Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. snowjob

snowjob Thinking about bikes....

Oddometer:
    Musk was quoted saying they will build an ATV but not any road going motorcycle because they are dangerous and he was nearly killed on one. Unless that changes or he builds an offroad motorcycle, then nearly all Tesla news is irrelevant here. IMO. Merry frickin Christmas.
  2. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Okay.. how bout a Tesla vs an electric motorcycle :type

M3/P vs SR/F

3. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Look ma, no cord!

BMW’s electric motorcycle wireless charging plan includes the only non-rubber component of the bike to touch the ground: the side stand.

[​IMG]

BMW has incorporated a wireless charging receiver into the pad at the base of the electric motorcycle’s side stand. When the rider parks his or her electric motorcycle, the side stand’s pad would land on the wireless charger (which houses an AC coil). Wireless charging power is correlated to the distance between the charger and receiver, and thus works best when the two are in nearly direct contact. BMW’s wireless electric motorcycle system seems to do just that.

https://electrek.co/2019/12/28/bmws-wireless-charging-for-electric-motorcycles-patent/

Clever or a solution looking for a problem?
  4. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    derblauereiter and voltsxamps like this.
  5. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Basically, would be great for overnight charging when you've parked it in the garage for the day.
    derblauereiter likes this.
  6. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "cord" singular. There are actually two cords: one is labeled #1 and the other #34. I bet if you eliminated everything in between and connected them together it would be many times more efficient.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  8. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks hella slick.
  9. motodojo

motodojo Rock Ninja

Oddometer:
  10. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm no EE, but it appears this is a simple transformer with coils in the floor pad and sidestand foot. And not a great transformer, because the coils are not wound on a common core. Any time you power something through a transformer, it needs a V x A rating comfortably above the total power of the device it's powering. The bigger the VA rating, the bigger the transformer.

That setup doesn't look like it would pass enough power to do anything really useful, probably way less than the standard 1.3 kW brick that comes with most electric cars.

I'm guessing 500 W or under. Any EEs with a clearer understanding of this stuff care to make a guess? Seems to me this is only useful if you ride occasionally and then plan to park it and leave it for days. This is not for a ready-a-any-time EM.

----------------

Ctromley's Terminology Corner

The Electrek article mentions "trickle charging". Let's not use that phrase any more. Trickle charging implies a charge at a set voltage and very low amps, used to maintain an existing charge. It's correctly called float charging. (It would take many, many days to charge your EV from a trickle charger.) Float charging is a bad idea - it limits the life of a battery, to a lesser or greater extent depending on the chemistry. Lead-acid is sometimes float charged, where convenience overrides the life cost. Telecom backup is float charged because you need full charge at any moment. Telecom batteries are swapped out periodically because of the damage float charging does.

No one floats lithium. It's not necessary, because lithium is very good at charge retention. So not only is it a really bad idea in terms of dollar value of life lost, I believe it's also a safety risk.

So if you want to use the term "trickle charging" incorrectly to mean any charge rate that is very low, how low is low? You're not only using a term with a different meaning than what you mean, you're also being extremely vague about what you mean.

If you know what you're talking about when discussing ICEs, you use your terms correctly. Because you know. You're not a noob. (You wouldn't call a fuel injector nozzle a "jet", would you?) Generally speaking, use of the term "trickle charging" regarding modern EVs identifies you as a noob.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  11. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand that frequency plays a role, but those wall warts are handling tiny bits of power. In controllers and chargers where Big Amps are involved, the components get pricier and the circuits get weirder (even in the sense of mechanical layout, because amps blow up the effects of trace capacitance and inductance - by several orders of magnitude). Does increasing frequency not present similar problems?

More to the point, does the added complication of frequency changes result in a reasonable cost for a useful charge rate? What charge rate does this support?

Or is this a "feature" that adds needless complication, expense and risk of failure, just for the purpose of doing something in a different way, to have a "feature" to profit from? Is sticking a J1772 plug in your bike really that inconvenient?

Example: My wife's RAV4 has a motorized rear hatch. Never in my decades of driving have I ever needed or wanted a motorized hatch. I feel like an idiot pushing a button and waiting for the hatch to open or close. (Ask me about the time the fob got pressed in my pocket, opened the hatch and jammed it against the closed garage door, and what it took to unwind that unforced error. Hint: It included a tear-down and rebuild of the garage door opener.) And I know at some point something in that mechanism will break - and demand a very high price for repair.

We need to ask ourselves - is this "feature" something genuinely useful, or just another way to separate people from their money? The motorized hatch on our RAV4 is just plain stupid. (We only have it because a must-have option was only available bundled with it.) It remains to be seen if wireless charging for EVs is.

What's the charge rate? What's the added cost?
  12. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    There will be a measurable increase in transmission loss by using inductive charging instead of a physical connection. Probaby only a couple bucks a month for most vehicles, but if we are really worried about minimizing energy waste, it's a consideration.
  13. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    100mph NIU RQi-GT electric motorcycle unveiled

Micah Toll - Jan. 7th 2020 1:00 pm ET

[​IMG]

The biggest unveil at NIU’s CES 2020 booth is undoubtedly the company’s new NIU RQi-GT electric motorcycle, which is designed for urban commuting.

The bike features impressive specs including a top speed of 100 mph (161 km/h) and a range of up to 80 miles (129 km), though that range is measured at just city speeds averaging 30 mph (48 km/h).

Powering the NIU RQi-GT electric motorcycle is a mid-mounted 30 kW (40 hp) peak output electric motor custom designed and built by NIU.
    The motor uses a belt-driven first stage reduction, then chain drives the rear wheel.

[​IMG]

Energy is supplied by two removable batteries with a combined capacity of 7 kWh.
    Rider aids include an adaptive front headlight that can lead in turns, anti-lock brakes and traction control.

NIU refers to the RQi-GT as a Smart electric motorcycle due to the large amount of tech built into the bike. Such tech includes 5G IoT connectivity, IoT connected battery packs with Panasonic battery cells, Full TFT dashboard display, and Bluetooth and GPS connectivity, the latter of which provides anti-theft and vehicle tracking functionality to help track down a stolen vehicle.

While we don’t know the price of the NIU bike yet, it has a lot of room to undercut the FXS. Heck, even the Evoke Urban electric motorcycle (another Chinese electric bike with comparable specs), is priced below $8,000, and they don’t even have the huge production volume advantage that NIU has.

All of this is to say that NIU could finally deliver an electric motorcycle that offers the speed and power needed for highway riding while keeping the price affordable.

https://electrek.co/2020/01/07/niu-rqi-gt-electric-motorcycle-unveiled-affordability/
    wheelbender6 and magnussonh like this.
  14. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    100mph not fast enough for ya? How about 200mph?

Damon Hypersport electric motorcycle gets 200 MPH top speed and 200 hwy mile range

Micah Toll - Jan. 8th 2020 2:27 am ET

[​IMG]

Vancouver-based Damon Motorcycles has just released the long awaited specs on its high tech, shapeshifting Damon Hypersport electric motorcycle.

And those specs were worth the wait.

The Canadian-grown Damon Hypersport is seeing a lot of the number 200.

The Hypersport gets a power rating of 200 hp (150 kW).

It gets a top speed rating of 200 mph (322 km/h).

And it gets a highway range of 200 miles (322 km). Yes, highway range.

Keep it in the city and Damon says riders can achieve 300 miles (483 km) of range.

[​IMG]

Those are some of the best range figures in the electric motorcycle industry right now, and they’re thanks to the Damon Hypersport’s large 20 kWh, liquid-cooled battery pack.

Damon Motorcycles is planning to release its standard edition Damon Hypersport for $24,995. But that will have to wait, as it will be following an initial limited-edition run of 25 premium Hypersports priced at $40,000 with deliveries planned for 2021.
    semper-guzzi likes this.
  15. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love to see what the range is at a steady 70mph
  16. Frank06

Frank06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They say: "Straight 70mph highway range is ~161 miles" https://damonmotorcycles.com/

I'll volunteer to do some testing for them. It's a very interesting looking machine. :)
  17. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    65 probably equals 200.

“State of the art battery packs from Panasonic”.
    It’s starting.
  18. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like very much to learn more about this Panasonic battery. Lunacycle makes e-bike battery packs in various forms, the most bare-bones being a bunch of 18650 cells bound together with a single BMS board, and the whole shebang is shrink-wrapped. Can't get much simpler and lighter than that. They use the highest performance cells commercially available and typically wind up with packs that have around 100 Wh of juice per pound. The 3.5 kWh Niu packs at 22 lbs. each are a BIG improvement on that. Like a 60% improvement.

Panasonic also works with Tesla to make what is claimed to be the most energy dense cells in the industry, the 2170 cells used in the Model 3. To my knowledge, those cells are built at the Tesla gigafactory and used only in Teslas. One has to wonder if Panasonic is now selling them elsewhere. That would be a Very Big Deal.

Would you like your EV to have 60% more range?
  19. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    THIS would be the game changer! Just make sure it is a licenseable/franchise option so many places can offer it.
  20. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer: