Electronic ignition to points conversion

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by TJ530, Jun 12, 2019.

1. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Plaka could you explain what you mean by your comment above? I'm confused because the ignition system I bought from EME has Mottorad Electrik printed on it?
    Screenshot_20190615-081641_Chrome.jpg

And it also says this:
    Screenshot_20190615-082117_Chrome.jpg
  2. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Mottorad Electrik is not euro motoelectrics. you cannot buy anything on rick jones site. there is no shopping cart. you have to call him and he makes sure you are getting the right thing and takes your order. the thing above looks like a stock sasche ignition with the EME cheezy 'enduralast' label on it. Personally I avoid things with cheezy 'marketing' names. The good stuff doesn't need it.
  3. TJ530

TJ530 n00b

Oddometer:
    Back on topic, just wondering if anyone can give details about what to expect when fitting and removing a points bean can also any details about working on a points bean can would also be appreciated?
  4. Plaka

Oddometer:
  5. 190e

190e Long timer

Oddometer:
    The points bean can is a straight swap. Just wire it as the diagram I posted above. Before you fit it, set the points gap on the bench and lube the cam. There is no felt pad so use a trace of grease directly on the cam. Note that when you set the points gap do it with the outrigger bearing plate in place which is not too difficult on the bench but much harder with the bean can in place especially if you are not familiar with it. The reason for mentioning this is if you set the points with the outrigger plate removed the gap will change when you refit the plate.

Points.PNG
    Big Bamboo and patrkbukly like this.
  6. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you buy a used bean can, it's a good idea to replace the o-ring that seals it to the case.
  7. TJ530

TJ530 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just wondering about the wire that connects to the points bean can , how does this happen and is it easy to get to the connection what ever it is?
  8. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    The condenser is attached to the outside of the can with a screw as shown. Its base holds the block with the two connectors, one for the points and one to the wire for the ignition/coil: [​IMG] [​IMG]
  9. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The drive on the above bean can looks just like the drive on a VW distributor.:D
  10. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    Yep, basically the same thing. Did Bosch build the original bean cans?
  11. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. I have never reapplied heat sink paste to one of these, and I can't remember the last one that failed, even when using the lower resistance upgrade/replacement coil.

OEM EI last a long time, frequently for the life of the motorcycle. In my experience, aftermarket stuff doesn't. In some cases, it's worth the risk of failure. My Triumph Trident is one of those cases, and I think 70-'78 Airheads are another.
  12. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Still using a gray 'crakomatic' coil .. from 1980... Along with the ICU - original paste.
    (I do carry spares)

If they could make the rotors that 'unreliable' I'd be very happy. :1drink
    The HES I can deal with for $30 every 10 years or so - replace before it fails.
  13. TJ530

TJ530 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what thickness wire I should be using between the points can and EI module?
  14. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    It does not carry much power - so any thin wire will do. You can use a thick wire .. but that is a waste of copper.
  15. TJ530

TJ530 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just wondering about the circuit diagram that 190E has posted , I will be using a single dual output 3 ohm coil and the diagram shows 2 coils.
    Is there anything that I need to know in regards to variances between the two formats?
  16. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    None.

The spark plug leads got to the big terminals.

One of the small terminals goes to the battery (could be labeled + and/or 30) through the engine kill switch (if you have one) and onwards to the ignition key switch.
    The other terminal goes to the points (could be labeled '-').
  17. 190e

190e Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the coil has terminal markings for polarity then fine but most dual output coils have no polarity because they fire one plug centre electrode to earth strap and the other plug earth strap to centre electrode. If there are no terminal markings don't worry about itas it makes no practical difference which way around you connect them.
    Warin likes this.
  18. TJ530

TJ530 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your replies, I was reading somewhere about a chap who broke down and had to fit a points can to his BMWR100GSPD and there was some problem where the condensor wire started to melt , there was a comment " it is simple one wire from the black wire side , your good. From the green wire side your toast" Im still hoping that out of this I will end up with a diagram to match the coil that I will be fitting.
    Just wondering is it possible to get the points bean can 180 degrees out if not fitted correctly?
  19. UnclePete

UnclePete Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ….Just wondering is it possible to get the points bean can 180 degrees out if not fitted correctly?....

The drive slot is offset so it can only be installed one way .
    WRC51 likes this.
  20. Plaka

Oddometer:
    the coil will set the draw across the points. too mu7ch draw and the points will burn.

as mentioned, offset key. it ony goes one way.