1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    2018-2019 Armotia Due R / Due X

[​IMG]

2018-2019 Armotia – a new player in the segment of electric motorcycles.

Italian manufacturer introduced two draft 2018-2019 Armotia Due R and 2018-2019 Armotia Due X.

Due R – electric supermoto and Due X – Enduro.

Both are equipped with all-wheel drive, the total capacity of 15 hp

To power batteries are used 5.1 kWh, and the smartphone is in a dashboard.

As for the design, it turned out very attractive, and less from the Italians, we could not wait.

[​IMG]

Features:

– An air-cooled motor

– Brembo brakes

– Bitubo rear shock

– The maximum speed of 80 km / h

– Mass of 125 kg

[​IMG]

No word on pricing or the beginning of supply to the market.

We will wait for more information.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://motonew2017.com/elektrotsikly-2018-2019-armotia-due-r-due-x/
    mramosc likes this.
  2. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
  3. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, Fenris Motorcycles are working on a new electric bike platform on which to deploy at least two production models. The company claims the final model will be able to achieve a top speed of 186 mph (300 km/h) and go from zero to 62 mph (100 km/h) in under three seconds.

The firm’s CEO and co-founder Jesper Vind believes he has one single real competitor on the market, namely Energica.

“The two [main] US manufacturers started their development at a time when the technology was at an early stage,” Jesper explains, “and so we only have one real competitor in Italy’s Energica.”

Some big words thrown out there for a company that has only one prototype working. However, Fenris claim their electric motor weighs around 27 pounds (11.8 kilograms), which translates into about a quarter of the weight of their competitors’.

The final motorcycle should weight 432 pounds (195 kilos), which is about the average weight of a current naked bike. However, it will put out 200 horsepower and almost instant torque to beat anything out there.

On the same note, you can see in the photos attached that the Fenris motorcycles won’t be all that standard. Just look at the suspension that uses front and rear swingarms, with one shock per wheel mounted just below the motor.

Haven't seen such a contraption on other production bikes today, but I guess the main idea here is to try and keep the center of mass as low as possible, given the big battery pack that sits where the engine and fuel tank is usually found on a standard bike.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/n...r-rises-models-can-reach-186-mph-114263.html#
  4. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    It's definitely between the Zero and the Victory, both very nice bikes.

[​IMG]

I'm test riding the Victory Empulse TT tomorrow to see how it compares to the Zero. I've always preferred the styling and love that it's DNA is shared with the Ariel Atom.

For extended rides, I like that the Empulse has on-board L2 charging, cutting charging time in half. .. and of course there's the six-speed gearbox. At first, I thought their main reason to include shifting was to appeal to traditional riders who feel the "need" to shift. Intrigued if adding the gearbox was worth the weight/space/complexity I read some reviews with these benefits being the most obvious: greater acceleration from a start, higher top end speed, having the option to shift.. but was most interested to learn why they went with 6 gears instead of 2 or 3.

According to the article I read below, it was not just to optimize the powerband across a wider range of speed for greater acceleration and top speed, but a unconventional 2 or 3 speed gearbox may have been too expensive to develop from scratch: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2011/06/article/brammo-shifts-gears/ <An informative read even for petrol heads as the reasoning applies whether it's volts or dino juice that turns the wheels.

Motorcycle.com reviewed the bike back in 2014 when it still carried the Brammo name and with 10% less capacity:

I'll report on how my ride went and if I prefer the higher torque single geared simplicity of the Zero or the quicker, faster shiftable Victory. :gyro
  5. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Ride report:

[​IMG]

Low seat height and narrow width made it easy to throw a leg over. Ride position was neutral and on par with other naked sport bikes. Gauge/instrumentation was easy to read and switches were easy to actuate. Victory's paint, fit and finish were all superb as expected.

Starting in 3rd, power rolled on smooth and no clutch or shifting was necessary but shifting was easy nonetheless and felt strong in any gear. Very little compression braking when downshifting. Clutch pull was smooth and bike felt lighter than expected. Braking was strong and the chassis/suspension felt great for my weight (145lbs).

Current incentive is $10,000 off (with an additional $1000 off for being a veteran) placing it 5 grand under a Zero S ZF13.0 and while the mid-spec'd Zero has a little more range and power, there are key differences I prefer on the Oregon-built electric: onboard L2 charging, styling/Instrumentation, shifting/gearbox, water cooled motor, Brembo brakes, & rider position/seat height

In all, a great ride. I was pleased to find that insurance is half the cost of my FZ-07. With a 5 year warranty, 85 mi real world & 140 mi city range, incentive pricing, this bike is an excellent value and definitely coming home with me soon.
  6. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Tesla founders-backed Alta Motors unveils new electric motorcycle

Fred Lambert
    - Jan. 29th 2017 1:19 pm ET

[​IMG]
    While not as popular as Zero Motorcycle, Alta Motors is an up-and-coming electric motorcycle manufacturer and it unveiled a new version of its flagship Redshift last week that could broaden their market.

Alta’s Redshift was only offered as an all-electric supermoto/motocross, but the latest version of the motorcycle is a new street tracker: Redshift ST.

[​IMG]

Alta Motors, formerly known as BRD Motorcycles, is small electric motorcycle startup based in Silicon Valley that managed to raise over $17 million in funding, including from Tesla co-founders Marc Tarpenning and Martin Eberhard in a $4.5 million Series A round 2 years ago.

The company started production of the first two versions of the Redshift in August. There’s the Redshift SM, which is the street-legal version and starts at $15,500, and there’s the Redshift MX, which is the supermoto version and starts at $15,000.

There are different features that make a street tracker but in short, it’s a dirt track racer made street legal.

It features a new lowered subframe and seat with, of course, flat track wheels.

Alta’s other street-legal Redshift, the SM, is only equipped with a 5.8 kWh battery pack for about 50 miles of range. Hopefully, this new version will introduce a longer range option if it makes it to production.

[​IMG]
    The company is bringing it to the One Moto Show next week in Portland, Oregon, and we should know more about the street tracker then.

https://electrek.co/2017/01/29/tesla-founders-backed-alta-motors-unveils-new-electric-motorcycle/
  7. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
    Rode the zero fxs and zero s today. They were fun, but not paying full msrp fun.

The heavy discounts on the empulse has me doing a double take, especially with the raving review above!
    voltsxamps likes this.
  8. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I agree that the msrp's of the Zero's are a bit steep, plus they've recently increased their prices for 2017, likely in response to Victory no longer being a competitor.

I spoke with the Victory dealer in my area and he said there was not going to be any more production of the Empulse, or any electric offering on the Indian/Polaris side, which is why dealers are moving their remaining TT's on clearance.

It was also recently announced that the chief designer of the Empulse has jumped ship and is now working for Zero.

I have seen low mile Empulse demos as low as $7500 in my area and am wondering how much lower the price will drop in the coming months as it doesn't appear Victory has been able to move very many of these, even with the discount. Seems to parallel pre-owned Nissan Leafs(2014's as low as $6000), whose value has plummeted now that longer range competitors have arrived. Knowing that range anxiety is the biggest factor when purchasing an EV, it's easy to understand why Zero continues to grow in sales and is the most successful el-moto to date because, until charge times match times at the pump, range is king.

While I get Brammo's attempt at making the bike more traditional in feel, it suffers from a higher price tag, more maintenance, heavier weight, less power, bulkier charge cable, older battery tech, shorter range, lacks ABS or smartphone integration, and now, no longer produced by a parent company that will no longer be in business, making replacement parts more expensive with little to no aftermarket options.

Need faster recharge? Zero offers a "charge tank" option for those who want fast DC onboard charging capability, but the local Zero dealer said that most of his buyers are opting for the "power tank" option instead, preferring more range without stopping, rather than having shorter range with faster charging. Since the Empulse only has one of the two options integrated in its build and price, you're committed to more frequent stops to charge with the Empulse which has me thinking, that I may have a better motorcycling experience with the Zero.

As much as I like the Empulse, I have to consider that the value will likely continue to drop and resale will be very difficult in the future as indicated by Zero's greater sales and with Victory closing shop. And if I still decide on getting an Empulse, it makes financial sense to wait a few more months and see where the price bottoms out.
  9. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Brutus V9 - Horsepower 125, Torque 277ft lbs

Brutus is an exceptional custom electric motorcycle manufacturer that combines Anerican muscle and beautiful designs. The V9 is available in 18.8kWh or 33.7kWh.. more than a Nissan Leaf!

http://brutusmotorcycle.com/brutusV9.html

Built in Las Vegas, Brutus offers 3 other beautiful bikes.

[​IMG]
    Brutus 2

[​IMG]
    Brutus Café

[​IMG]
    V2 Rocket

I love their power options and eye for detail.
  10. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but as this is the scooter forum and all...

My Tiger was in the shop recently (for a MONTH) and I spent that time commuting on a GenZe electric scooter instead, courtesy of a local rental service. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would - although the power curve was a little weird, it got to the top speed of 30mph as fast as most cages. These little puppies are all over SF now. If I had $3000 burning a hole in my pocket, I would seriously consider getting one.

(That's not me on the bike.) :)

Attached Files:

voltsxamps likes this.
  11. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Evoke’s ~$10,000 electric motorcycle built by iPhone-maker Foxconn is coming to the US

Fred Lambert
    - Mar. 9th 2017 5:45 pm ET

[​IMG]
    EVOKE MOTORCYCLES

Evoke Motorcycles, an emerging electric motorcycle maker, is ready to expand its production and bring its bikes to the US through a new partnership with manufacturing giant Foxconn, the maker of the iPhone.

The company announced today that it is opening orders for its new flagship Urban S Smart motorcycle in the US and China.

They are going for the lower-end of the market. The company is taking $200 down payments until the end of April in order to lock in a pre-order price of $9,400 fo the Urban S.

The first deliveries in the US are planned for July.

Nathan Siy, CEO of Evoke Electric Motorcycles, said about the announcement:

“We want riders and non-riders to get a chance to access the world of electric motorcycles and we have tried to strip back all the usual barriers including price.”

The company delivered 120 vehicles last year and they expect that 2017 will be a breakout year for them with around 2,000 motorcycles to be produced through the new manufacturing partnership with Foxconn.

Evoke Motorcycles, an emerging electric motorcycle maker, is ready to expand its production and bring its bikes to the US through a new partnership with manufacturing giant Foxconn, the maker of the iPhone.

The company announced today that it is opening orders for its new flagship Urban S Smart motorcycle in the US and China.

[​IMG]

They are going for the lower-end of the market. The company is taking $200 down payments until the end of April in order to lock in a pre-order price of $9,400 fo the Urban S.

The first deliveries in the US are planned for July.

Nathan Siy, CEO of Evoke Electric Motorcycles, said about the announcement:

“We want riders and non-riders to get a chance to access the world of electric motorcycles and we have tried to strip back all the usual barriers including price.”

The company delivered 120 vehicles last year and they expect that 2017 will be a breakout year for them with around 2,000 motorcycles to be produced through the new manufacturing partnership with Foxconn.

[​IMG]

They updated the features with the 2017 version, which is now equipped with Samsung SDI cells for a 9 kWh battery pack. Siy says that it enables a range of 124 miles (200 km) in the city and 74 miles (120 km) on the highway.

The 19 kW motor delivers 86 lb-ft of torque and a top speed of 81 mph (130 km/h).

Evoke Motorcycles, which was founded by European, American and Canadian expatriates living in Beijing, appears to be testing the US market with this relatively cheap European-style motorcycle. The company plans to leverage its electric powertrain to broaden its lineup with two new vehicles, a cruiser and a cafe racer, expected later this year.

[​IMG]

What do you think? Zero Motorcycles could soon have some serious competition?

https://electrek.co/2017/03/09/evoke-electric-motorcycle-iphone-maker-foxconn/

Yes! Finally!
    Culcune likes this.
  12. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Papa Wealey
    RideApart March 28, 2017
    Italian Volt Offers Awesome Looking Electric Motorcycle

With a range of 124-miles, and maximum speed of 110 mph, the Volt offers a minimum 80 percent charge in 40 minutes.

Weight is listed at 540 lbs. The owner can select personal torque and engine braking settings, and a mobile app allows the rider to monitor the charging status remotely. The Volt features Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes.

The Volt’s chassis and bodywork are 3D-printed components, allowing the buyer to choose on of three versions: Scrambler, Roadster or Cafe Racer.

No retail price has been announced. (We can foresee a possible trademark issue with General Motors.) For more information visit: www.italianvolt.com.

[​IMG]
    Italian Volt Electric Motorcycle

Same projected max range of Evoke's S, though with 3 digit top speed and far faster recharge, I expect the well equipped Volt to be at least twice the price of the Evoke.
  13. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread didn't start out in the scooter section. It got moved here for some inconceivable reason.
  14. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    k-moe likes this.
  15. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had been in touch with these guys for the past few years after they posted a survey on mychinamoto.com regarding electric motorcycles/scooters. I was trying to get Excalibur Motorsports (TGB's US distributors) to carry them several months ago, but it looks like they are offering the bikes directly.
  16. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The most interesting part of the Evoke article is:
    "The company plans to leverage its electric powertrain to broaden its lineup with two new vehicles, a cruiser and a cafe racer, expected later this year."
    Why haven't more electric bike makers come out with a cruiser style bike? Everybody is trying to build a sport/naked bike competitive with gas powered bikes. The problem is the way the gas powered versions are used. It's not unusual to ride 50-100 miles to get to the prime mountain roads, thrash about for a couple of hours and then make the long ride home. An electric bike would get to the mountain, have to charge for a few hours, ride a couple of hours, charge up for a few more hours, and then ride home.
    It makes much more sense to build an electric cruiser style bike that will do everything a H/D sportster will do. The instant-on torque launch of an electric gives the desired performance profile for the intended audience. Top speed is not of prime importance as long as it can make short bursts to 90 mph or so. 100 mile range is competitive with a 3.2 gal sportster tank. The weight of the battery pack is not out of line with the weight of your average cruiser. Just hang a subwoofer under the seat to make the proper motor noises and the package is complete.
    Culcune and voltsxamps like this.
  17. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I rode Harley's Livewire electric motorcycle last year. That was a blast. Too bad they were $100,000 prototypes.
    Culcune likes this.
  18. FreshWaterSquid

FreshWaterSquid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I finally had an opportunity to test ride a Zero over the weekend. First I rode the SR and then an FXS. Leading up to this I had the SR in my top 3 list as my next bike. When I got back from the test ride something didn't feel right for me but I couldn't quite put my finger on it so when the rep asked my thoughts all I could utter was that this was like nothing else I've ridden and offered a completely unique experience, which is true. It wasn't until I hopped back on my bike (a big single BMW F650CS) that I realized what the Zeros were missing. They have no motorcycle soul. I now realize that on the Zero I wasn't riding a motorcycle, but a robot....albeit a fast and torquey one. Up to this point I had no idea how important the engine noise, vibrations, clutch and shifting were but I'm convinced now that it is this that makes riding a motorcycle a thrilling and liberating experience for me. An electric motorcycle like a zero is amazing technology and a fun form of transportation but I don't think it will ever be able to replace old school motorcycle fun.

Well needless to say I think I'll be sticking with the F650 for a while....at least one more riding season and then I'm sure the internal deliberations will continue :D
  19. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I got that same soulless feeling riding a Honda NC750X DCT. It never got above 2000 rpm and was boring. You can switch it to manual mode but why bother.
  20. FreshWaterSquid

FreshWaterSquid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can definitely see that. I did ride a twist-and-go scooter before moving to a shifting motorcycle but I'd probably lose a bit of that riding feeling if I were to go back. Going back to the Zero though-where I landed was that if I was living in a place like California (with year-round riding and lane splitting) and had a commute every day I'd probably buy a Zero S. It just makes little sense for me as a casual rider in MN. I work from home right now so without even having a commute kind of removes a large benefit of these electric bikes.

On the other hand I probably will still be reserving a Tesla Model 3.