Elefant Sightings?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by erappaport, May 24, 2006.

1. ejand22

ejand22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Luckily, I didn't have to do anything to the engine. It only had 9k km on it, so aside from new belts, spark plugs, a stainless bolt kit, and a bit of washing I didn't touch it. I did, however, add a starter wiring kit, MOSFET reg/rec, and the headlight upgrades from DDL. I also had all of the bodywork painted, added stainless braided brake lines, and put new tubes/tires on it. After a few more days of riding I've noticed the left front brake bleeder screw is weeping a bit and it's fully tightened so I'll need to replace that.
    Borealis and falcn like this.
  2. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    Signed in at the Quail. Representing in the "Off-road Wonders of the 90's"!

20190503_160950_HDR~3.jpg
    River Rat, LADAKAR, Borealis and 2 others like this.
  3. falcn

Oddometer:
    Pachyderm paddock!

20190504_101504_HDR.jpg

I hope people appreciated the Elefants. There was no chance we were winning any concourse level awards, but it was fun!
  4. BobintheMtns

BobintheMtns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    desert-fant.jpg
    Random desert shot from this past winter..
  5. whiskysour

whiskysour Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. XandR

XandR Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Borealis

Borealis n00bian

Oddometer:

Same battery!:rayof

8. Borealis

Borealis n00bian

Oddometer:
    It was great running into you guys @ The Quail. It was wonderful to see the pachyderms on display - wish I had ridden mine there too ;-) Here is a couple of photos of mine from my ride through Big Sur in Nov. 2018.

IMG_20181001_174053.jpg

IMG_20181001_183057.jpg
    Chris Kane, River Rat and falcn like this.
  9. falcn

Oddometer:
    Nice looking 'Fant!! That would have been awesome to have three of them.

You are pretty brave running without fork leg guards. :O
    Borealis likes this.
  10. Borealis

Borealis n00bian

Oddometer:
    Thanks - It would have been and I almost brought the Fant rather than the Tiger 1050. Unfortunately, I have been having electrical problems (sound familiar to everyone that ever owned an Elefant?) either with the wiring harness or the regulator/rectifier not returning enough Amps to the battery; diagnosing that right now. I have the DDL wiring harness + headlight upgrade installed.
    It looks like it still has the stock regulator/rectifier. May have to get the Mosfet..

With respect to the front fender and fork leg guards, I have to admit I have not really thought about the risk - but yes! Any recommendations on any aftermarket fork leg guards?? Unfortunately, when I bought the Fant, it came with the original fender, but only one front fork bracket mount for the fender.
    Hence, I need to either fabricate a fork mount for the other side (3d printing, carbon fiber or metal) or install an aftermarket fender.
    I have created a template for profiled front fork mounts from aluminum, but while I get my act together to decide on which long term solution to go with, I wanted to ask you about your solution: What specific parts did you use to install the aftermarket fender? Could you give me info on the parts + dimensions, please?

Thanks.

Best, P
  11. falcn

Oddometer:
    Just get the MOSFET (see Page 28 here)- it is another world compared to stock. I run 14.5 volts at idle now reliably ever since the install. Wired direct to battery with thick cables from the kit I bought (as detailed earlier in the Elefant technical thread).

Fender Options:

1) Stock reproduction fender legs: I myself just bought a pair of fiberglass reproduction oem fender braces. They need to be filled and sanded and painted, but I have them now at least. I should fit them up first to check fit with the fender, etc. You can get a pair from the Facebook Cagiva Elefant group (I know, how many social platform groups can one out of production bike have!?) - the gentlemen's email I will PM you. Enrico Vivi is his name and he is making some repro parts for the Elefant.

I mounted generic Acerbis lower guards and trimmed to fit the wheel.

2) One-piece for the Elefant: You can also get the one piece fender from Perfect Fairings (see posts here on the Elefant Technical Thread with it installed).

3) Non-Elefant One-piece: You also have the option of some one-piece fenders off-the-shelf for other bikes, I think a Yamaha was fitted (see Duke Fender, or in here).

4) Custom dirt bike fender installs: My fender is a universal SUMO fender (I forget which one, there are MANY), mounted with long plastic spacers to the 4 M6x1.0 holes in the bottom of the triple tree. I sometimes debate on putting on a slightly longer fender as the Sumo fender is a bit short. This is what many of us have done. I can send you some of the extra spacer material, as I ordered a bunch and cut to length myself. I will have to measure the length I used when I get home - bike is in the parking lot here at work, but I don't have a tape on the bike :D
    Borealis and bark sampler like this.
  12. falcn

Oddometer:
    I put the info about the fender spacers and pictures of the fork legs in the Technical Thread
    Borealis likes this.
  13. Highsierra4r

Highsierra4r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a few shots from a ride this past summer. I'm looking forward to getting the bike out to the desert this winter.

IMG_20190707_142744.jpg IMG_20190620_141446.jpg
  14. falcn

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  15. AfricaTwin

AfricaTwin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice looking bike. Is that a TCIP replacing the Kokusan OEM ignitions on the left side ?
    Borealis likes this.
  16. falcn

Oddometer:
    Sure looks like one. That is how I have mine mounted as well. One of the best upgrades for the bike. Really smooths out the lower rpm range.
    Borealis likes this.
  17. youngan

youngan -------

Oddometer:
    I wanted to add this thread to my “Watch” list, but couldn’t figure out a way to do it without posting, so I thought I’d just throw in some photos of my Elefants, out in the wild.

5BFA3370-696E-4671-9B72-EB563873808E.jpeg 84907FA6-9947-429F-B548-F2BA0B005F77.jpeg B208EF35-969C-4DE6-A478-B7CA1DFA04E8.jpeg C69D6F47-E076-4CD3-8BAD-E3B59EDFECA5.jpeg B3BCBDFB-7D0E-43FB-9BB0-BE93FFC0CF48.jpeg 873B777F-5C3C-4380-9B13-1CFF24D96F77.jpeg
    soulbazz, Chris Kane, mvmac2 and 6 others like this.
  18. Baya

Baya ...

Oddometer:
    In Verona, Italy, this january.

:-)
    __
    Borealis, Lupin 3rd and River Rat like this.
  19. Borealis

Borealis n00bian

Oddometer:
    :clap
  20. falcn

Oddometer:
    Put on new sprockets and chain. Finally got my front from Europe after 3 months. Damn Covid.

Took her up Moody/Page Mill to rt 35, to 9 to 236 to Big Basin CA. One of my fave routes. So twisty and goat pathy. Just what the Elefant loves.
    20200531_140231_HDR.jpg 20200531_140453_HDR.jpg 20200531_140240_HDR.jpg 20200531_140253_HDR.jpg
    River Rat, Lupin 3rd and Borealis like this.