Elefant Technical Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by motomikedh, Feb 28, 2008.

1. HawkRyder

HawkRyder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rubber guide that sits on the swing arm.
  2. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. EGG2

EGG2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what the front/rear brake master cylinders are on a 1995 750? I've searched the part number I can see (10.4773), but seem to get results back from google indicating anything from PS11 to PS16. I suspect it's a PS13, but I'm not certain.

Thanks
  4. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it is time to throw in the towel on my Elefant projects. I have two 900's that I was going to make into one, but thinking I do not have the time. Convince me to do it :-)
  5. falcn

Oddometer:
    They need saving! They are disappearing from the earth and any that can be saved and put back on the road should be...
    RichBeBe likes this.
  6. AfricaTwin

AfricaTwin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The e900 is one of the greatest true dual sport motorcycles ever made. You can source most items from places like elefantadventurebikes.com Share some pictures of your projects with us Rich.
    falcn likes this.
  7. falcn

Oddometer:
    I'm near to pulling the trigger on either a rebuild to 944 (normal compression) with 900SS cams and ST2 pistons, probably on big valve heads, OR swapping in a EFI 803 motor (M800, S2R 800, M796).
  8. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't do it. I sold my '94 e900 a while back and still regret it. One of the few bikes I wish I still had.
  9. cjspga

cjspga n00b

Oddometer:
    I had a 94. Had Moto Europa in Richmond Va fit a 944 kit, firm up the bouncy bits. Slung on some soft rubber and terrorised the local rice rockets until i got sick of it eating voltage regulators.

That was about 15yrs ago and there isn't a single day that goes by that I don't try and find it to buy it back.

If any of you have a 900 Fant- Ducati red respray with Lucky Elephant graphics and a white stripe up and over the tank, please get in touch.

Attached photo is not mine but is of the bike after I sold it. 57236687-M-1.jpg
  10. decafe

decafe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a back up spares in sealand container for my 650 and 900
  11. falcn

Oddometer:
    What spares for the 900? Thought you sold the bike.
  12. falcn

Oddometer:
    Voltage regulators are an easy fix now with the MOSFET designs and Weather-pack connectors! I finally had to replace my stator after all these years, the heat finally did in the insulation. At the time I should have put in the Weather-pack connector, but since it was new figured I would stick with the spade connector, that melted last month. Slapped in a Weather-pack 30A connector and been back on the road ... lovin it. Though I have been entertaining thoughts of selling it for a Desert X (when it comes out) or Desert Sled since you can get parts for them, or slapping in an 803 EFI motor since the 900 is getting loooooong in the tooth.
    bark sampler likes this.
  13. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you source your 30A connectors? My 650 is going to get the electrical updates over the next month with the EAB kit and a MOSFET, once I figure out which model I need.

The Desert X is looking good. Kind of wish they would have done it more lightweight, but it’s still cool (as is the Sled)!
  14. falcn

Oddometer:
    Here is the weather-pack on my elefant
    20191215_124644.jpg

Here is the offending damn OEM spade connector that was NEW on the stator side with the new stator, but which is the side that burned up.
    20191215_124624.jpg

I got Weather-pack 30A connectors through McMaster.com (McMaster-Carr) - but you can also get them through places like Mouser and Digikey and maybe even my usual connector supplier, www.cycleterminal.com I bought 2 of the two-pin and two of the three-pin for future use.

https://www.mcmaster.com/weather-pack-connectors

Note the 30A lines require 12-14 guage wire. I HIGHLY recommend the proper crimp tool. I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GB698KV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does the terminal to wire, and terminal to seal at the same time, and has a terminal holder so you aren't fumbling around trying to hold things all together while squeezing.

It is not shown here, but I have a bunch of connector specific crimp tools, and a great wire stripper. I also recommend the non-insulated butt-splice connectors vs the usual red/blue/yellow "insulated" ones for splicing wires on your bikes.

20191229_151544~2.jpg

The little orange crimper is for the turn signal/brake connectors, the JWPF JST connector pins. I just wired up a friends new turn signals for her this past weekend. Her BF bought all kinds of pigtail terminals and JST connectors and OEM pigtails for her Ducati from an online store, and I built the adapters. I like the JST connectors. Much better than bullet connectors. I might start upgrading the Elefant connectors for the turn signal and stuff to the JST.

Cycleterminals doesnt seem to have the 30A Weather-pack version, only 16-20 gauge wire version, which is the 20A. He has a TON of connectors that appear on motorcycles. He ships FAST.
    http://www.cycleterminal.com/weatherpack-connectors.html

Regulator/Rectifier - I recommend the FH020AA - Cycle Terminal sells the correct Furukawa QLW connectors to make your own harness. Or you can buy a kit from other places. http://www.cycleterminal.com/furukawa-qlw-250.html

The SH847 is newest regulator/rect - but it is a little physically bigger than the FH020AA. You may be able to find used FH020AA on Ebay really cheap - they come on tons of motorcycles.

Two suppliers of FH020AA kits (back when I did it, I got my kit from MotoElectrix):

https://motoelectrix.com/collection...dengen-mosfet-fh012aa-regulator-rectifier-kit

https://www.roadstercycle.com/ sells all kinds of kits to make installation easy.

I had to get some pins to redo the FH020AA regulator-to-stator wires and I got them from CT.
    bark sampler likes this.
  15. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic summary. I am also a firm believer in the right crimp tools. Very much appreciated!

it’s the same connector on my 650 that’s got to go. The housing turned tan color from heat, failure is eminent at this point.
    falcn likes this.
  16. Highsierra4r

Highsierra4r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://easternbeaver.com/

https://www.corsa-technic.com/

I've used both of these sites along with cycleterminal and had great service from all three.

IMG_20200207_200758.jpg

Attached Files:

17. youngan

youngan -------

Oddometer:
    If you still have the stock stator in your 650, you may not be able to find a MOSFET regulator/rectifier that will work with it. The stock stator is an older design that’s uses three wires, but is NOT three-phase, despite what the service manual says. It’s a single phase that uses a center tap (that’s the third wire). You will need a regulator that is designed for a center-tap-type single phase stator. Without going into all the details, it works off a different method of rectifying. Smarter people than me might weigh in here, but I think that if you hooked a MOSFET regulator/rectifier to just the two yellow wires from the stator, you would get a charge, but it would be rather slow to come up to voltage, and likely would be below adequate voltage at low RPM. If you need more details, I can send you something that another Elefant rider, who is smarter on this stuff, sent me.

On my 650, I replaced the stock stator with a used one that I had from one of my 900s (which required only very minor, but critical, modification to the side cover) and installed a MOSFET.
  18. pax maac

pax maac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I have a 94 Elefant 900 that I bought from the original owner in Mexico. She felt weird all of a sudden, I knew something was up with the rear shock. I took the plastic off to see that the shock is in 2 pieces and possibly bent and theres a bolt on the left side of the bike that holds the frame together and looks like it should go to the bottom of the shock mount but its all broken to hell.

I don't even know what I need to get it fixed besides a new shock. Please help me find my way parts wise and internet help wise. I know there are precious few of these bikes around and probably even less info in English but I really love this bike in all her purple/mauve/whatever that color is glory.
  19. rosskuhns

rosskuhns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    elefant adverture sells shock shttps://elefantadventurebikes.com/cagiva/e750ac/ddl-custom-shock-upgrade/
    I don't know about the bolt, I've not been in there for a while, but if you search for parts diagrams, they are out there - I have a link to a europe parts site, but not on this computer.

Here is one: https://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem4.asp?M=Cagiva&T=ELEPHANT 900&Y=1994&L=CA-ELEPH-1

probably under suspension or frame.
  20. youngan

youngan -------

Oddometer:
    Here are the appropriate pages from the parts manual. First set is frame.

55BBE5CC-75F2-45C5-BEF2-7DB631DD63CB.png

Attached Files: