Elefant Sightings?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by erappaport, May 24, 2006.

1. Borealis

Borealis n00bian

Oddometer:
    Hello fellow Mahouts!

Here's my '94 AC900 'Fant that I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire here in CA, in place of my '91 900IE sold back in DK.

So, I finally had an opportunity to get out there on more than a day ride - into my own backyard (Big Sur).

She performed admirably, as usual but I am having a few issues with the regulator. I think someone in here mentioned replacing theirs with - of all things - a compatible Ford Mustang regulator. Does anyone have any insights/tips on replacement regulators? I have the DDL wiring harness upgrade, headlight kit and headlights installed.

Furthermore, I am missing a front fork mounting bracket for the front fender on one side. Any ideas on replacement parts? I was considering 3D printing, fabricating a custom fender mount to take the original front fender or going with an aftermarket fender.

Best, B.

IMG_20181001_174053.jpg IMG_20181001_183057.jpg IMG_20181001_174015.jpg IMG_20181001_154334.jpg
    falcn and Lupin 3rd like this.
  2. AfricaTwin

AfricaTwin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recommend the Mosfet regulator purchased from elefantadventurebikes.com
    Borealis likes this.
  3. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am in SFBay area! There is another Elefant owner I know in my Ducati club as well.

I replaced my regulator with a MOSFET kit (not from Elefant AdvBikes as that wasnt offered at the time) and it is awesome. I wired direct to the battery through large gauge wire and it charges at 14+ volts at idle. No issues running heated grips and vest at the same time if needed. It's a great upgrade. I recommend getting a Voltmeter. I have one installed in the dash as there is a place for a 2" meter in the bottom left.

There is an aftermarket supplier listed in the ElefantTechnical thread for a fender. Mine is cracked and I mounted a high fender, but may get the Perfect Fairings fender. One of our members here mounted it and posted pictures.

Elegant Tech Thread:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/elefant-technical-thread.315973/page-45

My Elefant charging with the MOSFET, cold idle.

If you search the forum and look for Elefant MOSFET you will find my post from 2013. Damn I didn't realize I did that upgrade 5 years ago....
    Borealis likes this.
  4. ejand22

ejand22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone! Would anyone with a set of Hepco & Becker side racks be so kind as to photograph the mounting points on their bike with the rack installed? I've run across a used rack locally, but it's simply a pile of parts and I'd like to try to mount it correctly - if possible. There are a number of spacers and things that aren't intuitive as to where they go. Thanks in advance!
  5. falcn

Oddometer:
    I can snap some this weekend.
  6. ejand22

ejand22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  7. falcn

Oddometer:
    I'll respond here so everyone has the pics for reference. Excuse the dirty bike - she goes off-road and is my rain ride :D

The spacers are pretty simple, with 3 for the right footpeg/bracket mount, one for the left bracket mount at the front. The rear hoop is kind of obvious, and the tie in point to the helmet lock is another attachment. On mine the left rack top arm is a little too short and causes a twist, but it functions. I could have it rewelded by a shop - might still do that, or make something on my own from Wolfman loops or something... anyway - here are the pics - let me know if there are questions!

From the top down looking at right side. Long spacer (1) is rack to frame. Small spacers are behind the passenger footpeg bracket (2)
    IMG_20190107_101920976.jpg

This is the arm that the right side bodywork screw mount too. The rack goes under it. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it back in the right spot.
    IMG_20190107_101932371.jpg

Wider shot of the right side...
    IMG_20190107_101938930.jpg

From the back of the bike looking fwd at the exhaust mount. I put a spacer to bump out the exhaust for the rack to fit, and then one on the inside to move the rack over a little. This is the Staintune exhaust and not OEM.
    IMG_20190107_102004792.jpg

more to follow...
  8. falcn

Oddometer:
    The rest of the pictures I have for the rack mount...

Rear Hoop mounting. You'd think it would be centered on the fender. Mine is not, then again my bike might be tweaked.
    IMG_20190107_102035212.jpg

Rack mount at the helmet lock.
    IMG_20190107_102049584.jpg

Helmet lock mount bolt is replaced for this mounting point.
    IMG_20190107_102102925.jpg

Left front rack mount at frame. Large spacer (1)
    IMG_20190107_102112203.jpg
  9. ejand22

ejand22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is so awesomely helpful! Thanks so much!
  10. falcn

Oddometer:
    Hmm probably should have been on the Elefant Technical Thread
  11. ejand22

ejand22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it might be better over there. Mods - if you want to move this part of the conversation to that thread I'm completely OK with that.

In the meantime... What do you guys think of this? Doesn't look correct, does it? I'm thinking my rack is messed up somehow. Installed in the same way as facln suggested, it's off by quite a bit on the side opposite the exhaust. The exhaust side is almost perfectly parallel with the subframe and is vertically plumb when the bike is upright. The other side is off parallel by over an inch front to back and roughly the same dimension out of plumb from top to bottom. Ugh. Photo 7.jpg
    Borealis and falcn like this.
  12. falcn

Oddometer:
    Close to the same issue I had.
  13. ejand22

ejand22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really? That sucks. I think it looks like a pile of crap on my bike and wish there were other manufacturer options out there to choose from.
  14. falcn

Oddometer:
    Used to be Givi wing setup could be fitted. Some others have made their own racks.

I keep meaning to reweld the left one myself to make it straight like the right side.
  15. LADAKAR

LADAKAR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys I feel your pain... It is nearly impossible to find a used luggage rack and bags for our Elefants.
    I looked around for a long time trying to find a solution for luggage, but at the end I would always going back and look at the Jesse Luggage website based in Arizona... After several emails I even spoke with Al, Mr. Jesse himself, and he told me that a long long time ago he had made a batch of frames and bags for the Elefants, but he did not keep the blue prints and he was not going to make a one-of just for me... Long story short about a year later he sold the factory. I got in touch with the new owner, a great great guy BTW, and on a weekend when I had to go from Los Angeles to Arizona for a waterpolo tournament for my son, I disapperead between two games and went to Mesa, AZ to the Jesse Luggage factory. I got the grandtour a very nice chat with the owner and the staff and bought a pair of mismathced bags and enough parts to weld a rack with the help of my amazing mechanic... I got everything powder coated, the rack, the original rear plate and the bags.... I had to loose one of the side panels, that covers the battery, and I have not rebuilt it yet, but overall I love it. And when I go off road I use the same rack to mount soft bags... It was not cheap, (about $1500 with powder coating and labor)) fast, or simple, but at the end it was worth for me. And the cool part with the Jesse system is that you can slide the bags back and forward on the rack when you have a passenger or if you go solo and want the weight closer to the center of gravity...
    I would be curious to see a photo of an Elefant with an original rack and bags designed by Jesse Luggage in the 90s..

If somebody wants more pics I can try to get one without the bags to show how the rack is mounted.

141A35F7-3A7B-4B92-B138-E8923275A087.jpeg
    Borealis, Chris Kane and falcn like this.
  16. BobintheMtns

BobintheMtns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought some pre-made "loops" from Happy Trails that are Wolfman soft luggage/roto pax compatible. Then had a local guy weld up some arms for them... Pretty simple, and cost about $400 total.

Untitled-1.jpg
  17. Dirty30 Dillon

Dirty30 Dillon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've posted it elsewhere, but here's the Elefant I am putting together for this spring.

[​IMG]
    Chris Kane likes this.
  18. falcn

Oddometer:
    I am entered with the Elefant in the Quail Motorcycle Gathering - I want to show some pictures of Elefants in the wild - if you don't mind, send me your most scenic pic with the Elefant in it, let me know your name and the location and I will add it to the scrolling presentation on the tablet that will be with the bike.

ryan(dot)vallieu(at)gmail(dot)com
    Ryan
    JeffPM likes this.
  19. ejand22

ejand22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    0BA02439-FD37-4C9F-BF45-FD9885073731.jpeg Here’s mine, all back together and after my morning test run. All works as it should!
  20. falcn

Oddometer:
    What did you have done to the engine?