EMT's and emergency release cheek pads

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ElRod, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    My local VFD just accepted delivery of their new $970K Pierce heavy rescue. Parked alongside their kinda-tired 199x heavy rescue (which goes out on virtually every call, per my app), I had an easy compare-and-contrast when my FF neighbor gave me the 50 cent tour. He showed me the new equipment that was also purchased for fitting to the new rig. It's a sea change in technology, and to my [layman] eyes, it seems as exciting as the company members claim it is.

Gone, for example, are the heavy hydraulics. It's all cordless electric now. "E-draulics".

[​IMG]

Slide your empty air tank in the appropriate slot, outside, and the designee in the interior jump seat will open the door, spin the lazy susan tank rack as needed, and perform an expedient refill.

[​IMG]

And so on.
    Grreatdog, slime and husky390 like this.
  2. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, that sure beats the shit out of praying the motor would start on the hydro pump for our ancient port-a-power or refilling bottles in a keg bucket full of water on the front of trailer mounted air cascade system.

I got a shock moving from a very well funded city department to an independent VFD that did turkey shoots to make the fucking truck payments. It was sweet when the county finally took over and I got to work with real equipment again.
    Tall Man, husky390 and KneeDrachen like this.
  3. husky390

husky390 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And I’m sure there’s a salty senior riding backwards bitching about how much better the old hydraulic tools were better. I jest.
  4. CO303

CO303 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a question for the EMT's. I have a previous neck injury and a 5 level fusion. My helmet is appropriately marked. Assuming I'm not able to remove my helmet or respond, how do they deal with it?
  5. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is your helmet marked, and what is the criteria with removing to not removing your helmet?

Second to that... it’s life over limb. If you’re not breathing, I am going to save your life.
    KneeDrachen likes this.
  6. CO303

CO303 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My helmet has 2 stickers on each side.
    1st: Helmet to be removed by trained medical personnel only!
    2nd: Previous Neck Injury!

Please keep in mind that I don't plan on hitting anything or getting hit. However, that rarely has anything to do with it.
  7. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, in trying to determine what we would do different...

Do you have limited mobility or range of motion?
    What are the current limitations?
    If you're unconscious, how is any of your criteria going to matter?

Honestly, I'm going to use the 2 person technique that we've always used and I can guarantee limited movement when we do so. If you're not breathing? I'm still going to use my training and its life over limb.
  8. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Check your insurance coverage, and updated it if you can and want. Some policies will pay for destroyed gear, above and beyond the cycle itself.

I'd be more concerned about help just arriving. Right in front of my apartment building, we had a major vehicle incident - part of the compound is built into a hillside. The buildings are ringed with a driveway which is ringed with a set of row carports. Up against a steep cut. On top, is an older commercial building, with a parking lot, a wooden fence at the end...and a drop.

A kid in a hooptie lost control, hit a phone pole, got bounced through the parking lot, through the wood fence, over the edge, dropped through the roof of the carport and on top of a big Chevy pickup parked there. Car flipped, and he was mangled, at least superficially.

Took the rescue squad (professional, not volunteer) 12 minutes (they are two miles away) to arrive. I was timing it. He was too wrapped-up in metal for anyone to give him meaningful first aid.

So if they show up, and are professional...I can deal with gear being cut off.
  9. bv11

bv11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see it isn't just the police and so many on ADV know the EMT's job better, too. If some of you could now tell what you would have differently than the fire department that one time when you saw a building fire, we will have the Public Safety Trifecta covered.
  10. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    d00d. I AM a Paramedic. And an IT/EMS Business Analyst. I’ve been doing the job for 20 years and the six years before that was a Firefighter and Search and Rescue. I currently hold certificates for Community Paramedicine, Integrated Health Programs and as a Clinic Medic. I think I’ve got the EMS angle pretty much nailed....

I’ve responded far more in this thread than others.

You... you wanna let me know what I don’t know about my job?
    KneeDrachen, phillyrube and husky390 like this.
  11. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh?
    husky390 likes this.
  12. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I think your points are all well taken, but I'd argue that EMT's wouldn't need to remember which makes/models of helmets have this feature - any of the ones I've seen with the emergency release cheek pads are clearly marked with red straps like this:
    [​IMG]

I'd think that if you see those (and it looks like they'd be in view given the two-man video posted), that they could be used. If you pull and nothing happens, no foul, just go about removing the helmet as you would normally. If you pull them and they come out, step 2 just got a lot easier, I'd think.

Of course, this is all predicated on this feature actually resulting in fewer neck/spine injuries - if there's no difference, and no difference in the speed a helmet can be removed, then I'd agree it's best to keep a single process in place.
    Iron and Arthritis likes this.
  13. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:

I got nothing to add to the original discussion.

The pic in a2ronm's post looks painful especially the left leg. Since i don't know when this happened i hope you have recovered/are recovering well.
  14. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    Thanks! 4 surgeries, 28 months under doctors care and enough titanium and stainless steel to consistantly trigger metal detectors got me walking and riding again....but I won't be out running the dead in the Zombie Apocalypse.
  15. bv11

bv11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My comment wasn't directed at EMT's, but those complaining about EMT's. I thought it was obvious.
  16. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Why would you wander into a fire station and try to tell them their job....?
    C-Stain and Bultaco206 like this.
  17. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Because the internet.
  18. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

:thumb