Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. snowjob

snowjob Thinking about bikes....

Oddometer:
    I got the impression that the Zero FX was more dual-sporty, like WR250R, than single track fun, like KDX200. I have not had a chance to see or ride one. Sounds like a field trip is in my future. Looks like the closest dealer to me is just outside Milwaukee (COVID central in WI). May have to wait a bit.
  2. Rider68

Rider68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Zero FXS so not quite the same, but I've seen the FX at the dealer. Mine has the full battery at 293 pounds since it's a street bike to me.

It looks well built but I don't think I would be jumping hills with it. If you have any aspirations of going off road, the optional chain kit is mandatory. Because of the instant torque and no gears (read: engine braking) it has immediate back wheel spinup when going over bumps, and puts a lot of stress on the belt when you actually do land back down. 'Hence the chain recommendation. Even so, it helps to modify your thinking a bit. Letting off the throttle (à la feathering a clutch) when going over bumps will go a long way in preventing issues.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Belts also don’t deal with debris well. A small rock in between a belt and sprocket can cause some serious issues. Sliding off line and having a wheel fall between 2 large rocks, having the belt rub on a rock, would also be tough on it.
  4. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    RoadRunner magazine had a multi-part article on taking a Zero FXS coast-to-coast, imitating a route taken in the early 1900's. Very interesting article with interesting recharging tactics.
  5. Rider68

Rider68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't find it online at their web site, so I'd be interesting in buying the back issues if you know which ones? I read and collect everything I can find on my FX/FXS. Thanks.
  6. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Stuff is kind of hard to find. My bad; John Flores rode a 2016 Zero DSR, not a FXS - still a great read. The series of articles are titled "In the Tire Tracks of a Pioneer"; John Flores started in San Francisco and went to New York via a route originally run by George A. Wyman in 1903; Sept/Oct 2017, Nov/Dec 2017, Jan/Feb 2018, Mar/Apr 2018, May/June 2018 editions of RoadRunner.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  7. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Available at Roadrunner for purchase
  8. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Elon Musk says riding motorcycles on public roads is too dangerous, and will never offer one.
  9. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So he is making quads... OMG
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  10. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Featuring understanding emotions

Oddometer:
    According to a few posts above he is the guy that says riding motorcycles on public roads is too dangerous.

Credibility lost with me.
    MJSfoto1956 and magnussonh like this.
  12. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is his business to get people into cars. He's also a business man, and a programmer, so he very much a numbers guy. He looks at the stats and can see riding a bad idea and a bad investment.
  13. longslowdistance

Oddometer:
    Huh?
  14. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Yep, it is. For him.
  15. longslowdistance

Oddometer:
    So choosing not to ride motorcycles means Elon Musk is not credible when discussing batteries. Sure that makes sense.

Silly me for not recognizing a troll.
    scott123007 and Osprey! like this.
  16. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Featuring understanding emotions

Oddometer:
    Said originally with a slight smirk but basically he's not credible regarding my passion WHICH IS MOTORCYCLES...not batteries. YMMV.

Silly you indeed.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  17. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://chargedevs.com/features/sol...commercialization-and-whats-still-years-away/

This is something of a revision/clarification on news that many of us thought we knew. Toyota, Fisker and others have been making bold claims about solid state batteries showing up in the next year or two. That remains true, but the catch is that there is incremental solid state, and there is also (as the article puts it) "Holy Grail" solid state. The incremental stuff that's coming soon is a solid(ish) electrolyte with a graphite anode. It offers some real benefits in capacity and safety, but it's not the 'knock it out of the park' quantum leap that many of us think of when we hear "solid state" - like the highly automated, extremely dense packaging of integrated circuits.

Holy Grail solid state uses solid electrolyte, but with a lithium metal anode, which has over 10X the theoretical specific capacity of graphite. The challenge is that with a lithium anode you are constantly stripping and re-plating lithium on the anode as you discharge and charge. So you start with a nice uniform layer of lithium deposited on your substrate, but after many cycles it morphs into a "a pile of moss and needles and porosity." The needles are dendrites, which tend to keep growing until they short the anode and cathode together and ruin the cell far too early in its life.

Holy Grail solid state won't be here any time soon. According to an exec at one of the companies most deeply enmeshed in this tech, "no one is really close to a commercial application using a lithium anode and a solid electrolyte battery that meets the demanding requirements of an EV."

Not the news many of us wanted to hear, but better to cut through the market-speak and find out what's really going on. (This is why engineers hate marketing people.) That same company, who assists others companies in the field, is working on three crucial stepping stones that will hopefully get us to that holy grail. We'll get there, but it'll happen when it happens. The only thing that travels at hyper-speed is hype.
    tallpaul63, WDG and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  18. longslowdistance

Oddometer:
    I may be wrong, but what I read is that Tesla is not going the solid state route.
  19. GS-A-Day

GS-A-Day Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Possibly, but keep in mind that any non-tilting 3-wheeler is basically a car in terms of vehicle dynamics. I don't understand why people build 3-wheelers with motorcycle seating and controls, when that just makes the vehicle less functional than seating being lower and enclosed. It sort of makes sense on a sidecar if you see it as temporary and/or convertible arrangement, but many don't.

For a 3-wheeler to work as well as a car you need to pay very close attention to weight distribution and cg height. Most don't.