Electrical strangeness - please help

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by seh750, Nov 4, 2004.

1. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to doing a test...temporarily wired the Heat Troller through a BMW plug I have for a heated vest that goes straight to the battery. Works perfectly, bike running or not. So now I'll do some more permanent wiring with a relay off the originally accessory lead and power the Heat Troller straight from the battery.
  2. Dave Funk

Dave Funk talent scout

Oddometer:
    I ordered the set from KTM and had to buy a relay at the auto parts store. I used the switched acc. outlet to run the power off the battery. To solve the problem of left grip not getting as hot as the right, I used a throttle tube pop riveted to the handle bar and stuck the element to that. Then I used a throttle side grip on it. It does two things: first it insulates the element from the cold handle bar that acts as a heat sink to draw away heat and second the rubber of the throttle side grip is thinner and heats up quicker. Smart huh?
  3. Chipper

Chipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you look at heat troller site it gives directions for dual star grips. Don't think you use the blue wires but they should be taped off and not together. Whites together and reds to the purple on heat troller. www.warmnsafe.com/heattroller
  4. FarmerRick

FarmerRick Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2006 SE with 20000 miles has always (randomly) suffered from misfiring with resulting stall. The power to the ligths and the speedometer stays on and I believe the problem is the ignition. It is not spark plugs and probably not the rear coil. I believe it is random malfunction of one electrical component but the problem is not clearly related to temperature. It's just luck or bad luck depending on whatever.

Any ideas?

Do I need to buy an oscilloscope?
  6. KrustyKustom

KrustyKustom Lets Go....

Oddometer:
    I have a 07 990S, so I do not have any ABS. I took the lead from the ABS fuse in the fusebox and used it for my grips. This gave me 10amps, factory fuse location and works great.

I used the symtec grips from California Sport touring.
  7. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    Heres how I have wired them in the past..

[​IMG]
  8. zracer

zracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am having a similar but worse problem. Please someone help me!!
    My bike is an 06 950 ADV with 15,000 mi. It started out randomly 'missing' but so randomly at first I could not tell if it was lack of fuel or spark ( already have the Facet fuel pump). It might go fifty miles at the beginning of the ride problem free then it would hickup once, fine for 5-10 miles then another hickup or two. Few rides later it got much worse 50 miles in. It started cutting out on both cylinders and I noticed that the tach went to zero even though the engine was still decelerating and digital speed was still displayed. It sometimes will start firing again with a big pop out the exhaust but it has died on me all together. Sometimes when it dies all together the start button has no function. I press it 3-10 times then it eventually cranks and starts maybe to die again in 10 seconds or a couple minutes. I took apart the start/kill switch and cleaned all contacts but had no effect. I swapped CDI boxes with my buddies same bike and same problem. I checked all connections at battery and starter relay and even swapped the ignition fuse knowing I was reaching out in left field.
    Could this be a key switch problem even though the digital display does not go out?? Crank sensor would not make start button not work. I double checked my side stand wires and they are still soldered together from when I relocated the stand. He who finds my problem I will call the 950 GURU and gladly buy him a beer.
  9. trailtrick

trailtrick goat trail rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Beer Tim :lol3
  10. zracer

zracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Javier at Trailtricks got it!! He reccomended taking the key ignition switch apart and cleaning the contacts. I have put about 10-15 miles on it so far and it has not skipped a beat. Headed out to do 50-75 miles right now.
  11. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    Could someone please direct me/ post a link to a tutorial for resetting the immobilizer on a 2012 990?

I had an issue with the instrument cluster acting wonky, took it apart, put it back together, reinstalled it, and now the bike won't turn over. Ran fine previously.

Thanks in advance.