1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Will wait for them to create a GS version.
  2. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki test shared swappable electric motorcycle batteries

Micah Toll
    - Sep. 4th 2020 6:17 am ET

[​IMG]
    17 Comments
    The Big Four motorcycle manufacturers in Japan, including Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki, are teaming up on electric motorcycle development and testing.

Specifically, the companies are working together to develop a shared swappable battery platform for electric motorcycles.

The foursome announced the establishment of a consortium to develop swappable batteries for electric motorcycles last year. But we haven’t heard a peep out of any of them regarding updates, at least until now.

In the first bit of news to come out of the consortium, it turns out that the companies are ready to begin testing their shared, swappable electric motorcycle battery design with real users.

https://electrek.co/2020/09/04/hond...test-swappable-electric-motorcycle-batteries/

fast charging vs fast swapping. We’ll have to see which prevails or if both will coexist.
  3. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    About time! But didn't Gogoro from Taiwan already solve this problem?
    voltsxamps likes this.
  4. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I guess they wanted their own “standard”
  5. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Route 66 EV & EM Rally

A7408536-E9C3-4111-AFC0-75A52168F7B9.jpeg

Members from SoCal Electric Motorcycle Owners Group will be attending. Look forward to seeing some of you there :gyro

2312729D-9039-4EA5-A55E-681DC6CB9231.jpeg

Harley will be showing a LiveWire to the event as well.

RSVP/Register for a chance to win $250:
    https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=2452
  6. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    E-bike and e-motorcycle manufacturers set to triple sales in 2020

Energica currently on track to triple its 2019 sales by the end of 2020, with over €4.3M in revenue so far this year.”

“The largest electric bicycle manufacturer in the US, Rad Power Bikes, is also on track to more than triple its 2019 sales this year, for a projected $250 million in revenue for 2020“

“Even garage startup Lectric estimates to generate around $25M in revenue in 2020.”

https://electrek.co/2020/09/10/get-...le-manufacturers-set-to-triple-sales-in-2020/
  7. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    With so many people now working from home, I speculate that is influencing the e-bike trend. A quick run to the store or such to get out of the house, but not wanting to use the car.

Humorous side note. Before the shut-down, I noticed the bike rack outside the membership fitness place near me had an increasing number of e-bikes.
    pretbek and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  8. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my e-bicycle half a year before the epidemic and I find that I use it a lot exactly for that; short trips into town that I would otherwise have done on my way to or from work.

It is nice to be able to use it as regular transportation, thanks to the the electric assist arrive fresh and not sweaty (which otherwise happens due to my lack of stamina and propensity to sweat from my head quickly and the humid weather here).
    voltsxamps and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  9. Hair

Hair On time and on budget. Supporter

Oddometer:
    And interesting fact pruned from the ARS Technica Titled how Tesla plans to make batteries cheap enough for a $25000.00 car.

copied section
    This being Elon Musk, it's worth taking the timeline with a grain of salt. And as a forthcoming deep dive by Ars Technica's Scott Johnson will explain, some of Tesla's supposed breakthroughs—especially with respect to cell chemistry—are worth viewing with skepticism.

While a 56-percent reduction in battery costs over three years might seem like a big improvement—and it would be—it would represent a pace of progress only modestly faster than what the broader battery industry has enjoyed in recent years. For example, research firm BloombergNEF estimates that the market price of a 1 kWh battery pack fell from $1,160 in 2010 to $153 in 2019. That represents a nearly eight-fold decline in nine years—or a halving of battery costs every three years.

Link: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/09/how-tesla-plans-to-make-batteries-cheap-enough-for-a-25000-car/

I've been interested in an electric dual sport for years. While the mileage and quality keeps going up so does the price. Meanwhile Bloomberg NEF suggest that the over all price of a battery is off by just about an order of magnitude per KW.
  10. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    The first Zero was quite light but had a short range. The light bike was built to carry the battery.
    When they made their first street legal bike, there was a bit more range from a larger capacity battery and the weight went up to cope.
    Stronger requires more material or exotic material. Either way it's more money.
  11. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  12. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    woodsrider-boyd and Yinzer Moto like this.
  13. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I don't drive electric but I have an electric shaver, does that count?

I drive it around my face sometimes.
  14. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All my frequently used lawn and garden tools are electric:
    • Riding mower
    • Walk behind mower
    • Trimmer
    • Leaf blower
    Does that count?

I've read that gas powered lawn and garden equipment pollute orders of magnitude more per hour of operation than a modern car.
  15. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Which riding mower do you have?

The go-kart like Home Depot mower looks like more fun than the John Deere I must endure.
  16. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the one, the Ryobi RM480 that Home Depot sells. Mine is only the 75aH model, I think they only sell the 100aH one now.
    I'd have sprung for the 100aH model if I bought new, but, I found a killer deal on mine used, with 40 hours on it. I got it along with a Ryobi leaf blower and a Ryobi trimmer, both 40V, all for $1,600, little more than half the new price of the RM480 by itself.
  17. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Is the drive motor direct or use a chain of other system that might be altered to change top speed?
  18. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It appears that the drive motor has a gear reduction at the differential to drive the rear wheels.
  19. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    So there may be opportunity to tweak.
  20. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's to tweak? To me, it is an appliance that does the job I bought it for, and does it quite well. The only mods that I anticipate doing is to maybe build a lithium battery pack (using inexpensive secondary market automotive cells, perhaps from a Volt or Leaf) to replace the sealed lead acid batteries when they go, as they're likely a weak link on this machine.

I really like not having to deal with running to fill gas cans to feed the lawn tools. It is so convenient to just plug them in when done, and they're "full" next time I use them. Plus, I'm doing a small part to offset the CO2 and other pollutants emitted by my motorcycles when I ride them.
    pretbek, MJSfoto1956 and Justforfun like this.