Electric output on LC4?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Airhead, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    ??

7 years of 70 watt headlight bulbs, heated grips, heated vest and heated insoles on the ESG950 stator (that's an Electrosport stator). Only problem was the regulator/rectifier which could not handle the stator output, and hence, the 950 regulator/rectifier. If you're referring to the LC4 specific stator they came out with later, yes, I haven't seen much feedback on that either.

I don't want to steer anyone wrong by giving numbers that I don't quite remember, but I did put a volt meter on my system running various electrical loads such as the grips, vest, etc. I remember being quite satisfied that the ESG950 put out more power than I could possibly ever need, and at a nice, low RPM.

Having said that, it crossed my mind that if the LC4 specific stator does not require you to replace the regulator/rectifier, then it is not nearly as powerful as the ESG950. Not only could the stock regulator/rectifier not handle the ESG950, but it melted the Electrosport regulator/rectifier that they recommended I use to handle the increase in power. So, in the LC4, the ESG950 puts out some serious current.

But, plug and play is very nice, and if it's enough to handle the accessories, then that's a much more simple way to go, it's reversible, and cleaner. I only wish they made plug-in high-output stators for even more bikes.
  2. DaddyBigDaddy

DaddyBigDaddy AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer:
    Liberal ShitHole, San Fran-sissyco, Kalee-Fornee-a
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Inmate Fastlane 1 installed a LC 4 specific Electrosport Stator last Summer with the stock rectifier... The first thing we noted was the the rectifier did run quite warm... When he scoped it with a heat sensor we noted while it was within the temp spectrum it was running close to the max allowable recommended temp... He has had no problems with it so far...
  4. programradio

programradio Master of None

Oddometer:
    completed the install of the new-ish electrosport LC4 specific stator this weekend. the item i received came with a wire guide bracket that wouldn't allow the stator to seat correctly on the engine cover. contacted the company and they instructed me to remove the bracket entirely. did so, and contact with the flywheel doesn't seem to be an issue (had to take the cover off to replace the leaking gasket and checked after running the bike around the park and back).

i actually upgraded the regulator/rectifier before the stator upgrade on my quest to sort out my electrical gremlins. low voltage was leading to weak starts, which was reeking havoc on my sprage clutch. i got a SHINDENGEN FH020AA from Motoelectrix. it is a super tight fit on top of the battery and i had to fashion a bracket of sorts to hold everything together in the stock location. it is a really tight fit in there and I think the seat might be making a little contact with the R/R. not sure how much it matters.

performance wise, I saw a noticeable increase in voltage. i believe I was getting 14.3v at idle. I do have my headlights wired to run together when the highbeams are on. the draw on the system with the headlights on is noticeable. adding the heated grip also chip away at the voltage. I'm hoping that at speed the increased amperage will make up for the additional draw so i'll always have a topped off battery. didn't have a chance to do much testing yesterday due to bay to breakers in my neighborhood. will be interesting to see how things go in the next week or so.
  5. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    What was the outcome of this?

I to am suffering electrical gremlins and considering the larger output stator.

Anyone else do it? wrk2surf?

:ear
  6. programradio

programradio Master of None

Oddometer:
    as an update - so far so good here. I did end up cutting some plastic out of my seat pan to make a little extra space for the RR fins. Didn't want my big ass crushing it any more than necessary.

As far as the stator, no issues. seems to be doing exactly what it supposed to. i haven't had any problems, so i haven't done much in the way of testing.

I did track down what may have been one of my electrical issues. The connections running into the base of the ignition key unit were coming a little loose an fraying a bit. When I'd turn the handle bars with the key turned off, the wires would make some contact and light up the dash. Found a thread somewhere on here that detailed the problem and the fix. Patched it up. No idea if it was really causing any battery draw, but it was good to get it taken care of, nonetheless. it would have broken eventually. anyway, i only mention it as one of the bazillion different electrical problems you might be chasing. :) good luck!
  7. Helfel

Helfel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it fits best in here (even the thread is quite old):

Does someone know if the bike can be started without battery, when the ESG950 stator is installed?
    As i understood, this one has no dedicated Ignition coil in contrast to the original one and the ESG148? Can you start it anyway?

The reason why i considere the ESG950 instead the ESG148 is, because it seems to have more power than the ESG148.
    I plan to run the Shindengen FH020AA regulator with it (30 A cont. 50 A peak) and new wireing with relays for headlight and the rest.

Regards
  8. hajoktejnSI

hajoktejnSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you plan on running it without battery or ... ?
    Because you can start an LC4 with dead battery, my adventure has a connector that disconnects all electrical consumers off; I wired it on a smiple on/off switch and now don't have ro worry about battery being weak or dead.
  9. Helfel

Helfel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will run it with a battery, but I want to make shure, just in case, when i am on a trip and something fails that I can run the bike nevertheless.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
  10. Earthscape

Oddometer:
    I'm curious to know where you heard that. As far as I know, any stator in the 640 will be 3 phase, have exactly 3 wires coming from the stator itself (one for each phase obviously), and all 3 will go directly to the regulator/rectifier. I can't picture any 'dedicated ignition coil' coming from the stator that is part of the actual stator. (There are stators that do have dedicated ignition coils, but the OEM 640 isn't one of them.) The ESG950 and the OEM stator are wired the same. What you do with those 3 wires from there is up to you, assuming you ignore any connectors or harness that comes with the stator. You do need to have the correct phase wire in the correct position in order for the bike to run.
    Are you able to start your 640 with no battery? I've never tried...
  11. flashover604

flashover604 tailgunner

Oddometer:
    Bringing back an old thread. I picked up an Electrosport ESG148 stator a couple years ago but haven't gotten around to installing it. I'm about ready to install a second fan on my 03 640A and figured I'd install the new stator. Electrosport recommends an ESR250 R/R to replace the stocker. They said that the stator side plug matches the stator but the battery side will need to be fabricated since its got a different plug.

I saw above that an ESR950 was used. Anyone have a recommendation for which one works best?

Thanks!
  12. Earthscape

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean by 'ESR950'. There were 2 different Electrosport stators that fit the KTM 640. The ESG950, and the ESG148 that you mentioned you have. The ESG148 being plug-and-play, and the more powerful ESG950 needing to have a connection made. Sounds like Electrosport recommended their ESR250 Regulator/Rectifier to handle the increased output of the ESG148 stator. I had only tried their ESR100 (they recommended at the time), which could not handle the output of the ESG950, so I ended up using a stock KTM 950 Adventure Regulator/Rectfier. Perhaps that's where the other '950' is coming from?
  13. flashover604

flashover604 tailgunner

Oddometer:
    Earthscape, thanks for the reply. I see my mistake now. (Too many ESGs and EGRs apparently for me!) I'll pick up the ESR250 they recommended and try it. Maybe it'll clear up my "Something is draining my battery" problem as well. Thanks!