Emergency oil pan puncture repair

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mcbooya, Sep 24, 2019.

1. mcbooya

mcbooya Enginerd

Oddometer:
    I hit a rock on the COBDR 30 miles outside of Gunnison, CO, which put about a 1/2" area dent and hole in my oil pan, causing a large leak. The aluminum got press in so there is about 1/8" gap in a semi circle in the dented area.
    Any tips on a repair? Would JB weld work good enough to continue on the trip? How long do I really need to let it cure before driving again? My thought is to clean it up, rough it up, JB weld, add oil. But if there are better ideas I would like some advice.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    I'd be interested in the JB weld solution.
    I successfully used muffler putty on a car oil pan once.
    It lasted for weeks until I could replace the sump, which had a long crease and split.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you attach a picture of the punctured area? You're on the right track with the steps, but I would clean, then scuff, then really clean then JB Weld. For cleaning, brake cleaner is an excellent degreaser and will leave no residue. From the forecast, it's supposed to be in the 30s tonight where you are - any chance of letting the repair cure overnight in a warm environment?
    Suncoaster and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  4. simestd

Oddometer:
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    The JB weld putty will work great for that. It may seep a slight amount of oil but will not be enough to worry about. Read the directions on cure time, the JB putty only takes about 10 minutes to be ready to go. The regular epoxy has a longer cure time and will be difficult to to apply to a surface that is not facing up.

A buddy ripped a nickel size hole in his case in remote Mexico mountains. We cleaned it up as well as we could but we did not have anything to degrease it properly with. We just patched it up. He rode 10 more days like that. It started leaking a little worse at the end of the trip.

I bought a new bike and punched a hole in the clutch cover on the first ride. Cleaned it well and applied JB Weld. Rode it for 2 years without an issue before selling the bike.
    Kylerbry, JGNC and Suncoaster like this.
  6. kasuckmo

kasuckmo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-9-25_7-6-46.jpeg upload_2019-9-25_7-6-46.jpeg upload_2019-9-25_7-6-46.jpeg
  7. mcbooya

mcbooya Enginerd

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I am going to try the JB stikweld. I got a ride into town, so am thinking I will get a truck and haul it in to a better work place,maybe take that pan off and putty it up.
    The crack is difficult to see from a pic,it's tucked up in one of the recesses in the bottom of the pan.
  8. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    I like to epoxy a patch made from a can to cover the hole then epoxy over all of it

use brake cleaner for sure!
  9. simestd

Oddometer:
    I'd take a couple hours and try to patch it without removing the pan first. There's a good chance you can patch it well enough to continue your trip. The stuff you're using sets in 3-5 minutes and cures in an hour so be prepared (and maybe lay the bike on it's side for access). Clean the crack and try to push at least some material into the crack itself first while the putty is most flexible and then smooth the rest over the area. Have a meal while it cures, fill with oil and go for a test ride. :thumbup

If you do take the pan off, a trick to increase your chances of not tearing the gasket so it can be reused is to only loosen each fastener 1 or 2 turns from tight and then gently whack all the edges of the pan in the shear direction (WRT the gasket) with a rubber mallet, block of wood or similar. Of course this technique works best with a replacement gasket on the bench beside you :doh

Good luck!
    Richarde1605 and Suncoaster like this.
  10. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    J B (& others) makes a putty that you nead to activate. I carry it in my tool kit.
    I have made permanent repairs like this by removing the part & spooging regular J B from both sides. Must be very clean & dry.
  11. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on brake cleaner, I holed my clutch cover on Mt Antero long ago, scraped the paint off with a multi tool. JB QUIK sets in a hurry. Some guys have used a coin +JB to span a larger hole. I patched it from the outside with bike laid over, was still leak free years later.
  12. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I use the putty stick stuff. 2 part rolled into a log.... chop off a piece, kneed it until its one color, stick it on.... 5 minutes later its done. I fixed a couple broken side covers with it, both holding the last time I saw them. one was still holding after a couple years when I sold the bike. last summer my ride buddy left the oil filler cap off his bike and 30 miles later realized his foot was wet. I went back to look for the cap but no good. so, I mixed some stick, smeared it in the threads on the case, and more on the threads from the top of his MSR fuel bottle.... put the 2 together and 5 minutes later... done. no leaks for 1000 miles and, you can unscrew the cap
    nevermind likes this.
  13. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    JBWeld AKA 'duct tape in a tube' has a place/function in our world but it's not a fix-all for everything. About as over hyped as WD40 or Bondo. It's a temp fix. Why do things twice? To get the pan clean enough for the goop to stick properly you gotta take then pan off. At that point take it to a welder and have him put an alum patch on it and be done with it.
    baldman1 likes this.
  14. bwallca

bwallca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I punched a hole in the crankcase of an XR250 miles from anywhere. Layed it over and cleaned with gas then patched with Quick Steel, 30 minutes later we were on our way. This was intended to be a temporary repair but turned out to be permanent, it was still fine when I sold the bike years later.
    trumpet, concours, Motomantra and 2 others like this.
  15. kasuckmo

kasuckmo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I fixed my oil pan on a k bike after going Over a concrete barrier with splash zone from west marine. You will have to wait 24 hr to dry. The k bike is still around with the patch from 2005
  16. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe the OP is on the road, just wants to get it home.:*sip*
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  17. A_Vasiliev

A_Vasiliev Red, white and blue.

Oddometer:
    I have used JB Weld before to fix fairly sizeable chunks taken out of a snowmobile crankcase (busted rod). I used popsicle sticks as a matrix to stiffen up the JB Weld over the big hole it was covering.

You absolutely have to clean and degrease both the inside and the outside of the pan and apply the fix to both sides to form a "plug" that will help keep the repair in place and not let it just fall out if the adhesion does crack off from vibration. A slow drip that you can catch during rest stops is better than a quarter-sized hole that immediately dumps all your oil on the ground while you're going 80 mph.
  18. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JB it to get home THEN remove and use some of that low temp "welding rod" for non-ferrous repairs. It is not WELDING. It is more like brazing and can be done with a Bernz-O-Matic propane torch for thin stuff. I have made many permanent repairs with that stuff and it works! An experienced TIG welder can make a beautiful, permanent repair in almost anything, thin or thick. See some of his work, first. If all his welds look like a stack of dimes strung out overlapping, he probably knows his stuff.
  19. mcbooya

mcbooya Enginerd

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice, the JBWeld SteelStik worked great. It comes in a tube with 5min set and 1hr cure time. I brought the JBweld, brake cleaner, sandpaper, and new oil out to where I left the bike and about 2 hours later I was good to go. It took some time to prep it and I waited the full hour before adding oil. Rode it for about 7 hours today without any leaks. I did sandpaper and clean very well, and was able to push the putty into the crack the best I could. I decided not to take off the pan until I get it home in case I were to damage the gasket. I still have a long drive home so I hope it holds up.
    Attached is a pic of the hole, the rock punctured the stock bash plate and into the pan as well. IMG_20190925_123059720_HDR.jpg IMG_20190925_114501195_HDR.jpg
  20. simestd

Oddometer:
    Outstanding, well done!!!
    Ducky 149 likes this.