Electrical Systems restarts while riding

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by wasikengwee, Feb 7, 2020.

1. wasikengwee

wasikengwee n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm riding a 2013 F800GS with about 56k (km) mileage.

Recently I just sent it into the shop to replace the ignition switch as the bike is unable to turn off via the key (I've to unplug the battery).

However even before this issue when I'm riding or cruising at high rpm (5-5.5k) my on-board electronics (voltmeter & TPMS) will restart on it's own (without killing the engine), occasionally the dashboard will go blank as well and starts itself again (maybe about 5-10% of the time).

Initially I thought it was the faulty ignition switch that is causing the restart but my problem haven't resolve after I replaced the switch. Mechanic tighten all my connection to the battery so that shouldn't be the case.

About 3 months back I've replaced my charging systems (Alternator & R/R) from Electrosports.
    -ESG831 Stator BMW F800
    -ESR711 Regulator/Rectifier BMW F650

Anyone knows or faced this issue and gotten it resolve?
  2. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A failing battery can cause all kinds of strange electrical problems.

I would look into the battery.
  3. wasikengwee

wasikengwee n00b

Oddometer:
    I had 2 battery on hand, 1 brand new (changed about 6 months ago) and another one slightly old at about 60% capacity (12.4~12.5V fully charged).

Swapped both batteries around same results.

Mechanic suspect the voltage output by R/R is too high hence shutting off the electronics, my headlight bulb burnt out twice within 3 months.

Anyone had issue with electrosports R/R?
  4. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Your mechanic should be able to test the voltage output without "Suspecting" or guessing. I had and issue with my 2013 with the headlamp as well and it turned out to be a loose connection where the main harness plugged in to the headlamp housing. I would look at connections between the gauge and main harness.
  5. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    Also I had dash go blank On a battery that voltage tested good but load tested bad. But you could have a wiring issue. I would start checking near headlight as mentioned