1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. tallpaul63

tallpaul63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t know. Maybe we ought to start with defining what range touring riders require. For me, a four hundred mile day is long, five hundred is very long. Three to four hundred seems reasonable. I rarely sit on the bike for longer than three hours in a stretch. So if charging took twenty minutes, and the bike had a highway range of 200+ miles, and there were lots of charging stations, then I think touring becomes feasible. That doesn’t seem so very far off. Five years?
    derblauereiter likes this.
  2. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    Personally, I would want a minimum of 250 miles, running at 80mph, loaded and two-up. That benchmark would mean two recharge stops in what has traditionally been my 600 mile trip back home, without sweating making through any of the three legs.

One point about recharge times: The longer they take, the less willing I would be to stop any more often than necessary. Of course, a top-off might take significantly less time, but there’s additional time taken for every stop, no matter what.

I wonder if the most efficient use of time is to minimize stops as much as possible, or to stop more often for shorter charges?
    MUDHWY likes this.
  3. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    At my age and poor health going long distances is not desired.

Going an hour and stopping an hour is now a good thing.

I have no desire to go 80 mph. 40 mph would be better.

And I am not terribly old (60). Any decent Zero would be fine.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  4. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Long distances are the norm here in the west so range is pretty key for us.

And... 80mph is just keeping up with traffic nowadays, gramps. :lol3
    outbacktm and WDG like this.
  5. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    So 40,000 people a year die on USA roads. So how is that 80 mph working out for you?
  6. ThrottleStop

ThrottleStop Dear Younger Me,

Oddometer:
    Get yer facts straight.

According to NHTSA speeding is a factor in approx 26% of all traffic fatalities, killing less than 10,000 annually. The total number of fatal motor-vehicle crashes attributable to speeding in 2019 for instance was 8,447.

Been in any major city lately? Going slow is more likely to get you hit than keeping up. The flow of normal traffic is close to 80mph on the highways and if you are on/in a vehicle going 40mph, as you suggest, you are going to be roadkill pretty fast.
    outbacktm, MUDHWY and WDG like this.
  7. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like how you told him to get his facts straight then immediately followed it with your own conjecture about slow drivers and accidents.
  8. Frank06

Frank06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the strategy of quick charging to 80% or whatever is very doable. Look at how easy it is to do cross-country trips for Tesla's. Terry Hershner used this approach on his modified Zero in 2013.
    WDG likes this.
  9. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Where exactly does one do this charging in NA, at present, while travelling LD?
  10. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Lots of charging stations around where I live, Southern British Columbia.

I think we really have to define LD. The current electric motorcycles will demand a more relaxed lifestyle.

Doing a thousand miles in one day is something that I define as stupidity. Slow down and enjoy life more.
  11. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    https://www.plugshare.com/

You're welcome.
    Ditch and Yinzer Moto like this.
  12. magnussonh

magnussonh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me a long day is a day over 300 miles. That is nearly a full day in the saddle for me. Just covering miles without taking in the sights and enjoying my meals is not worth it to me. If I only do 300 miles I'm in top condition to repeat that distance the next day.
    MJSfoto1956 and tallpaul63 like this.
  13. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Ordered mine back in SEP 2019.
    $1399 shipped to me.
    Awaiting for delivery.
    woodsrider-boyd and RedRocket like this.
  14. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Funny...I don't feel very welcome if I am traveling through MT for instance. Which is very likely to happen from where I live in ID MT.jpg .
  15. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    My definition of LD isn't large single day totals but rather week or two long trips that can take me just about anywhere (including off-road of course...this is ADVrider after all.) I don't recall seeing ANY charging stations near where I live and know they don't exist off the beaten path (paved) roads.
    outbacktm likes this.
  16. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] CAKE Kalk INK unveiled

Enter the CAKE Kalk INK. CAKE has managed to drop the price of the INK down to just $9,500 while maintaining the same drivetrain and powertrain as the higher-priced CAKE Kalk OR.

How’d they do it?

By swapping out some suspension and body components that turn the Kalk INK into more of a free-riding trail bike than the go-anywhere and do-anything Kalk OR.

[​IMG]

As CAKE explained in a statement:

Kalk INK is based on the technology developed for the performance-oriented Kalk OR, featuring the same powerful drivetrain, battery, and robust 6061 aluminum frame/swingarm. Just like Kalk OR, Kalk INK is also strongly influenced by downhill and enduro mountain bikes, in both its ride feel as well as its handling characteristics. While the Kalk OR is designed as a feather-light, precision-oriented motorbike delivering uncompromised off-road performance, the Kalk INK is purpose-built for silent and uncomplicated free-riding through the backcountry and beyond.

Kalk INK differentiates itself from Kalk OR and Kalk& by utilizing a non-linkage rear suspension for simplicity and lightweight motocross front suspension for robustness, a sturdy 19-inch wheelset for added durability and less maintenance, and fenders and bodywork that are made from black, injection-molded polycarbonate and ABS. Top speed is 50+ mph (80+ km/h) with a ride time of up to three hours.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The CAKE Kalk INK will be available worldwide beginning June 1. Riders can already pre-order the bike immediately with a $200 or €200 deposit.

CAKE has been on a roll in the past year, from upgrading their bikes with a Gates Carbon Drive belt-driving system to unveiling the new CAKE Ösa electric utility bike.

source: https://electrek.co/2020/03/04/cake-unveils-lower-priced-50-mph-electric-motorcycle-the-kalk-ink/
    outbacktm and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  17. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Frankly, I don't care what you do. I just provided the resource so you could decide for yourself. Yes, that part of the region is a bit of a hole, that hole is being filled quickly and in a few years you can go where you want. I seem to recall a lack of gas stations in that region as well when I traveled through it back in 2017 doing a tour of it.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  18. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Again, don't recall seeing any, and doubt there are many, gas stations off that path also. Hope you have enough gas cans. Oh, wait, there is that planning thing. Weird....
  19. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Very smart move by the Cake bakery. The more affordable, the more sales, very simple equation.
    outbacktm likes this.
  20. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Extra gas cans cost a lot less than extra batteries.
    MUDHWY likes this.