originally set should therefore be over. But that’s not going to happen.

Norway is focused on reducing vehicle emissions for cleaner, healthier air. The country’s faster-than-expected EV adoption rate gives it a reasonable chance of meeting its emissions goals, especially if it can reach 100 percent all-electric new car sales by 2025. In support of that ambitious plan, the VAT exemption will remain in place until 2020.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/norway-ev-incentives-extended/#ixzz4Q0ifOvFy

I agree that tax exemptions are paramount in the sales growth of EV's and should remain in place until cost to performance are on par with ICE. Here in the US, I'm looking forward to applying mfr, state and federal incentives towards a Zero within the next 12 months to make the initial cost of ownership more reasonable. These incentives are the reason my wife & I put down $1000 towards a Tesla III ($7500 federal + $2500 state, effectively bringing the total price to $$25,000). In addition, Teslas ordered before Dec. 31 2016 qualify for free supercharger access.

With a supercharging station only 6 miles from my house, not only can I recharge my wife's car at no additional cost, with an inverter, I can recharge my motorcycle for free too!
    sinned likes this.
  3. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Electric Motorcycle Fits An Entire Car Battery In Its Frame

[​IMG]

The bike can be recharged using a household outlet and customized via the rider's computer

JENNIFER PASSAS
    15 NOVEMBER 2016

Matt Candler, a builder from New Orleans, started building electric bikes back in 2006 as a way to relieve stress. Fast forward 10 years and Candler now has his own company called nightshiftbikes that sells an electric motorcycle in two models: the “Rebel and the “Leafy Savage.”

Built using traditional combustion bikes as their base, night shift bikes are constructed from the ground up. The Rebel, which is the company’s flagship design, is modeled after a 1987 Honda Rebel 250 and powered by a golf cart drivetrain. The Leafy Savage on the other hand is more advanced with a battery pack taken from a Nissan Leaf, a frame from a 2003 Suzuki Savage and an Enertrac motor that provides a power output of 40 hp.

Without needing a transmission, the motor is located in the rear of the night shift bike. The bike’s battery is recharged through regenerative braking as the rider lets off the throttle which switches the motor’s polarity. Similar to the Suzuki Savage, the motor sits alongside the battery pack of cells. Each of the cells contains four flat-pack lithium manganese oxide batteries with a combined power of 116 volts.

[​IMG]

The electricity flows between the battery and motor underneath the seat of the bike. A silver Kelly controller adjusts the duration and spacing of pulses being sent to the motor. The harder the twist on the throttle, the longer and more drawn out the pulses, ensuring the system doesn’t overwhelm the rider and creates a smooth power delivery.

To top things off, riders can connect a laptop to the controller through a blue data port located above the license plate, enabling them to adjust the power curve for better acceleration or more range.

An Eltek charger is used instead of a gas tank, only requiring three hours to recharge and providing up to 3000 watts at 220 volts—enough to power any household outlet via an extension chord through a port located behind the seat.

http://www.psfk.com/2016/11/electric-motorcycle-fits-entire-car-battery-in-its-frame.html

[​IMG]
    http://www.nightshiftbikes.com
    Cat0020 likes this.
  4. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    For Racing Glory, Students Built a Mountain-Busting Electric Motorcycle
    Ohio State engineers optimized their bike for one thing: to climb Pikes Peak faster than any other bike, electric or gasoline powered
    By PHILIP E. ROSS
    Posted 27 Oct 2016

[​IMG]

Months of painstaking labor have gone into their all-electric cycle, the Buckeye Current RW-3, to handle one race and one race only: the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, a motorsports race up Colorado’s iconic mountain.

[​IMG]
    The course has many treacherous twists and hairpin turns [in purple] and had unpaved sections until 2012. Nevertheless, there have been only five fatalities since the race began in 1916. For the first time ever, an electric car won the race last year, when another electric vehicle took second place as well.

From zero to fabulous in 3 seconds, promises the dual-motor Ludicrous Speed mode in the Tesla Model S P90D. And, like the Buckeye Current, the Tesla does it all without a gearbox.

[​IMG]
    The Buckeye Current RW-3 gets its oomph from an Enstroj Emrax motor, which is rated at 100 kilowatts (134 horsepower). The motor is powered by 938 A123 lithium-ion cells, each about the size of a D battery. They weigh 80 kilograms and can store 7.7 kilowatt-hours—a quarter the capacity of a Nissan Leaf.

The RW-3, uses a Honda sport model but minus the gearbox, engine, and fuel tank. In their place are the green mass of thumb-size batteries that cluster under the seat, all the way to the bottom. They weigh 80 kilograms (176 pounds), hold 7.7 kilowatt-hours—a quarter the capacity of the Nissan Leaf and about a tenth that of the Tesla Model S—and feed current through the Tritium inverter to an Enstroj Emrax motor, a 40-kilogram whirlwind rated at 100 kilowatts (134 horsepower).

http://spectrum.ieee.org/transporta...s-built-a-mountainbusting-electric-motorcycle
  5. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    U.S. Says EVs Must Make Noise to Warn Pedestrians
    By Philip E. Ross
    Posted 17 Nov 2016

Electric vehicles must make noise to warn pedestrians of their coming by 2019, U.S. road safety regulators said this week. And the measure is grist for our mill here at “Cars That Think” because Tesla Motors appears to be developing a robotic solution to the problem.

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration announced on Monday that noisemakers would be needed in pure electric and hybrid vehicles operating at speeds under 30 kilometers per hour (19 mph). At higher speeds they evidently make their own noise, thanks to resistance from wind and road."

--------------

I use my motionsensing diskbrake lock to alert pedestrians and others around me while I'm in motion. In addition, I've mounted a bluetooth speaker below my handlebar brace to play music as an alternate method of creating awareness. I've had several pedestians walk in front of me unaware of my approach, and I've unintentionally scared 3 people when parking or leaving the parking lot who weren't expecting a motorcycle to be passing by. I welcome the new NHTSA requirement as it should provide additional safety for everyone rolling in silence.
  6. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    ^ update: the proposed requirement for EV's to make noise is based on a certain weight and scooters/motorcycles appear to be exempt. At least for now. I still use a motion based warning siren that's audible for pedestrians. While I don't want to hit or scare them, I also don't want them walking right in front of me causing me to stop suddenly.

In other news, Thrustcycle is scheduled to produce a self balancing electric motorcycle in 2017, aiming to be the first to market, beating LIT Motors to the punch.

[​IMG]
    HONOLULU, Nov. 29, 2016 -- Thrustcycle Enterprises LLC is excited to announce the debut of a new prototype of the GyroCycle, a revolutionary self-balancing electric motorcycle. With its first model scheduled for production in 2017, Thrustcycle aims to be the first company to bring a self-stabilizing gyroscopic motorcycle to market.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/...-new-prototype-self-balancing-motorcycle.html
  7. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    A great story about Mike Corbin on Quicksilver, the motorcycle that held the electric land speed title for 38 years..

[​IMG]

full story> http://newatlas.com/mike-corbin-quicksilver-land-speed-electric-motorcycle/46696/
  8. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    The Washington Post suggest that the Fixing America's Surface Transportation Act (FAST Act) signed by President Barack Obama last December 4, and many others, are not likely to be renewed this month.

:browFor present and future electric-car owners considering the purchase of a home charging station, it may be wise to act before the end of this calendar year.

• The federal income-tax credit in effect through the balance of 2016 covers up to $1,000 for home refueling equipment and installation at a taxpayer's private residence.
    • That includes the purchase of an electric-car charging station, plus any wiring or installation that's necessary, during the year ending December 31.
    • There's also a tax credit for businesses of up to 30 percent of the cost of installing alternative-vehicle refueling infrastructure, capped at a maximum of $30,000.
    [​IMG]
    • Tax credit of up to 10 percent of the cost of purchasing an electric motorcycle also expires on December 31.
    Current Federal income-tax credits of $2,500 to $7,500 for purchase of a plug-in electric vehicle with a battery pack of 4 to 16 kilowatt-hours (or more) will remain unchanged.
  9. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
  11. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:

I wonder if the motorcycle frame/suspension/wheels are overkill... maybe too much unnecessary weight to be hauling around..
    or rather a electric bicycle format would require no license/registration/insurance/cost to operate and less weight, too.
  12. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    While it may be "overkill" to use motorcycle frames and wheels , it should keep manufacturing (and purchasing) costs to a minimum. I certainly wouldn't want to be riding a powered bicycle with puny brakes, tires, etc., at anything close to the speeds required to run on the street, without being a hazard, around here. Having bicycles on the roads are hazardous enough!
  13. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I guess I'm one of those "road hazards" who occasionally rides my e-bike on the street. :-) While I think my e-bike is a lot of fun (in the right environment), it sure isn't an electric motorcycle. Oh, it has a throttle that you can use independent of pedaling, up to about 20 mph... but if you try to mix it up with traffic around here (where they drive like a Mexican taxi), you will likely become road kill. I pick the streets I ride on carefully, staying to neighborhood streets as much as possible... but absolutely prefer to take this bike on a bike path. It is great to get some exercise in the gated community where we live, with 15 mph speed limits.

I rode the bike on occasion on San Juan Island, with 45 mph speed limits and narrow bike lanes at the side of the road. Not much fun. In spite of all the "Share the Road" signs, bicycles (e or pure pedal) are not a good mix with motorized traffic from my perspective. To my knowledge, none of the e-bikes could be considered electric motorcycles.
  14. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think CNG (compressed natural gas) is the answer for the internal combustion engine. It burns several times cleaner than E10, and can even double the life of the engine because it does not leave deposits in the combustion chamber, and does not contaminate the oil. Many local government vehicles, buses, trash trucks, etc have been set up to run on it. It shows almost nothing on an emissions analyzer. There are a lot of CNG refueling stations for larger vehicles, but considering how heavy the tank has to be, I don't know if it would work on a scooter or not. I still can't imagine it being heavier than 100 pounds of lead acid batteries. And we supposedly have plenty of it. I'm surprised auto manufacturers aren't making vehicles designed to run on it instead of electric and hybrids. CNG seems to be a clean workable and sustainable solution, solves most of the problems of electric and gasoline vehicles, and uses existing technology.
  15. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Alternative EV sounds :rofl

16. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jetsons for the win!
    voltsxamps likes this.
  17. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems a little ridiculous, but if you are going to do it, why not make it sound like a Harley?
  18. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    So, with Polaris announcing that it's closing the doors on Victory, what does that mean for the electric Empulse, which Polaris acquired early 2015 and carried the Victory nameplate? The article below sheds some light on the Empulse's future:

"Victory ran a “Thunder vs Lightning” promotion to garner excitement about its gas bike racing against its electric bike up the mountain.

It was a tight race, but the lightning (i.e. the electric motorcycle) won that contest.

[​IMG]
    2016 Victory Empulse TT

Despite Victory going belly-up, electric motorcycle options in the U.S. have expanded during the past year. Zero Motorcycles continues to offer a solid lineup, and both Alta Motors and Energica Motorcycles are now making deliveries

However, Victory's death may not necessarily mean the end of the road for the Empulse electric motorcycle.

Steve Menneto, the Polaris VP of Motorcycles, told Motorcycle.com in an interview, “We’re going to continue the electric part of the business."

“Future products and markets will develop, both on-road and off-road," he said. "What will change are those efforts will transfer over time to Indian in the two-wheel space and Slingshot in the three-wheel space.”

Pressed to say that we will see an Indian powered by an electric motor, he responded, “I think that’s a fair assessment.”

It doesn't sound like we'll see an electric Indian motorcycle this year, but there may be one in the near future.

With Harley Davidson committed to a 2020 deadline to come up with its own electric motorcycle, perhaps Indian will produce one first."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/end-victory-motorcycles-end-empulse-electric-bike-too-140000374.html
  19. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
    Last time I was at Southern California Motorcycles in Brea (couple months ago at least, before Victory let go), I saw they still had an Empulse on the floor - marked down to $10k.

Don't know if I would still bite at that price, Zero makes some nice electrics...
    voltsxamps likes this.
  20. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Elektrotsikly Tacita T-Race 2018-2019: Rally, Enduro, Motard, Cross and Diabolika

[​IMG]

Tacita Turin company announced a range of electric motorcycles Tacita T-Race, consisting of models Rally, Endure, Motard, Cross and Diabolika.

The manufacturer decided to create different models to differentiate offers for customers with different goals.

[​IMG]

Specifications Tacita T-Race Rally 2018-2019:

– Engine: electric three-phase asynchronous

– Settings: Eco, Sport

– Cooling system: Liquid for the controller and the motor

– Transmission: 5-speed hydraulic clutch

– Battery: Li-Po, the capacity of 10.6 kWh

– Number of cycles: 4000, or 80% of capacity

– Maximum power: 22 kW

– Maximum speed: 8,000

– Maximum torque of 75 Nm

– Wheelbase: 1490 mm

– Frame: chrome

– Ground clearance: 330 mm

– Front Suspension: 45mm Marzocchi telescopic fork

– Rear suspension: linkage with Ohlins adjustable dampers

– Suspension travel: 300 mm

– Front wheel: 1.60 X 21 “with tires 90 / 90-21

– Rear wheel: 2.15X18 “with tires 140 / 80-18

– Brakes: front 300 mm floating disc, 220 mm rear disc

– Regenerative braking

without braking (work-style 2-stroke engine), or braking (similar to 4-stroke engine), plus the regenerative braking – the engine brake mode 2

– Lighting: LED

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

– Kit: Kevlar or carbon fiber, biorezina

– Power reserve: 120 km (to activate power saving)

– Power save mode (RP): automatically turns on when there is 20 percent of the charge reduces the power to the minimum level

– Charging time of the level of RP: 1) 1 hour 50 minutes – with 6-kW charger;
    2) 3 hours and 40 minutes – with 3-kW charger;
    3) 10 hours 30 minutes – with a 1-kW charger;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://motonew2017.com/elektrotsikl...2019-rally-enduro-motard-cross-and-diabolika/