1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    They are lead acid? Is this still 1980?
  2. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep -- cost control measure.
    4 kWh worth of lithium batteries are about $2k, vs. about $600 for SLA.
    Add $1,500 to the $2,999 list price of this mower, and the price difference vs an equivalent gas-powered unit becomes too high for most people to consider buying it.
  3. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Polaris & Zero announce 10 year partnership

2600C731-4718-419A-8E57-C9D558C4FB6B.jpeg

“Polaris and Zero Motorcycles to co-develop electric off-road vehicles was announced this morning.

Polaris and Zero claim the first off-road electric vehicle developed by the partnership will roll out by the end of 2021.

The details of the agreement indicate that Polaris will handle the development, manufacture, and sales of the electric vehicles, while Zero will be in charge of aspects related to the electric drivetrains of the vehicles.“

https://electrek.co/2020/09/29/offr...ero-motorcycles-announce-10-year-partnership/

.. anyone else remember what happened the last time Polaris partnered with a front runner electric motorcycle company? I know HadesOmega does. Brammo was years ahead of anyone else in electric motorcycles with their EmpulseTT and when Polaris acquired them, the brand and it’s bikes closed shop within 20 months.

Is this another deal with the devil in the making? I sincerely hope not. If Polaris can manage not to kill off Zero the same way it did Brammo’s bikes, then hopefully their involvement will lead to higher voltages, the ability to charge CCS DCFC, increased capacity, and improved reliability. When BRP acquired the remaining Alta patents, they announced they had no plans on reviving the brand or apply the tech, shortly after Harley “invested” in them, then reneged. (yet another great example when a small successful EM company is joined by a large gas powered behemoth). I want to be an optimist here, but the track record of larger monoliths investing, partnering, or acquiring front running electric companies is abismal at best. :pepSeems to me that the old establishment has been employing an “acquire and kill off” strategy to keep successful electric brands from getting too competitive.
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  4. magnussonh

magnussonh Been here awhile

Oddometer:

"We're just waiting for a breakthrough now, on the batteries." "You'll be able to get into speed, range, and everything." "In one and a half, to two years" "We will get it"

Shouldn't be too long now.
    Bt10 likes this.
  5. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    People are using Teslas for daily drivers. Driving across country in them.

What more do you want? Lol.
  6. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    One that I can afford.
    Bt10 and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  7. magnussonh

Oddometer:
    "People are using Teslas for daily drivers" This guy was using the car as as daily driver. As of today you can add Nissan Leaf, Audi Etron, BMW i3, Chevrolet Bolt, Honda Clarity, Hyundai Ionic, Hyundai Kona, Jaguar Ipace, Kia Niro, Mini Cooper, Porsche Taycan, VW E-Golf, VW ID3, and so on, to your list of daily drivers.
    "What more do you want?" Affordability, faster charging, longer range, a system that would allow you to temporary add energy storage for across country travel, are few of the things I want.
    But I don't worry. With all the money going into electric vehicles these days we probably only have to wait one and a half, maybe two years, for that.
    I wonder how his batteries would fit in a power wall.
    pretbek and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  8. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Watch this 1.2 Megawatt electric motorcycle break the world record in 6-second drag race

Micah Toll - Oct. 5th 2020 8:31 am ET

“.. on run number 7, the team’s luck (and years of hard work) proved fruitful as the Silver Lightning and its rider Hans-Henrik Thomsen crossed the line with a time of 6.87 seconds and at a top speed of 307 km/h (191 mph). The 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) time of the run was a mere 0.9 seconds.”

[​IMG]
    With two runs left, the team tried to push the bike just a bit further. The team dialed up the power even higher, but that only resulted in wheel slip.

On the last run of the day, the True Cousins racing team dialed the power back down a bit and decreased tire pressure to 9 PSI to increase traction. The tweaks were successful as the team ran their final sprint with an even faster time of 6.86 seconds. And that was despite the rider briefly looking grip on the throttle due to the vibrations and spending nearly one second at 20% reduced power.

You can see Hans-Henrik Thomsen’s record-breaking run below. But watch carefully — it’s over in barely six seconds.

woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  9. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    If the SR/F can make it feel like it wants to rip your arms out of the sockets, you just have to wonder how that things feels.
    voltsxamps and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  10. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Yes, it would help if they shared G-force reading of acceleration.
  11. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    At the moment, by market cap Exxon + Chevron + Shell + BP = TSLA

Exxon alone was the most valuable company in the world 10 years ago.
    MJSfoto1956 and voltsxamps like this.
  12. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    PURSANG’s 75 mph electric motorcycles with 3 batteries

Micah Toll
    - Oct. 6th 2020 7:38 am ET

[​IMG]

Spanish electric motorcycle company PURSANG has spent the last few years reviving the historic brand and preparing for production.
    Now the company is sharing a new closer look at the PURSANG E-Track electric motorcycle.

[​IMG]
    The bike features an 11 kW continuous-rated Bosch motor and a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph).

Three 48V batteries rated for 2.4 kWh each provide a total of 7.2 kWh of capacity, equivalent to a Zero FXS electric motorcycle.

The batteries are not removable, but the bike does feature an on-board charger and built in charging cord allowing riders to plug in anywhere a standard 220V outlet is available.

The PURSANG E-Track has three riding modes of Go, Cruise, and Boost that have ranges of 140, 115, and 80 km (87, 71, and 50 miles), respectively.

There’s also a Crawl mode that can be enabled to help walk the 147 kg (324 lb) bike while it is being pushed or maneuvered into place.

The bike draws upon flat tracker design elements including high, wide handlebars and a body finish with a minimalist tail. However, the PURSANG E-Track is built for the street and is thus street legal, offering an entire light package, JJuan brakes and Pirelli Scorpion tires.

[​IMG]
    The bike is built on a tubular chromoly frame and features a body made of laminated carbon.

So far, early sales have occurred on PURSANG’s website, where the bike starts at €12,700 (US$14,970), though that figure includes European VAT.

https://electrek.co/2020/10/06/pursang-e-track-75-mph-electric-motorcycles-with-3-batteries/
    kzeb, Bt10 and wheelbender6 like this.
  13. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally a good looking bike, although pricier than my Zero FXS and with less range. The local dealer makes the difference though. If I was in Europe and this bike was available to me, but not Zero, I'd have no problem getting one. I wonder if boost mode is the only mode that gets you 120km/h? IF that's true, then the range is unacceptable.
  14. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I agree that it’s a great looking bike. I also agree that the range at freeway speeds is short for the price, when compared to Zero’s or Enérgica’s for not much more. It really needs something closer to 13kWh to be competitive in the US or priced about 4K less given its range and speed for me to consider it a good buy.
  15. magnussonh

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. I guess I'd better start saving.
  16. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Dougzone, kzeb and Allucaneat like this.
  17. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    magnussonh likes this.
  18. magnussonh

Oddometer:
  19. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Drum brakes? Really?
  20. woodsrider-boyd