Electric motorcycles equivalent to 320-373 mpg

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Mar 14, 2018.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Where can you use the charge tank? Which plug do you need? How long does it take to charge?
  2. WagonWillie

WagonWillie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can use the interface at most charge stations as it has the typical J1772 port. I use the one at Sierra Nevada Brewery as it is totally "off grid" and is powered by their solar panels, plus I can go inside and enjoy a cup of coffee or grab lunch while I wait. There are 6 other free charge stations in town, including one at the CHP that is also solar powered. It charges 3 times faster than the usual onboard charger that utilizes household current, so charge time is dependent upon how much juice you need at that time. I live up in the mountains and it takes a lot of juice to climb the mountain at 70 MPH, so sometimes I need just enough to ensure that I don't end up walking the last mile or so.

A lot of Zero owners have decided to use the aftermarket Diginow charger instead of the one from Zero, but I bought my bike used and it already had the charge tank.
  3. hevster1

hevster1 The Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Super capacitors again. There are a ton of companies working on this technology. The problem is Caps like to give all their power immediately. That's great for short distances or a power boost but not for storage capacity for distance.
  4. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    True, true, but they also charge very quickly, hence the hybrid battery/capacitor concept.
  5. hevster1

Oddometer:
    5 hours of charging to ride 8 isn't exactly my idea of a good time but to each his own. Also since this is an ADV site, the practicality of a ADV bike while touring off road is very limited. This probably won't change for a long time if ever. I emailed Alta a while back and told them I need a bike with at least 120 miles range minimum, dual sport street legal with quality suspension capable of doing d/s rides. I was told to buy a KTM.
  6. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    Well, of course you're right, but things are getting better all the time. A lot of R&D is being done on both the batteries and the motors, so the specs continue to improve. Right now the Zero DSR with the charge tank comes close to meeting your stated requirements with 132 miles of combined range, is dual sport street legal and has quality Showa suspension that's fully adjustable for sag, compression and rebound. No, I don't have any skin in the Zero game other than I own, ride and love my Zero SR.
  7. BrianTRice

BrianTRice Nerdy adventurer

Oddometer:
    What I’m doing is R&D so that eventually we get an electric tourer, not trying to tell you that what’s here now is acceptable.

Alta doesn’t make a battery larger than 5.8kWh. My current Zero DSR battery total is 15kWh. Zero is the only manufacturer getting close to a regular bike at a price under $25k.

We’re not in the no compromises range yet, but it’s getting there and lots of efforts are happening in parallel to enable that. The chargers are improving, and the cells are improving.

The goal btw is 2 hours charging for every 6 hours of riding. That’s what aerodynamic improvements do.

I’m working to make an aerodynamic kit to get the most out of both the cells and the chargers.
  8. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    Do you have any preliminary drawings or models? Full fairing? Cafe style or more upright touring? Pushing air consumes by far and away the most energy at higher speeds so I am also very interested in aerodynamic improvements. I've seen some aftermarket 'glass fairings adapted to the Zero and have been tempted to go that route myself. Thoughts?
  9. Errant

Errant Wandering Aimlessly

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't come to this page in the forum If you were not interested. The fact that you have posted here means you are interested (yet disappointed). Welcome to electrics.

I think taking a bike into unknown possibilities is the heart and soul of ADV. Not so much Kilometers / Miles per day.

'Lectrick:
    "oh shit.. will I find a charge point?"

ICE:
    "will my tank last me until X-town for fuel?"

Same adventure.
    Rugby4life, BrianTRice and voltsxamps like this.
  10. hevster1

Oddometer:
    Interested? Absolutely. Think of the trails which should (but probably won't) open up with a zero noise bike. Disappointed? Yes and no. I work in the industry and at this time the practicality of any BEV is at issue.
  11. hevster1

Oddometer:
    I understand what you're saying. However, I am more interested in the dirt aspect of ADV bikes and D/S bikes. Good luck to you.
  12. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    That post didn’t age well.. :gerg
    Bluesmudge and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  13. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're damn right it didn't. I actually LIKE musk now. That stock. LOL crazy topsy turvy world we live in.

Still no decent affordable e-bikes though.

Maybe a TESLA bike!?!
    voltsxamps likes this.
  14. Mykola

Mykola Stoked

Oddometer:
    I’m pretty sure I’ve read someone quoting him as unambiguously anti-motorcycles. He’s more into hyping fully autonomous transportation, so that tracks.
  15. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just want a tesla truck with a minigun on it that launches dirtbikes that shoot rockets. If anyone can do that Musk can!