Elusive Dual Sport Ride?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by VStromNC, Jul 26, 2007.

1. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    As with some of you that own the larger Dual Sport beasts, I own a V-Strom 1000 and wanted to combine my usual riding in the twisties with some dirt trails. I have gone riding to many areas including up to Boone area, western side of NC and even down to S. Carolina looking for that elusive secluded dirt road that I could combine with my mountain/twisty road riding.

I am not talking about private roads where you risk getting chased by pack of angry dogs- that actually happened to me one day when I still had my KLR650 but that's another story. I am talking about legal "unimproved" roads somewhere preferably up in the mountains so that I can combine my usual Sunday ride into a true dual sport ride.

Mapsource w/ my Garmin Nuvi 360 or my trusty Streets & Trips were no help in finding this elusive dual sport ride.

I then came across a thread in a V-Strom forum where they were talking about the very same thing although in different part of the country. As usual, johnofchar, a strom expert, replied with a link to purchase individual state Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer. I ordered this last week for $19.95 and received it yesterday. I glanced at it last night and it shows all unimproved roads and trails including GPS information to get you to that spot. I have now pinpointed a large trail that I will attempt to ride next weekend just northwest of Morganton. I could not believe how many large and small trails there were even around where I live.

I plan to take my camera next weekend, can't go this weekend, and I will let you guys know if this trail can be safely ridden with a DL1000. It appears to be a large trail network of about 15 miles with other trail branches extending from the main "unimproved" trail.

I can now punch the GPS coordinates into my Nuvi so that I can find it easily.

Hang tight and I will get back to you.

Here's the link to Delorme but you may want to hold off until I can validate at least one trail network.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...?section=10096
  2. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    Here are some County wide maps. I had some of these printed at Staples for $4.50 each onto 24x36 sheets of paper. The ones I looked it show gravel and paved. improved and unimproved.

Tennessee County Maps
    http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/Maps/county/default.htm

North Carolina County Maps
    http://www.mynorthcarolinagenealogy.com/nc_maps/nc_dot.htm

Georgia County Maps
    http://gis.state.ga.us/emaps/dotmaps/

Alabama
    http://www.myalabamagenealogy.com/al_maps/al_dot.htm

Kentucky

http://www.planning.kytc.ky.gov/maps/crs/crsmaps.asp (color)

http://www.planning.kytc.ky.gov/maps/tiff_archive/crs_archive.asp (b/w)
  3. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch. I will check it out.
  4. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    The Delorme maps are what I do but having a DRZ i'm looking for for more dirt oriented trails than gravel and unimproved roads.
    You may also want to try Google Earth as you can usually make out what condition the road is in (at least at the time the image was taken) I find all kinds of nice trails in this manner.
    On the Delorme maps I cut the pages out of the book and carry the pages in a large zip lock bag, insert the pages full size and then fold them once in the bag so you don't need to constantly open the bag.

Happy hunting!
  5. RockinXJ

RockinXJ gettin the hang of it.

Oddometer:
    being in Charlotte, i suppose ou have been to uwharrie ORV area. there are trails there you could safely negotiate with your DL and some nice twisties around the area. try the road to Jumping Off Rock. When i am in town and get time I will PM you. maybe do a daytrip over there.
  6. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Yeah, back when I had my KLR650, I rode at Uwharrie several times. Never took the V-Twin pig up there yet. Checking out OLD State RD. 105/ Old NC 105 this Sunday west of Morganton since Delorme map showed many promising trails. I have it routed into my Garmin.
  7. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You riders don't know how nice you have it up there in NC compared to what I've heard FL referred to as rider hell. A 'twisty' down here would be executed by changing lanes on I-95! Anyway, stop complaining Dave... winter's just around the corner and life will be good again.

Picked up the Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer for Florida today at a Barnes & Noble. (hoping to discover some hidden great riding - alas, not to be.) Pretty good maps. A bit more detail beyond Garmin, and I do like the very readable format. Good tip. Thanks.

BTW the link above does not work for me?
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    This is another thread meant for East Regionals.
  9. TBItoy

TBItoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out Joe Brown Hwy in TN. It's twisty, long and gravel.
  10. twistydave

twistydave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey man a good ride I have found is near Brevard NC on the road going up to the parkway and there are at least 3 dirt roads off it they all connect with other good twistys. I think the long dirt road is 1206. good riding O yea if your experienced these dirt road should be OK for your big Vstrom.
  11. wesdawg

wesdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    VstromNC, did you ever post the ride you were talking about in this thread? I didn't see where you reported on the ride?
  12. adventurecycle

adventurecycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump....
  13. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here is your long twisty gravel. It's not even gravel. It's honest to goodness dirt.
  14. goldo

goldo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    VstromNC - I recently got a BMW F800 and would consider it in the large DS category and was wondering if you have any recommendations for riding around the Deals Gap area - off road- thanks
  15. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:

Man, I did not know that my thread from 2007 was still active! I just came across this thread by accident.

I posted the Morganton ride couple of years ago and I am sure that I deleted the photos to make room for other ride reports. I will see if I can find it.

Here's a similar post from VStrom Riders forum:

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,5553.0.html

I have never ridden Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway yet. I know that is strange considering that I live in a State with some of the best riding in the country for street or dirt. I participated on few DS rides in Murphy NC that was great. Awesome DS riding up in the Tellico Plains area.

Jon