Electric Motorcycle & Scooter News/Updates

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I thought of the same word. Not that I think it's revolting, but it reminds me of those parents that name their kids something obvious that will be picked on. Just what do they think "revolt" will conjure up? :lol2

I'm sensing a pattern though with these non-motorcycle companies making new (electric) motorcycles for the first time. The design swings too minimalistic. It's almost a good thing that these motorcycles have a limited range, because there is no accommodation for storage of any kind.
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  2. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    The tank is most likely for visual appeal. Might be also serving as storage? The company web site is saying little more that "heritage" and "coming".
  3. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    They do keep the esthetics of pre-war motorcycles. Depending on the performance (city speed only?) there should not be a problem.
    AZbiker and voltsxamps like this.
  4. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Form without function is ugly and idiotic. Do not like.
  5. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    2021 UBCO updated with 33% more range

The updated models in the line include the off-road 2X2 Work Bike and the both on- and off-road 2X2 Adventure Bike.

Both of the bikes now feature improved torque, power, and traction.

Both bikes are also powered by UBCO’s standalone KXH Power Supply, a battery that is available in three different capacities (2.1, 2.6, and 3.1 kWh).

With two different models and three different batteries, there are six different configurations of the 2X2 available.

[​IMG]
    As the company explained:

“Customers can choose the bike and power supply capacity that best suits their needs and applications. A farmer might go for a 2X2 Work Bike with a 2.1kWh Power Supply. They need an off-road vehicle that’s rugged, durable and lightweight. Whereas a delivery driver might opt for a 2X2 Adventure Bike with a 3.1kWh Power Supply. They need a road registerable vehicle that can cope with paved or gravel roads, carry their cargo, and withstand the daily high workload.”

In addition to the new batteries with up to 23% more capacity, UBCO has also increased the efficiency of its motors by 10%. Combined, that adds up to 33% more range compared to the company’s previous models.

https://electrek.co/2020/10/19/ubco...toughest-electric-motorbikes-boosts-range-33/
    BMWzenrider likes this.
  6. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    KAWASAKI FORGING ON WITH HYBRID POWER AS NEW PATENTS SURFACE

Kawasaki looks to be pushing on with hybrid powertrain as new patent shows combustion-powered bike backed with an electric motor

By Simon Hancocks
    Tue, 20 Oct 2020

Beneath the skin there lies an electric motor and battery pack that is combined with the conventional petrol engine.

The throttle works in the traditional way, although it is combined with a four-way joystick that can select specific riding maps and what looks like a boost button.

[​IMG]

The four-way joystick is used to select different riding and battery regeneration modes. As the chart below advises, the top level utilises the engine and electric motor at the same time, with the clutch and gearbox used in a conventional manner.

The next level down works in a similar manner, although with the electric motor working purely to recover electrical energy to be fed back into the battery.

[​IMG]

The bottom mode on the chart below shows a purely electric mode, with the gearbox still active although the combustion engine is now stopped, and the bike runs like a fully electric bike.

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-...grntUa0X27cOdI_RRfztWYpEs1bqrSpza818dhzBLUiFQ

I
    nteresting..
    BMWzenrider and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  7. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    I agree and I like it. My thought went directly to using my CSC Motorcycles RX3 as an example for adapting such a system. The problem being that the little 250 holds it's own on the interstate, but lacks the grunt for a safe, quick passing maneuver.

My thought is for lower ratios in 1 through 3 for better "Adventuring" ability, 4 & 5 gearing as is now installed, but 6th geared taller for a lower cruising RPM, but with the electric motor boost available to either add a few pounds of torque to manage a steep incline, or big push for maybe a minute to do the passing mentioned above.

Would not require a large heavy battery.
    Bt10 likes this.
  8. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    New Texas EV startup unveils US-made electric motorcycle with the right specs and price

Micah Toll
    - Oct. 21st 2020 3:18 am ET

The Volcon Grunt’s 37 kW (50 hp) motor offers 102 Nm (75 lb-ft) of torque and propels the bike to a claimed 60 mph (96 km/h) top speed in 6 seconds.

It also comes with a maximum range of 100 miles (160 km), and Volcon claims the batteries will be swappable, so even if the range isn’t quite as good, a spare battery could easily double it.

[​IMG]

Volcon Grunt listed at just $5,995 for a spring 2021 debut.

[​IMG]

https://electrek.co/2020/10/21/new-...ic-motorcycle-with-the-right-specs-and-price/
    Allucaneat and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  9. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like it uses either one or two Sur Ron batteries. If that’s the case, the range is grossly overstated. It’ll probably be a fun trail or farm bike, though.
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  10. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    With those tires, the pavement speeds would be best 40 mph and below. It's an electric version of the Honda TR200 and similar offerings from Yamaha and Suzuki, so meant for lower speeds on non-paved surfaces.

Also, that is such a CUTE itty-bitty hay bale in the picture.
    AZbiker likes this.
  11. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    It's useful for a guinea pig farm.
  12. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it outsells the Livewire won't that be an embarrassment.
  13. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a comment, I think the farm bike thing is right on the money for early mainstream EV sales. Most farm bikes don't do that many k's/day, aren't expected to do high speeds and it's very desirable that the bastard thing starts reliably. There are BIG solar installs appearing on farms around here for irrigation so 'free fuel' is right on as well in that market.

I suspect it's an even easier sale to make than the scooter replacement for commute is. Charging likely is free. No range anxiety (most farmers have a truck as well), speed isn't really an issue and reliability should be well up on an IC vehicle.
  14. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Heavily modified Zero DS for a healthy sum:

Micah Toll - Oct. 25th 2020 6:03 am ET

The DM-017 V2 E-Fighter comes with lightweight solid wheels, updated LED lighting, aggressive all-terrain tires, upgraded front and rear suspension, custom seat and totally redesigned body panels.

If it wasn’t for that recognizable Zero swingarm and the motor it hides, I probably would not have realized the bike ever started life as a Zero. And even then, I probably couldn’t tell you which model it was.

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    The Zero DS’s 34 kW (46 hp) motor propels the bike up to 158 km/h (98 mph).

Of course a customization job like this isn’t cheap, and pricing starts at $40,000, which is more than three times the price of a base Zero DS.

https://electrek.co/2020/10/25/droo...based-on-a-zero-ds-yet-looks-nothing-like-it/

Interesting looking. Don’t know about you, but I’ve got better things to spend 40k on. :dunno
    AZbiker likes this.
  15. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    That brought to mind a kit car from the late 1980's that resembled an Italian supercar. You had to start with a late 1980's Corvette, then put on the (about) $40,000 body kit.

Yeah, $40k is rich folks toy territory.
    AZbiker likes this.
  16. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stupid, impractical build. The headlight behind the fork is stupid. The tail/stop light is completely insufficient to be seen, and it has no fenders, which means you'll be covered in road slop the first puddle you hit.

It is possible to build a cool custom bike that is still practical to ride. This is not one of those builds.
    AZbiker, voltsxamps and dogsslober like this.
  17. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    You left out grossly overpriced ;)
    AZbiker, Jay_In_Milpitas and jas67 like this.
  18. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    Finally, an EM that makes the LiveWire look like a good value.
  19. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    CAKE adds two racing models, starts racing league

Micah Toll
    - Oct. 30th 2020 10:37 am ET

[​IMG]

CAKE has two new race-oriented versions of its electric dirt bikes, and the company is ready to put them to use on the track.

The bikes get new fenders, fork guards, CAKE-specific MX wheels and hubs, and more extreme tires.

The company is also planning to offer a RACE upgrade kit so that current Kalk OR and Kalk INK owners can take advantage of the new RACE setup and covert their own bikes into proper motocross-ready models. The add-on kit will be available this December and will cost US$2,100.

For those that want to buy the RACE bikes ready-to-go, the Kalk OR RACE will retail for US$13,000, while the Kalk INK RACE will retail for US$10,500. Both models will be available starting in March 2021.

CAKE is also developing a new electric motocross racing league known as the International CAKE One Design Race series format. It was designed similar to the FIA Formula E World Championships, with the goal of spreading the racing series across many cities around the world and receive FIM approval.

The first race already occurred this September in St. Tropez, France.

[​IMG]

https://electrek.co/2020/10/30/swedish-electric-dirt-bike-maker-cake-adds-two-racing-models/
    Neil E. and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  20. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Great specs, looks like a very high performance dirt bike, but the styling in my opinion is ugly !! Big dollar toy