EM Battery Details

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Kyler, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    I've started this thread to record details about the EM battery as a reference. My goal is to provide enough information so that someone can repair, rebuild or build a battery; with that in mind I hope other EM owners will add details too. I'll add those details to this post.

I have a 2016 EM Sport+ with a 16ah battery. I left the bike on recently and ran it down to the point where it wouldn't charge. My friend, smdub took it apart and nursed it back to health. The battery is just a pouch lipo, simple BMS, hall sensor, and a pair of contactors. Much of what you see below comes from smdub. The rest is from my research and from other EM owners.

My SmugMug gallery of my EM battery internals is here

[​IMG]

If you drill out the rivets, be sure to avoid pushing them into the case. They can be hard to get and you don't want anything metal bouncing around inside. All connections are covered in RTV as you can see below. Rivets holes are 0.165-0.170" diameter. Since these were built in France, that is a 4mm rivet; a 5/32" aluminum rivet works. I bought these. Sheets are ~0.065" thick each so the grip range will be >1/8" w/ the sealant between. Qty 16 are needed each side = 32 total. Clear RTV works to seal the case sides.

[​IMG]

The battery has 14 4-volt cells for 56 volts with one cell also powering the relay. If the battery is very low, the relay won't engage and the battery won't charge. Charge that cell and then the charger will work.

More to come ...
  2. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you tell who makes the cells? They are 16 Ah cells?
  3. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    No, but as I continue my research I'll add the manufacturer. Mine are 16ah cells.