1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I finally got to test ride a Zero Black Forest. They let me keep it for two months and I was really sorry to see it go back. Wife and I are considering buying one. Neighbor is getting one for sure, trading in his F650GS.

River Rat, Belgian, RCmoto and 9 others like this.
  2. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Twenty years ago did you ever imagine yourself saying such a thing?
  3. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Actually, 8 weeks ago I couldn’t imagine it.
    Jay_In_Milpitas likes this.
  4. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Torque is addicting...
    BMWzenrider and Baldy like this.
  5. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Folks have difficulty comprehending the feel of an electric motorcycle and the first ride seems to harbor an underlying "Okay, when will the disappointment happen?" and then, time passes and it's just,,,,,,,,, whirrrrrrrrrr.

Yes, e-moto is reality.
    JagLite, MJSfoto1956 and BMWzenrider like this.
  6. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Yup. That SR/S I swear wanted to rip my arms out of their sockets on sport mode acceleration.
  7. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    The biggest issue for me at this point with bad knees which are just going to keep aging is the weight/speed/range equation.

To get low weight, you have to sacrifice range, and usually speed.
    To get range, you need to add weight and slow down.
    To get speed, you give up range and usually have to add significant weight (motor & batteries).

I just want a simple electric bike that will be safe to ride on rural 2-lane roads (i.e. sustained 45-50mph), gets at least 100-150 miles on a full charge, and weighs less than 300 pounds.
    Is that too much to ask?
  8. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    100-150 miles range is about 2-4 hours of saddle time (non-stop); do you currently sustain that amount of saddle time in one sitting?
    Do you take a break of meal during that 100-150 mile ride?
  9. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Yeah, like a perpetual "coming on the cam" or "on the pipe (2 stroke)" that never noses over.
  10. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, to your first question, I do have several Iron Butt Rides under my belt, and have ridden solo from Wisconsin to Anchorage in under a week.
    So... Yes, I am able to stay in the saddle for 2-4 hours when I wish.

And to your second question, I do not plan to ride only where my lunch stops will have somewhere to plug in while I dine.
    Besides seeking out rural twisties whenever I am able to, some of my favorite places to visit are BLM land, National Forests, and National Parks.

If I were only looking for an urban bike, range would not be a big issue.
    That is not my application.

----------

What I am using as my "test case" for a potential bike is to be able to ride the "Big Loop" around Big Bend National Park on a single charge/fill.
    The "Big Loop" is ~108 miles long and is a mixture of about 1/2 pavement & 1/2 offroad which routes you literally all the way around the Chisos Mountains.
    The pavement sections climb from 1,800-ft elevation up to over 4,000-ft elevation, and then back down.
    The off-road segments include sections of well graded gravel, rutted dirt (or mud depending upon recent rainfall), loose river rock, sand, and rocky/hilly sections with baby heads and stairs.

Big Bend NP - big loop route.jpg

It "may" be possible to pirate some 110v juice at the Visitor Center, maybe...
    However, it would be difficult to find somewhere to plug-in while having lunch out here:

XT225 with Mule Ears.jpg
    (View of Mule Ears from along the River Road jeep trail in Big Bend NP)

YMMV...
    snowjob and Allucaneat like this.
  11. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    So back in 2012, we were early adopters buying a Zero Xu. At the time it fit our use case well. New Mexico limits kids between the ages of 13 and 16 to street motorcycles of 100cc or less. Our then-13-y.o. had been riding since she was 4, and we wanted to let her ride the rural highway (Route 66) between our house and her middle school on a bike with modern brakes and suspension. That's damn hard to find in a <100cc bike. Most are 25 years old or worse. Plus the Zero had limited range, so she could ride to school and back but not much of anywhere else, which was appealing. And, well, electric bikes have *no* displacement, so she could ride within NM law.

So we got the Zero, she took her MSF course from a dear friend, and she was the coolest kid on campus for the last few months of the school year.

For high school she attended a charter school for the arts in Santa Fe, and stayed in a dorm M-F. The bike stayed up there with her. She rode it to school before it got too cold. Picked it up again with warmer weather and everything's cool.

Next year, same-same. Except when winter rolled around, the bike didn't get plugged in so the battery discharged - dead - flatline. Shuffled off to meet its maker. The battery was no more - it was an ex-Zero.

Zero corpse.JPG

I haven't mentioned yet, but Zero abandoned the 2012-and-earlier battery architecture with no backwards compatibility. I brought the bike back home to try and recover it, but to no success.
    It sat, and it sat, and it sat. Every now and then I'd do some internet searching, trying to find support for the bike. I called Zero who tried to sell me one of the newer models, but the Xu had a very low seat height and nothing newer was comparable. The dealer we bought it from went out of business, and I was looking at hauling the bike to another state to maybe get service for a bike the factory wouldn't support. I googled replacement batteries with no luck. I did all that several times over the years, hit a brick wall each time, and let it drop.

Just recently, though, my wife heard of a Zero Wiki (https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Main_Page), an unofficial compilation of user knowledge that was mostly lacking info on the early models. I did find, however, a recommendation for a hybrid battery service company in Illinois that had rebuilt another Xu owner's inert lump. So I sent them an email, and they quoted me a steep price for rebuilding the Zero's battery pack. I decided to take the chance to bring this corpse back from the grave, so I shipped off the battery last week and now I'm awaiting a progress report and a bill.

I understand the sunken cost fallacy. If this doesn't work I will still have a very expensive corpse in my garage, which I will probably donate to the local public radio station. If I get the bike on the road again, my daughter won't be riding it - she's going to ASU and there's no secure parking with a power outlet. But my wife has expressed interest in commuting with it. She already commutes in a Chevy Spark and pictures herself using the Zero on fine days. I'll have to spend some time with her coaching how to drive a street bike down a dirt/sand road to get to Route 66, and then she'll be good to go. As long as the rejuvenated battery can get her down the road to work, then up the hill and back home, a round trip of about 15 miles with both highway and city traffic.

I've ridden the bike BITD, before it died. It was kinda spindly, but it was basically a commuter bike. It did everything a commuter should, except that range and recharging are weaknesses. My daughter still loves the bike - she practiced some of her art upon it so it's got *story*. When she finishes school, or at least moves somewhere it can be charging and secure, she can probably have it back. If my wife will let it go.

Zero art.JPG
    WKUWIZ, Cam2ride, magnussonh and 3 others like this.
  12. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    True, but what made the SR/S so much more fun was the fact that there is no winding up. It just does that right from the start. goD the torque on it can make grown men giggle.
  13. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Yep, I giggled and will gladly admit it.
  14. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got to right the SR/S it was nice
    jimmy650 likes this.
  15. Belgian

Belgian Kipper

Oddometer:
    Twenty years ago, I didn't imagine anything that's happening today. Except that I might still have my Harley and my wife. Which is so indeed. Never thought about other motorcycles, yet.
  16. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Harleys last forever but wives are tricky. Good luck. Be nice to each other.
    Belgian likes this.
  17. Belgian

Belgian Kipper

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it'shard to stay nice to the Harley, she doesn't always do what's requested...
    MJSfoto1956 and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  18. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Remember that crazy BMW concept electric motorcycle? New filings show it may be produced

Micah Toll

- Aug. 31st 2020 11:10 am ET

[​IMG]

Last summer BMW wowed us with the unveiling of its straight-out-of-the-future BMW Vision DC Roadster electric motorcycle concept.

At the time we all thought it was a pretty drawing, but not much more than that. As it turns out though, BMW might have real plans for a new DC line of electric motorcycles.

That news comes to us via a slew of trademark filings that BMW recently placed with the German Patent and Trademark Office (DPMA).

A whopping nine of those trademarks include “DC” registered as relating to motorcycles.

The other two included the terms CE02 and CE04, which are speculated to be updated versions of the BMW C Evolution electric scooter, a theory buoyed by the fact that those two trademarks were filed with a reference to “motorcycles/scooters” instead of just motorcycles.

In fact, BMW recently filed a series of patents showing an updated version of the BMW C Evolution electric scooter, complete with a removable canopy, air bags, race-style seat, active aerodynamics, and other major upgrades.

But the main attraction is of course the BMW Vision DC Roadster electric motorcycle concept.

[​IMG]

https://electrek.co/2020/08/31/crazy-bmw-concept-electric-motorcycle-vision-dc-roadster-production/
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  19. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It still looks stupid.
    derblauereiter and voltsxamps like this.
  20. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I agree. Why is the rider sitting so high and feet positioned so far back? It’s as if he riding the motorcycle from the passenger seat.