Electric motorcycles equivalent to 320-373 mpg

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Mar 14, 2018.

1. MX500

MX500 n00b

Oddometer:

Where can you buy gallons of electricity? :rofl
  2. BrianTRice

BrianTRice Nerdy adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, engineer who uses PGE. I'm also an engineer who uses PGE.

The numbers are sound from every perspective but how the utility operates and translates that into dollar value. PG&E is far from ideal but the assumptions are realistic.

I'll clarify what you should consider that has been already stated:
    • The conversion / loss from station to the motorcycle wheel is very low compared to combustion thermodynamics.
    • There's a considerable overhead in processing petroleum and shipping it not usually accounted for.
    • Offsetting the energy processing to a gas or coal plant still has a major leg up in terms of industrial-scale process efficiency.
    • Electric motorcycles are at least twice as efficient as electric cars in converting energy to distance travelled (for commuting and individual or 2-up travel).
    You should also include hydroelectric power in "the only way to save money and be green". In Washington state, most power comes from hydroelectric dams and is cheap and quite green.

It's not misinformation, in any case, even if you don't think it's perfectly accommodating to your stance.
    Sigster and ctromley like this.
  3. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's hard to debate your point when we don't know what "in my area" means. Fill in your location in the profile area please.
    YamaGeek likes this.
  4. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Some deep shit going on in this thread. :lurk
  5. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    My electric car does roughly 4 miles per KWH.
    A KWH of off peak electricity costs me 5 pence.
    So 1.5 p per mile. My ICE car goes roughly 35 miles per (imp) gallon, so in comparison that’s 50p per gallon.

In the UK a gallon of petrol costs £5.25, so paying the equivalent of 50p per gallon is a huge saving. Calculations will vary in your jurisdiction

Other running costs are likely to be really cheap as well, 95% of braking is done by regenerating energy, there isn’t a clutch or a gearbox. First service is in 2 years from new.

Mechanically an electric car is a very simple beast, batteries and electric motor, a chain of gears to the drive shaft, heating and cooling to the batteries and that’s about it. Yes complex software and battery management, but once that is done it can be rolled out over lots of models.

Electric cars are expensive compared to their ICE comparators, but very soon they will be cheaper and will walk away with the market.

P.s mine is an absolute hoot to drive, haven’t had as much fun in a car since I was 17, instant torque, it’s addictive.
    (The ICE has been sold, but I’m keeping my ICE bikes)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bar None, ctromley and voltsxamps like this.
  6. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in San Diego gas is approaching $3.75/gallon and electricity for the cheapest tier is $.24/KWh. My wife's volt has a ~17KWh battery and gets about 50 miles to exhaustion. 17KWh x $.24/KWh = ~$4 to go 50 miles. That sized car with ICE would cost about $6 in gas to drive that 50 miles. Electric is cheaper yes but not outrageous.

What is dramatic is the savings of solar systems for SD. Power from the grid is expensive compared to other places and the sun shines a lot. I see it as a no brainer and don't see why everyone doesn't get it in some manner.

DD
  7. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cali is fixin to mandate all new homes have solar panels soon.
  8. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What brand and model is your electric car?
  9. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Electric auto owners please post your vehicles make and model. Better yet put it in your signature.
  10. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a prius prime advanced.
  11. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    If everything goes right, im planning on a used Volt within a year
  12. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    That sounds exactly like something CA would force on its residents. :rolleyes
  13. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Model 3 reservation holder as of March 31 2016.. now just weeks away from delivery.

Former owner of an 96v e-Grom and soon to be owner of an Alta, Zero, or Energica; currently split between the SM, SR, or EVA.

Was a signature away from taking home a Victory Empulse last year but opted for an FZ-07 instead, holding out for the next gen EM’s to debut. Glad I waited as performance, range, and price have all improved. Patiently waiting to see Yamaha, Harley and others to release their EM’s but won’t be holding my breath for too much longer as I’m confident that I’ll be satisfied with any of the three aforementioned models above.

With gas prices on the rise again, I’m looking forward again to riding past the gas pumps and I’m certainly not going to miss taking my current bike in for its interval maintenance.
  14. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is a BMW i3 94 Rex.....2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Using your numbers:

10,000,000 ICE cars driving 15,000 miles each and getting 25 mpg average would consume 6 billion gallons. Each gallon of gas consumes 6 kWh of electricity to process it, or 36 billion kWh. Replace those 10 million ICE cars with EVs and you have to subtract the kWh to produce the gasoline, for an increase of 52.5-36 = 16.5 billion kWh, or only a 0.4% increase.

That's down in the noise. Now granted there would need to be changes in were power is needed or not (less to refineries, more to residences), but change will be gradual. Seems pretty manageable to me.
  17. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool info, but that 6kWh number may not be accurate.

But, to your point, the net difference would be fairly small.

Now, we just need solar powered charging stations that can charge a car 100% in 15-45 minutes .That would be awesome .
  18. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    The UK national Grid seems to be somewhat relaxed about demands on the system created by EVS, they certainly don’t think that EVs will crash the system.

EVs could help as well, with Vehicle to Grid software and meters, then the Grid could use EVs as a giant source of stored power, using it at times of peak demand, much cheaper than having Gas and diesel generators standing idle waiting for peaks of demand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  19. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I can buy a fuel-efficient gas motorcycle for under $5000.

A good electric motorcycle will sell for more than double that. And $6000-$8000 will buy me a lot of gasoline...and a conventional motorcycle, when used-up, can just be fed into the shredder.

The toxic materials in the battery pack and elaborate controls...and the batteries will need to be replaced...those are much-more toxic to Mother Earf than the cleaned-up exhaust off a fuel-injected modern 650.

And I say that as a former Zero owner. As a technological accomplishment, I was impressed. As a way to "save the planet" I am not.
  20. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Fully Recyclable

“Zero Motorcycles uses the best practices in the EV industry to make sure all of our lithium-ion batteries are recycled. Each one uses a chemistry that allows us to take advantage of continuously improving battery-recycling programs.“

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/technology/
    Remarksman and Sigster like this.