Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is an interesting topic, worthy of its own thread.
  2. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have a problem with the headlight design, so long as it is bright and throws a good beam. As for the fenders? Yeah, lack of fenders is stupid. That said, shouldn't be too hard to add.

Now, the wheel covers, that's even more stupid. They have real potential to make it handle like crap in gusting crosswinds, or even in the turbulence behind a large truck.

Still, I give them credit for trying. The more choices the better, IMHO.
  3. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    No argument from the experts...dust from car brakes and tires will still pollute city air even if everyone on the planet goes all-electric.

Fragments of microplastics from tires, road surfaces and brakes already flow into rivers, and ultimately into the sea. We will likely need to pass standards to improve tires and brakes and some are already saying we need to go even further than that by developing policies to just flat-out get people out of their private cars.

Particles from brake wear, tire wear and road surface wear directly contribute to well over half of particle pollution from road transport. So, while emissions of particles from exhausts may be decreasing with EV use, the non-exhaust proportion of road traffic emissions has increased. With the increasing growth in sales of heavier battery-powered electric cars, non-exhaust emissions (NEE) are a very serious problem. This percentage of pollutants stands to only get proportionally higher as EV's increase and vehicle exhausts are cleaned up more.
  4. magnussonh

magnussonh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cherry picking, deny and divert tactics. If you only look at this type of pollution it looks bad for EV. But it's only part of the environmental TCO of vehicles.
  5. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am concerned more about what I just dumped in my toilet. Anything that smells that bad can't be good.
  6. ThrottleStop

ThrottleStop Dear Younger Me,

Oddometer:
    Deny and divert what? This has been widely reported, going back as long ago as 2017. There is no need to blindly defend EV's if this is an emerging awareness. Better tire and brake materials can and should be developed while at the same time EV's curb weights needs to be reduced in the long-term.

https://www.emissionsanalytics.com/news/pollution-tyre-wear-worse-exhaust-emissions

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/03/20200308-emissionsanalytics.html

https://airqualitynews.com/2020/03/...es-1000-worse-than-from-exhaust-claims-study/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32546...ore-pollution-than-exhaust-fumes-study-claims

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48944561

The list goes on and on...educate yourself.
  7. TheCaptNemo

TheCaptNemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I look forward to seeing more stories like this: https://ampersand.solar/
    We build affordable electric vehicles and charging systems for the three million motorcycle taxi drivers in East Africa, starting with Rwanda
  8. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. magnussonh

magnussonh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't you read the first part? "Cherry picking" That means take part of the problem out and focus on it to draw attention away from the whole of the issue. Like not seeing the forest for the trees. This is also a known "Deny and divert" tactic.
  10. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this the place to discuss news that hasn't happened yet? Weren't we supposed to hear something about the Sur-Ron Storm Bee by now? It's arguably the most exciting new EM due to be released this year at 30 peak hp and ~270 lbs, with a street-legal version promised, delivered by a company with a stellar track record with the Light Bee. Makes me start itchin' for an e-SM.

But there hasn't been a whisper about it for months. Have I been missing news flashes?
    Rider68 likes this.
  11. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. snowjob

snowjob Thinking about bikes....

Oddometer:
    I agree completely. I have been slowly selling off my ICE bikes in anticipation of the new Sur Ron. Once it comes out and I see price/perf I expect it will help me decide between their two options. There is a neighborhood creek bed just calling for me to ride it with an ebike.
    Baldy likes this.
  13. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I love the Sur Rons.

This afternoon I interview the CEO of Zero on a livestream. Any questions you'd have me ask of him?
  14. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    when will zero's be cheaper?
  15. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any update to FX/FXS line next year?
    L2 or L3 charging too?
    Adding more dealers in the future?
    Any potential battery breakthroughs coming up?
    Why the hell do your chargers die all the time?
    Speaking of, plan on using wider belts that don't snap?
    Speaking of, can you implement a variant on traction control when you DO go over bumps so they don't snap on spinup (or spin stop, actually)
    What ARE the parameters for your ECO and Sport modes compared to Custom?

Gee, I've got so many questions that I've always want to ask them, I could go on forever.

Probably not any time soon. They're not even profitable, I think. I'm surprised they don't charge more, but it's already on the edge of what motorcycle buyers will pay.
    Baldy and smdub like this.
  16. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Technically, they're "fast charging" add-on is Level 2. Level 3 is what I want to know about. Without Level 3 I just can't consider it, maybe a used one, but not very seriously.
    Baldy likes this.
  17. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Just one question: why is the livestream time listed as Standard Time?

:hide
    Chillis likes this.
  18. OldFakir

OldFakir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you ask him if they have considered a 2 x 2 design, like the Ubco and Silenthawk, and why they havnt gone in that direction.

Zero quads? SXS?

Tesla Cybertruck will have a quad option. Why not a Tesla badged Zero motorcycle?
  19. snowjob

snowjob Thinking about bikes....

Oddometer:
    Any more dirt focused bikes in the pipeline? Something that could compete in a 1 hour hare scramble or just generally handle single track in the woods.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you seen the Zero FX? 250 pounds and a 45 mile range should be good for what you are asking. I would like to check one out in person. I question the quality of the suspension for a true woods bike. A clutch would be a nice addition.