Electronic Cruise Control installed! GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Mad Kaw, Dec 3, 2012.

1. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here a little bit more with PC, it's a real pain to write with touch screen phone.

My Trailtech 8500-RS switch had different colour wires than the picture I posted above. The wires of my Trailtech RS-8500 switch were: white, green, yellow and red. Though it was easy to test which is for which button. At my switch the red wire was input, the white was the output of the top button, green of middle button and the yellow of lowest button.

Also I soldered the TT red wire into red wire of Rostra switch harness for 12 V input, TT white to Rostra Yellow and TT yellow to Rostra green. The top (RES/ACCEL) and lowest (SET/COAST) buttons off TT switch are now working. I also soldered the TT green button to the Rostra brown, but as wrote above, the middle button won't work as a ON-button. Like Mr Canoehead wrote, there maybe should come constant 12 V+ into brown wire for ON. There must be a little relay in the Rostra switch, pressing ON gives constant 12 V+ to brown wire (and lights the green led of the switch) and pressing OFF stops the 12 V+ from brown wire and shuts down the green led. I didn't test rode yet, but ran the self diagnostics, pressing top or lowest button lights the red testing led of the Rostra CC just like pressing RES or SET buttons of Rostra. Will test ride tonight.

Two more questions:
    1) When now having the middle button of the Trailtech switch spare, it would be nice to have a Cancel-function for this button, saving many brakings... The light green wire of Rostra harness is soldered into the ground side of BMW clutch switch and so would be near. Also the cancel function would be possible with the clutch safety feature? My TT middle button, green wire, gives 12 V+ when pressed, but how to use this for Cancel-function with Rostra Clutch safety wire. I don't understand from the Mad Kaws first post how the clutch switch work. When I press clutch, does it give 12 V+ for the Rostra too, or does it give ground/stop giving ground? The first one would be easiest, then I could solder the TT green to Rostra light green, but should I use a diode between the soldering point and BMWs clutch switch? The two last options, clutch switch giving/stopping ground, would need a relay?

2) If I would like to eliminate the Rostra switch completely (of course would need the think replacing leds also) could I replace the Rostra On and Off -switches for example the Trailtech 040-HBS-03 ON/OFF rocker switch. Then the red wire of the TT on/off switch solderet to Rostra red wire and the TT black wire to Rostra brown wire. So the constant 12 V+ for the Rostra brown when the TT switch is ON.

Edit, test ride done, RES/ACCEl and SET/COAST working well from Tt switch. Huge improvement for ergonomics. Well worth of 18,50 £.
  2. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    1) The light green is the Neutral safety switch in the instructions which is (as you said) connected to ground. I'm not sure how it works, probably looks for a sudden voltage change but you definitely don't want to connect your hot switch directly to ground - you'd probably have to put a bulb or something in the circuit to limit the amperage. You also don't want to send a voltage spike down the clutch switch circuit.

You might be better to wire it to the brake switch wire, which has to see 12v to cancel. You would need a diode to prevent the switch from activating your brake lights when you press the button. All in all it might be easier to just tap the brake or clutch to disengage.

2) Yes, that should work. As I said before, a latching relay would also work off the center switch.
  3. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mr Canoehead. I'll tape all together now. I may do the cancel function to middle button with brake light wire, but being forced to move the fuel tank to make connections it will be next winter.
  4. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Done, works fine. SET/COAST on the lowest button, RES/ACCL on the top button. The Cancel function may wait to next winter. I think it will not work with a diode, since the CC must got ground from brake security wire for engaging. Also a relay must be added, just like with led brakelight. With a relay there is no risk that the brake light would activate when pressing the Cancel-button.

I fastened the Trailtech switcht under the mirror holder bolt, just like the Rostra switch was. I moved rostra switch between the handlebar holders, since it's only needed once per ride, for switching the power on.

[​IMG]
  5. BluByU

BluByU Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice and clean look MEK, well done.

Any chance of a wire diagram or how to make......
  6. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's how i wired.

[​IMG]

If you would like to eliminate the Rostra switch totally, you should also add a normal on-off switch between the red and brown wires of the Rostra switch, and if necessary, an engage led between the Rostra orange (12 V+ when engaged) and black (ground). I left the Rostra still, for on/off and leds.

The cancel function in the picture is just an idea and not connected or tested yet. As far as I understand, there may be a problem. Rostra must sense ground through brake security wire (violet) in order to engage. It senses ground throught brake light lamp. If brake light is Led, you must add a relay for that ground. So, with normal brake light it's possible to connect the middle button wire of TT switch to Rostra violet for cancel -function, but then the brake light will light every time you hit the middle (cancel) button. Lighting brake light could be avoided for adding a diode between the soldering point and brake light, but then Rostra may not sense ground, because of the diode, and therefore won't engage. And if your bike is with Led brakelight, you need a relay in between for ground (to allow engaging), and then, hitting the cancel button would shorcut the 12+ direct to ground via that relay. Should there be a led lamp between? I'm not good in electrics so it's almost trial and error...
  7. BluByU

BluByU Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well done Sir :thumbup
    I have a weekend project ahead

and Yep the rosta switches sux when using winter gloves
  8. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the wires of Tt switch, there are at least two different versions.
  9. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now ridden 5000 km's with the Trail Tech switch. Huge improvement for ergonomics, highly recommended!
    Mr. Canoehead likes this.
  10. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've now ridden 20 kkm's with the cruise, the half of which with the Trail Tech switch. I've had two times problems with the moisture, I think.

First time in summer 2015, when I didn't yet had the TT switch, the CC didn't engage at all. And I was still not able to turn the CC completely off (orange led on all the time). This issue took place after the bike was parked out in the rain the whole night. Later same day (not more raining) the CC started to work normally.

Last week, when I was coming back from north Norway and and it was quite heavy rain for several hours, the CC suddenly started accelerate all the time. It off course disengaged when I pushed the brake. I tried it several times, allways with the same result. It even engaged once even when I didn't push the SET -button. I then rode the rest of the 886 km's daytrip to home without using the CC. Luckyly it worked the first 500 km's. Then, a few days after keeping my bike in the dry garage, the CC works fine again. I seriously doubt that the Rostra switch I sealed with the silicone, leaks a bit in the heavy rain, which gets the CC make odd things in the rain.

In dry weather I've never had any problems. I think I'll remove the Rostra switch completely next winter, and add a separate on/off switch and engage led.
  11. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could someone understanding the electronics better than I advice me a bit. Now, with the Trail tech 8500-RS switch the wiring looks like this (without the optional relay for the LED-backlight, that I've drawed the previous diagrams). And all works fine, exept few problems with the moisture.
    [​IMG]

Also I'm using the Rostra switch only for on/off. Set/res I use the Tt switch, alltough the Rostra switch also can be used.

Now I'm planning to replace the Rostra switch totally, also remove Rostra and add separate on/off switch, engage-led and pwr on-led. Am I thinking right, the WD below, or is there some errors?

[​IMG]

Edit. Test ride done, works.
  12. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also I removed the Rostra switch panel entirely and replaced also the ON / OFF switch with the Trailtech rocker switch. If someone still plans to mount the Rostra CC on R 1200 GS, which I highly recommend, so I advise to skip the Rostra panel and the the heavy and complicated Rostra harness and build your own harness, with soldered joints. However, I drew the picture below also with Rostra harness connectors, because some of the lines will change color in between the connectors. For the case you are replacing Rostra switch already installed.

The power switch, Trail Tech 040-HBS-01 or 040-HBS-03 is also available from Louis 10032918
    The control switch, RES / SET wiht the opportunity to add the Cancel feature on the middle button, Trail Tech 8500-RS.
    Engage Led, the indicator which shows when the CC is activated on the set speed, Louis Foliatec Led 10031147

That Foliatec Led is quite bright, actually too bright as an indicator, but fortunately, the beam is so narrow that a suitably directed into the sky does not hurt, at least not during daytime. It may be need a dark tape to be placed on top in night.

On / off switch I did not put the power on LED, because it sees the switch position. If a wants, can use the same Foliatec LED or LED illuminated switch. I am not very convinced the Foliatec LED waterproofing, maybe I will fill the groove between the LED and the collar with silicone. Black silicone could at the same time dim a bit the bright light.

The wiring diagram below how the job is done for the R 1200 GS -07, which does not have LED brakelight and Rostra replaced in whole Trailtech Switches. Trailtech 8500-RS-switches have at least two different colored wiring, so be sure to measure the correct wires before soldering. That optional connection for cancel-function flashes the brake light when the middle button is pushed, but that doesn't bother me, actually good to inform the cars driwing behind. I didn't connect it yet, since must remove the gas tank to be able to do the connections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. ErikDK

ErikDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly my thoughts, so I omitted that when I installed C/C. If the C/C starts acting up, I will simply pull its fuse.
    I use the switchgear from the premium version of my bike, which has electric wind screen height adjustment, operated by a switch like the direction indicators. The switch is break instead of make, but a pair of relays invert the function.
  14. beemer chuck

beemer chuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installing the Rostra cruise unit on a 2012 GS. Since this year does not have the VSS wire in the gps connector, I will need to tap into pin 42 on the computer. I have a salvage harness on the way, so no issues on getting the socket needed. I am wondering how you release the upper half of the connector hood. It look like it should slide away from the harness, but I don’t see any obvious release tabs or windows. Any wisdom on this?

Thanks,

Chuck S.
  15. -mek-

-mek- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got once water into the switch and applying brake did not work but the cruise continued accelerating. Just put the on/off switch to be in a safe side.
  16. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Note: "Engage attorney before installation".
  17. BluByU

BluByU Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the clutch did not work?
    If the engine rapidly accelerates above (I think 500 rpm) the CC will disengage. So if the CC does not disengage when o the brakes, just grab the clutch for a brief moment.
    Or put a On/Off switch in, but it will take longer to reach the switch, than the clutch.
  18. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update on my install from May of 2013. Bike now has about 122K on the odo, had about 55K when I installed the CC. It's been to AK and Nova Scotia since then, and lots of long lonely highways. Biggest issue is that it quit working last year on a ride out west. Trying to trouble shoot is almost impossible on the road by yourself, so did some simple replacement like the relay to the brake, fuse, etc, but to no avail. I had to have the front Ohlin's shock rebuilt this year, so while I had the tank off, tore into the CC. Electronics check out, but the home made throttle cable going to the Rostra broke inside the Bowden box, I think from the heat I over applied while soldering the end ferrule on the cable. I've repaired it using a slightly different technique, and in the process of putting it all back together. I was almost to the point of buying a new bike with cruise, but if this one works, going to see how many more miles I can add. But would not want to ride without the cruise, just too much wrist pain for someone with RA...

And many thanks to the OP for doing this, made mine so much easier. Would be nice if the photos were still viewable, but que sera.
    BluByU and phreakingeek like this.
  19. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Google "Photobucket photo fix", apply the add-on for Firefox or Chrome and you should be able to see the photos again.
  20. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I will try that!