Electric output on LC4?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Airhead, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    Some comparison pics of the stock LC4 and Electrosport ESG950 stators:
    (Obviously the cover doesn't come with the stator, I just happen to have 2 covers so used them both mounted for comparison.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    Now that it's been 6 months since the last update, how's it been holding out? Anything new?
  3. KayaKTM

KayaKTM Day trippin'

Oddometer:
    ok what the hell happened to the pics from this post/thread???? i've ordered all the parts but now the pics on the how to are gone! they were up last week when my mechanic and i looked at it.

help anyone!??!

also does anyone know what the regulator listed in this upgrade is for? we can't find what model bike it's for? we've located the stator through Ricky Stator but can't ID the regulator.

TIA for any help here.

ps i'll be happy to post my success with this if i can just find the info i need to do it.

4. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Right click on the big red X then cut and paste into your browser.

Dirty
  5. Earthscape

Oddometer:
    I need to stop by here more often. I'm here now, so here's an update.

Since the replacement regulator went in, everything has worked fine. I have put several hundred miles on it since then. I know, not nearly enough, but I have to split my riding time between several bikes. :D
    I think the original ESR100 failure was indeed a fluke - manufacturing defect.
    Now that I have someone to ride with who has a similar bike (brother bought a KLR650 :clap ), I'll be riding the 640 more often.

I know it's hard to quantify how many miles you need to feel that a system of parts is reliable, but at this point I really do think the first ESR100 failure was just a manufacturing defect. I'll update if anything breaks, but until then each individual will have to decide whether they think the experience I have so far is enough for them to feel confident in the upgrade. I'd like to hear if anyone else has tried this, and how it's worked out for them so far.

Go forth to burn bright holes in the night, and keepeth thou torso and hands warm!
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Hey E,

Well I too am a beta tester for novel equipment on an LC4, although its not anywhere near as complex a piece of work as yours. It is a Odyssey battery, that because of its form factor did not fit into the LC4 well, so I had to do some modifications. Minor you ask? I have no idea, because I am no systems engineer, but I did change the system.

So I worry, but for the past few K it has been OK to my knowledge - meaning I have no idea if my modifications are having some non-catastrophic impact on related components. etc. etc. etc. :dunno I am hoping to get through the battery's life so I can see how long this highly regarded battery fares, but I will never have the knowledge or will to test everything on the bike that probably would be tested by an engineering group to ensure the changes were not detrimental to the system.

My statement felt like it came outa my ass, but I hope it helps.
  7. KayaKTM

KayaKTM Day trippin'

Oddometer:
    well i've done the upgrade with the help of Earthscape and my mechanic. as you may (or may not remember) i had my old model 4 piece flywheel go destroying my stator/flywheel assembly. since i was already going to be out $300 for parts i decided to do the upgrade b/c it was only gonna cost $600 parts and labor (my brother works for Motosport outlet in OR so he got me the parts).

i only have about 100 miles on the bike so far but things seem to be working fine. no hickups or glitches in the process so far either. the headlight is at full bright at idle and you can't even tell if the bike is revving or not it's so bright.

the regulator ESR100 from Electrosport said "Univeral Suzuki" on it but i'm still not sure what model it was for. i got the stator from ricky stator and it was for a Raptor 660 i believe model years 2001-2006 but i wouldn't swear to that.

all in all it seems an easy upgrade and worth the $$$ for anyone that wants to run heated grips and headlights. i'll report more after i've got another 1K-2K miles on it.
    KayaKTM

8. jamesdemien

jamesdemien Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this 300 watt one the same size... look at the 660 Grizzly

I want to run my aerostich jacket...
  9. mikeprod92211

mikeprod92211 Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Airhead, I also have a 2000 LC4E and the stock light sucked.
    I bought from the KTM dealer a 2007 headlight for the 525 street legal, fluted lens.
    It throws a much better light pattern with sharper cut off. I also installed a wiring harness with relays going from the battery to the headlight. Got it from easternbeaver.com. Very reasonable prie, fit the relays behind the headlight.
    Result: much better light dispersion, brighter light, and on high beam, I am not afraid to run at 60 - 70 mph.
    For about 110 bucks, got a good return on my money.
    Next may be a PIAA 110 watt bulb, that uses only 55 or 60 wats, but light output is equal to the 110 watt bulb.
  10. KayaKTM

KayaKTM Day trippin'

Oddometer:
    from looking at the part #'s it isn't the same stator. i have no idea if it is the same size physically or not having never seen one (site pic didn't come up for me).

i will say the stator/rectifier setup i have will run your stich vest, along with some heated grips AND an extra set of lights without much problem. beyond that i'm not sure but i'm willing to wager the price of the heated grips on it :evil

hope this helps,
    KayaKTM

11. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Kayak- I'm still curious about the stator upgrade on your LC4 now that you've got some history with the upgrade.

Any issues other than the first bum rectifier from Electrosport? Is this upgrade still a double thumbs up in your eyes?

Dirty
  12. KayaKTM

KayaKTM Day trippin'

Oddometer:
    yes i think a good upgrade and worth the $$$.

of course if you want an LC4 that already has the upgrade done, you can find one here :deal

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284610

my LC4 for sale in flea market!

13. solfish

solfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried one of these kits from Baja Designs. It's not street legal, but I bet you can make it work if you aim them like a high/low beam.
    I think it would look killer.
  14. Earthscape

Oddometer:
    I have an update on these electrical upgrades. I know others have bought and sold their 640 Adventures just in the time that I have been testing this upgrade, but I'm into my 640 for the long haul. Wow, it'll be 10 years next June! Anyway, just recently, my second ESR100 regulator has quit. That's bad news. But I think it means that the ESG950 stator is putting out some really serious juice. I don't know either way whether the ESR100 really can't handle the output, or the ones I got had some quality control problems. The tech at Electrosport seemed very sure that it could handle the output. There is good news though. I have spoken with Electrosport again, and they took the time to explain that they have very recently redesigned their line of regulator/rectifiers with loads of improvements. The bad news (for me) is that they won't have the new ESR100 model for a few months, which means I'll miss out riding my 640 during the best time of year. I may look around for a different regulator/rectifier in the meantime, but I'm not sure I'll find anything, and I already know the stock unit does not come close to handling it.
    Once you have a taste of the output of the ESG950 stator, it's completely addicting, and nearly impossible to settle for stock output again. I still have a suspicion that the ESG950 with the LC4 flywheel puts out more than in other applications.

On a related note, if anyone knows where I can get H1 headlight bulbs in the 70 to 80 watt range, that are CLEAR, no tint, no coating, no fancy garbage, please let me know. My previous source is discontinued, and I can't find them anywhere, only variously color tinted ones (I've tried some of the colored ones and I couldn't see a thing at night). I've found 100 watt clear, but I think that might overload the headlight wiring, and the 70 watt bulbs really worked well at night. I still have one 70 watt bulb, the other was burned out when the first regulator quit.

I'll post more updates as things move along with a new regulator/rectifier, though that could be a little while. Oh yes, and I know the pictures in my original post are gone - the site where they were hosted has closed. I have dial-up only right now but DSL is coming shortly. As soon as I have a better connection I'll try to fix all the pictures.
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Osram makes very nice bulbs. I have a pair of their Night Breaker H1s. They are only 55w, like the stock bulbs, but they put out alot more light. How? By burning brighter with the same wattage they die quicker - they don't last as long. Its a tradeoff... but I am trying them out when I start installing my headlight wiring upgrades.

I bought mine off eBay sellers; here are two with good feedback ratings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/US-D...012QQitemZ220275139982QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OSRA...004QQitemZ140263316735QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I have alot more info on bulbs if you are interested... good luck with the new Electrosport stuff.
  16. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    The BMW F650GS has a 400w stator on some of the years. You might try one of those regulators. They're a bit more expensive, but will likely be much more reliable.

As far as the headlights, the stock wiring only provides 10.5 volts to the bulb, so installing thicker wires and a relay from the battery will get a lot more light out of a regular bulb.
  17. Earthscape

Oddometer:
    Hey Meat, yeah, any info you have on bulbs that you can give me would be great. Those bulbs that you have, are they marked / stamped "12v 55 watt", or was that only on the package? I see most of the ones in the eBay shops are also colored. As far as I know, coloring the light is done by actually removing part of the light spectrum - filtering out some of the light wavelengths before they leave the bulb, so that means less light is output, and all the wavelengths that are removed are not available to reflect off of objects in your path. That seems to agree with my experience with colored bulbs. Anyway, thanks for any info you can give me.
  18. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Osram is a top shelf bulb mfg. Yes they are marked 12V 55W on the packaging, and I fully expect them to be exactly that... they are Made in Germany.

More information than you could ever want here:
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/tech.html

A more user-friendly wiring upgrade supplier:
    http://www.easternbeaver.com/

And a bit on bulbs here:
    http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=9126&posts=4&mid=92165
  19. Earthscape

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I see that Electrosport has a model ESR710 that is for 97 to 01 F650s. But, I'm not sure what output those years had. Do you have or know where to find any info about the physical characteristics of the BMW regulator? I did a quick search and didn't come up with much yet. I was also looking at the KTM950 regulator. The 950 has a 450 watt output, but the regulator is a bit bigger. If I can find a way to modify the LC4 mounting plate, I'd have a bigger selection of regulators to choose from, probably including the BMW and KTM950 units. Thanks for the info!
  20. Earthscape

Oddometer:
    Excellent bulb info Meat - seems to fit exactly with my experiences. I found these and may try them - true 65 watt clear bulbs:
    http://www.bestrestproducts.com/celestia/order/orderform/?recno=66