'Electronic' Cruise Control for BMW R1200GS?

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by mcsetup, Feb 1, 2007.

1. pfabrice

pfabrice The Fabulous Frog

Oddometer:
    :clap
    I would be interested too. Would it work on the 1200GS Adventure with ABS?
  2. rluczak

rluczak Bemused

Oddometer:
    I'm in . . .
  3. FLYBOY 350

FLYBOY 350 flyboy 350

Oddometer:
    So IN I may never get out!!
  4. Dan Plastina

Dan Plastina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in too. #1 missing feature. I've often toyed with grabbing parts from the BMW RT system
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like there's plenty of interest and this hasn't even been announced in GSpot, the main GS hangout.

Give us an approximate price point, estimated time of when this will be ready and detailed installation with pics and I'm sure you'll get more interest, especially if you give us a group buy discount!
  6. dronning

dronning TNT -The Naked Truth

Oddometer:
    Yes this would save me big money!!

How??, Well if BMW ever came out with it as an option, I'd have to trade my current GS Adv in because this is the only option currently missing on this almost perfect bike.

Dave
  7. Kumazuma

Kumazuma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd be in on that too. I installed a centec panel if it's possible to run it through that it would be great. As long as I don't have to take the whole bike apart to install it. I wanna ride it not re-wire it:D
  8. Motor-110

Motor-110 ...respect my Authoritah!

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't have to take the whole bike apart to re-wire it, just run the wires outside the panels :rofl . No one would notice, I'm sure. :D
  9. mcsetup

mcsetup n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Rick wrote to me in Australia with the following today:<o:p></o:p>
    I'm a moderator on the advrider.com site and also a 12GS owner. There's been a very good response to your question and there will be a lot more interested once you give us more details on installation and cost. <o:p></o:p>
    I'd be willing to organize a "group buy" effort if you're able to give us a definite shipping time and a discounted price.<o:p></o:p>
    ANSWER(s):<o:p></o:p>
    Based on this response, we hope to bring the product to market in mid-late March. I believe the kit will be a bit more than the current R1150GS price which is around $650USD delivered. That is for a one-off kit. We need to make some new special parts, so the R1200GS could be as much as $20USD more than that. Installation should take around 5 hours.<o:p></o:p>
    We will be able to do better than this on a group buy price, but to be fair to our dealers the best we can do will be a 5% discount and we are happy to do that. The price is fixed in AUD and the exchange rate has been dropping over the last couple of weeks - so your members may pick up a bit more saving if the US dollar strengthens over the next 4-6 weeks.<o:p></o:p>
    Finally, a reasonable cost saving can also be generated by savings in freight if a number of units are purchased at once - HOWEVER we need to make enquiries about entry fees for high value goods in the USA. We are not certain whether this fee is value dependant of just a flat rate cost. We also do not know how much it is because we tend to ship goods routinely with a lesser value than $2000USD - the high value cut-off for entry fees to apply.<o:p></o:p>
    Second batch of Questions:<o:p></o:p>
    Our other concern is the complexity of the installation and whether or not we will need to cut into the bike's wiring harness. Most of us are loathe to cut into the "single wire" system. It would be ideal if you used the quick couplings similar to the ones that are present on the bike. Maybe once your development is complete, you could post a PDF installation with detailed pictures. <o:p></o:p>
    It's often been said that an electronic cruise control is the only thing the GS model range lacks. Thanks for making this available and I hope to be ordering one too. <o:p></o:p>
    Cheers and hoping to hear some good news soon!<o:p></o:p>
    ANSWERS:<o:p></o:p>
    We have no choice but to tap into a wire on the accessory plug to get power. Similarly we have to tap a wire to the coils for tach signal. We provide good connectors for this, but the connectors BMW use are unavailable to us, so the wire has to be cut and a tail crimped on in the join with a Sumitomo waterproof connector on each of the power and tach wires. Heat shrink is provided to cover the crimp connection. The brake connection takes place at the tail light so that is a non-destructive connection.<o:p></o:p>
    No other connections are required and the throttle cable connection is going to be such that the cruise could be taken off again and you would never know it had been there. The cruise switch will be on the LHS mirror stalk.<o:p></o:p>
    The CANbus system is a pain whenever you want to put most accessories on, but our system is invisible to the CANbus.<o:p></o:p>
    Best regards,<o:p></o:p>
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName>Tony Guymer</st1:personName><o:p></o:p>
    Director<o:p></o:p>
    MotorCycle Cruise Controls Pty. Ltd<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:Street><st1:address>6 Kingston Street</st1:address></st1:Street><o:p></o:p>
    <st1:place><st1:City>Mount Waverley</st1:City>, <st1:State>Victoria</st1:State></st1:place>, 3149 <st1:country-region><st1:place>AUSTRALIA</st1:place></st1:country-region><o:p></o:p>
    Ph. +61 3 9808 2804 Fax. + 61 3 9808 2445<o:p></o:p>
    email: mcsetup@bigpond.net.au<o:p></o:p>
    Web Sites: http://www.motorcycle-cruise-control.com http://www.atv-accessory-parts.com & http://www.mccruise.com <o:p></o:p>
  10. GB

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tony for the quick replies :thumb... it doesn't sound overly complicated. It's best to merge this thread with your original thread and keep it all going in one thread.

We'll look forward to your PDF installation pictorial and final pricing.

:lurk
  11. mcsetup

mcsetup n00b

Oddometer:
    We hope to bring the product to market in mid-late March. I believe the kit will be a bit more than the current R1150GS price which is around $650USD delivered. That is for a one-off kit. We need to make some new special parts, so the R1200GS could be as much as $20USD more than that. Installation should take around 5 hours.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    We will be able to do better than this on a group buy price, but to be fair to our dealers the best we can do will be a 5% discount and we are happy to do that. The price is fixed in AUD and the exchange rate has been dropping over the last couple of weeks - so your members may pick up a bit more saving if the US dollar strengthens over the next 4-6 weeks.<o:p></o:p>
    Finally, a reasonable cost saving can also be generated by savings in freight if a number of units are purchased at once - HOWEVER we need to make enquiries about entry fees for high value goods in the USA. We are not certain whether this fee is value dependant of just a flat rate cost. We also do not know how much it is because we tend to ship goods routinely with a lesser value than $2000USD - the high value cut-off for entry fees to apply.<o:p></o:p>
    We have no choice but to tap into a wire on the accessory plug to get power. Similarly we have to tap a wire to the coils for tach signal. We provide good connectors for this, but the connectors BMW use are unavailable to us, so the wire has to be cut and a tail crimped on in the join with a Sumitomo waterproof connector on each of the power and tach wires. Heat shrink is provided to cover the crimp connection. The brake connection takes place at the tail light so that is a non-destructive connection.<o:p></o:p>
    No other connections are required and the throttle cable connection is going to be such that the cruise could be taken off again and you would never know it had been there. The cruise switch will be on the LHS mirror stalk.<o:p></o:p>
    The CANbus system is a pain whenever you want to put most accessories on, but our system is invisible to the CANbus.<o:p></o:p>
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName>Tony Guymer</st1:personName><o:p></o:p>
    <st1:Street><st1:address>6 Kingston Street</st1:address></st1:Street><o:p></o:p>
    <st1:place><st1:City>Mount Waverley</st1:City>, <st1:State>Victoria</st1:State></st1:place>, 3149 <st1:country-region><st1:place>AUSTRALIA</st1:place></st1:country-region><o:p></o:p>
    Web Sites: http://www.motorcycle-cruise-control.com http://www.atv-accessory-parts.com & http://www.mccruise.com <o:p></o:p>
  12. mangos0350

mangos0350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i'm in. i'm new to the site and already i'm finding everything i want for my bike. wish i'd find the funds as easily
  13. jsdc2005

jsdc2005 99%er

Oddometer:
    Definitely interested. I don't care about installation. I'd just have JimVonBaden install mine :lol3. Just kidding.
  14. autogiro

autogiro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But only if you can design a nice OEM looking control head. Not just one that fits on the end of a cage turn signal stalk. I'm used to my KRS CC.
    Went to the website and saw the control head. looks ok but would add an LED indicator to show the CC engaged.
    Thanks for listening,
    Auto
  15. GB

Oddometer:
    Auto,
    Check out the link on his site. The controller is going to be the same as the ones you see there.. Getting one built into the switch gear BMW style would be nice, but it would cost a fortune...

I'll be happy to have real electronic cruise control... :thumb
  16. autogiro

autogiro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spoke too soon. It looks ok (see edit above)
    Should have been a factory option.
    Auto
  17. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    I put an MCcruise on my CBR1100XX before I sold it, and I gotta say it's one primo piece of kit. Had to take half the damn bike apart, but truly plug-n-play. For the amount of headaches it saves over adapting a car unit, it's worth the price. :thumb
  18. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I may hafta sell a bicycle, but not having cruise sux. My 04 RT don't have one and the T-meister is a hoopty workaround comparatively.

I'm off to the dealership Sat AM to see about an 07 GS... :deal

M
  19. mikshaf

mikshaf n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in for sure.. lack of cruise was the only thing i dont like about the gsa
  20. mcsetup

mcsetup n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Just a quick update on progress here and info on installation requirements. <o:p></o:p>
    We are getting brackets cut at the moment but are a bit concerned about the actuator bracket design and whether it will fit at the first attempt! It basically had to be designed in mid air - virtually no reference points are available - but I have faith so hopefully it will fit. Frank has had a lot of practice at this. The rest of the installation seems straightforward with one exception.<o:p></o:p>
    In order to make the cruise control safe according to our very high standards with all the hi-tech CAMbus, power brakes etc, we have decided on a policy of taking power from the accessory socket (we use very little and don't interfere with your other accessories) and providing hydraulic switching on both brake and clutch detection for the cruise control instead of trying to tap off BMW's wiring. The reason for this is simple - trying to get to a tacho signal to simulate clutch engagement is basically impossible. You can't get to the coils, can't identify the wire used and can't get anything from the back of the tacho! We can't get into the clutch switch itself because BMW use all proprietary connectors, and while we can detect their brake signal without alarms being triggered, we cannot leave our customers or ourselves vulnerable to system failure on the bike itself causing our cruise to not shut down as it is supposed to.<o:p></o:p>
    What this means to you as a potential customer is that we will provide relatively low tech, extremely reliable solutions which will require insertion of hydraulic switches into both brake and clutch lines. They will not be very obvious, but installation may require a power bleeder. The same procedure will be required on our K1200S cruise models and is likely to become the 'norm' on all cruise controls we produce for BMW in the future.

All comments/feedback welcome. Your input now will help us give you what you want within the contraints of our policies on safety and what BMW give us to work with.....

Tony Guymer<o:p></o:p>
    6 Kingston Street<o:p></o:p>
    Mount Waverley, Victoria, 3149 AUSTRALIA<o:p></o:p>