Electrical bike, nuggets style...

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by nuggets, Oct 9, 2017.

1. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    IMG_20181011_185751.jpg

I got the side panel trimmed down enough to fit around the derailleur, chain, and sprockets. After that I cleaned up around the shop.

We had tropical storm Michael pass through overnight. No damage, but we lost power and the kids got off school.
  2. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    Are you OK? I understand how even a near miss can cause problems. Best wishes to you and your family .

Les
    nuggets likes this.
  3. nuggets

Oddometer:
    All good here. Got a couple holes to patch in my garage roof and will need to buy a new windshield for my car.

Anyone know about patching a rubber roof?
    IMG_20181012_140322.jpg

Once I figure out how to patch it, I'll go buy what I need and get it repaired.
  4. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Bicycle tube repair kit.:D
  5. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad it's all good nuggets.
    Guess it depends on what kind of rubber it is. If it's EDPM you should be able to get patch stuff at an RV place.
    nuggets likes this.
  6. nuggets

Oddometer:
    Hey! It's great to see you hanging out over here. I'm a big fan of your builds.

I guess it should be EPDM. I found some tutorials on how to fix it. We do have a big RV place nearby. I'll have to go see what I can get.

Got some progress on the bike after cleaning up the yard.

Each one of these little blocks got quite a bit of finishing. Sanded, chamfered edges, countersinking.
    [​IMG]

Prototyping for me always means taking apart and putting together a lot of times. Here's the first of the blocks mounted.
    [​IMG]
    Knipex pliers are the best.

Working on mounting the next block here, and also trying to keep my workspace organized as I go.
    [​IMG]

Now, I've got all the hard points mounted, and the battery set back in to check for clearance.
    [​IMG]

More to come...
    Fast Idle likes this.
  7. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you missed the big bullet as luckily Buck and I did here. Most interesting project which we are watching closely. Not that Buck has any interest in an electric bike but me I like most any project. Him if he can't go he is just not interested. :shog

Btw still loving that big chunk of aluminum.

Jack and Buck
  8. nuggets

Oddometer:
    Hey! Any progress on the XS650 front? And what aluminum hunk are you talking about?
  9. Jim Day

Jim Day full manic mechanic

Oddometer:
    I like that 3000W cyclone. Built a bike with it as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Highliner, nuggets and Helibee like this.
  10. nuggets

Oddometer:
    I have seen that build. It's awesome. Didn't you have a thread here?
  11. Jim Day

Jim Day full manic mechanic

Oddometer:
    Yeah it's I think in Shiny Things. This seems a better board for it. I'm about to re-gear that bike and set it up for remote bike camping with racks etc.. Maybe when i do that I'll re-post the whole build here. I have not had time to read this whole thread, but i like what i have seen so far :beer
    nuggets likes this.
  12. nuggets

Oddometer:
    This post is all about holes, and getting them in the right spot.

I set up to make my mark.
    [​IMG]

This works ok, note the bolt down by the chain ring. Now the panel is mounted, and I can mark the rest of the holes.
    [​IMG]

Once I make my marks, I start by drilling small holes, and remount the panel so I can double check the hole locations.

This hole looks to be in the right spot.
    [​IMG]

Now the panel is all drilled and mounts up. I got lucky and all the holes line up. No fighting to get the bolts in.
    [​IMG]

Then I traced around the inside for the initial cuts. More than half of this panel will get cut away.
    [​IMG]

I was thinking that the main way I can tell that my fab skills are improving is that I can make holes where I want them. It used to be that every time I would drill a hole, it would be a little off from where I wanted it. That was always very frustrating. So to get all the holes in the right spot the first time in this panel, that feels like a win. :clap
  13. redfishguide

Oddometer:

Busy time of year for me.....trying to make some money to finance multiple projects. Been working SLOWLY to replace the XS tug with a Sportster. Buck said we need a little more power and torque so we can chase down the squirrels.

Once I finish the sidecar rig then its on to a couple of XS projects including yours.

That aluminum table kinda thing with all the threaded holes has become the star of my work bench. I have it clamped to my bench and can adjust it to any where on the bench for welding and what not. Has really proven handy. Thanks again.

Jack and Buck
    nuggets likes this.
  14. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    WRT the roof. Shoe-Goo in the holes then one of the permanent tapes over the top after cleaning the area. If there are bits sticking up just trim them before putting the tape on.

You can spend a lot more and probably won't get a better result.
    nuggets likes this.
  15. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool, transfer punches! Another cool sheet metal tool is the hole finder. I remember a friend telling me about them and I'm like "this guy is pulling my leg". A hole finder, really?
    Like the carpenter telling the new guy to go to the truck and get the board stretcher or the aviation guys sending the apprentice to the parts store for a gallon of prop wash. :photog
    Much to my surprise he was on the level. Can't do without either now. Simple but effective tools for getting it right.
    Keep up the good work!
    DSC00064.JPG
    JagLite and nuggets like this.
  16. nuggets

Oddometer:
    Man, I'm still looking for a hundred yards of flight line...

Got a new guy on a roofing crew to dig in the van for a good while once in search of some blue sky hooks...
    Fast Idle and JimVonBaden like this.
  17. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    .... with a ground loop on the end of it...
    invisa-bill and nuggets like this.
  18. nuggets

Oddometer:
    I was gone for a while, and it's taking a bit to get back on track.

Alright, I'm not on track at all.

I did do some quality tool whoring... I made a really good score. I've been saving my pennies, and watching the list of craig.

I hit the jackpot this weekend.

I got this:
    [​IMG]

It's branded as Power-Kraft Lathe by Montgomery Wards. I remember their catalogs from when I was a little kid.
    It's actually a rebranded Logan lathe, 10x24, with quick change gear box, power cross feed, and came with a lot of tooling. I still haven't gone through all of the tooling. I'm not a machinist, but as far as I can tell this is a well kept machine with a lot of life left in it. I believe it was made in 1946.

I had to break it down for transport.
    [​IMG]

I mentioned that I was looking for a bandsaw when I made the lathe deal, and the same guy sold me this saw the next day:
    [​IMG]
    It's a vintage Delta 14 inch wood/metal saw, and heavily constructed.

Note the additional pulleys. The two small pulleys can be connected by a belt, and drive the saw through a gear box at low speed for metal work.
    [​IMG]
    I don't know much more about the band saw. I jumped on it when it was offered. Delta doesn't make a saw like this anymore.
    JagLite, Foxed101, FR700 and 5 others like this.
  19. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Nice!!!!! Buck says :raabia:raabia Interesting timing.....I just bought a Smithy CB 1220XL LTD. Now if I can only figure out how to get it home and where the fXXX its going to fit. Somehow it seems I have an extra motorcycle in the surgery center. :dunno:confused :scratch

Oh yeah I sure as hell ain't no machinist. :shog

Jack and Buck
    Foxed101 and nuggets like this.
  20. nuggets

Oddometer:
    Nice, post up a pic of the Smithy. :thumb

Engine hoist to load it? Partial disassembly?