Enchanta

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Clampett, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Not so heavy as it is still small, but yes, slow. The little Kymco Xciting 400i had a great lean angle, pep, good mpg, quick response, ........Better than even the Swing.
    Shit we do for women :lol3, but she's worth it. Now I got a slow pig (The bike!!!!) that looks good (Spouse & Bike!!!).
    Funny how you asked that way........
    Now, had I not had several cruisers before, I might have felt totally different about the change. Past experiences have great influence on future opinions.
    Heatery likes this.
  2. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, well, we have something in common. I have a black 2010 VT1300. Got it new and still have it.
    It has about 65k miles on it now. It has been a good bike. It sits a lot now. Mostly my son rides his girlfriend two up on it.

[​IMG]

I mostly ride my FJR now.
    [​IMG]
    B10Dave and Clampett like this.
  3. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    This is 'The Pig'. Made famous by "Driving Miss Daisy". I had a girl from NJ that came to Alabama and when she saw her first Pig store, she burst into laughter. She thought it was just a name for the movie. Not so many of them around any more.
    [​IMG]
    A local baseball field. Another Mayberry type community called Alden (by Graysville, AL). Lots of memories of here.
    [​IMG]
    Growing up on a farm, I love big tractors and heavy equipment. I would love to just go out and ride one of these around the field.
    [​IMG]

Sunday morning and no one at the church. This one is in the middle of nowhere. The road used to be a major thoroughfare, but is mostly used by kids going parking now a days.
    At least it is kept up. And the cemetery is kept clean. During the 45 minutes I was on this road/taking pictures, only one old pickup came by.
    [​IMG]

Five Mile Creek bridge to Cardiff, AL. This creek is beautiful, has canoes, and fishing today but when I was a tike it was difficult just breathing the air near it. If your dog had mange, you could throw it in this creek and it'd be healed of the mange really quick :lol3 If you had athletes foot, just wade through it and you were cured. Much better and prettier today.
    [​IMG]
    Just in front of Enchanta is the town limits of this community: Cardiff
    All the old photos of this community and the one next to it show the streets full of people walking around. Today, getting the current generation off their 'puters and phones just to walk to the mailbox is a chore alone. I love going to these old towns. Stay tuned. I have an interesting one coming up.
    [​IMG]
    Lin's Crossroads. This is another small and dying community. But this particular trussle has become a popular place for riders around Alabama to come and take a photo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On another board, the tag was an out of the way eating joint. So this was the object of my ride today. It's not near anything and folks ride from near and far to eat here. To me, it isn't all that great. But it has the charm and lure. Info.
    [​IMG]
    A racetrack that is still operating, but it's haydays are gone. Sayre Speedway. I bought my first car here after a figure 8 race. It was one of the drive-able survivors and I purchased it for $35. That was a lot of grass mowing back then, but I got dad to bring it home and I used it on the farm to learn to drive. Wasn't difficult as driving a tractor :photog
    [​IMG]

Now, here is the one I said stay tuned for. You know how you go riding and just stop when you see something interesting? Well, I saw the old Studebaker truck parked here and just had to stop and take a pic. This is located about .2 miles south of the Speedway on the opposite side of the road.
    [​IMG]
    Then this guy walks out and starts toward me:
    [​IMG]
    He introduces himself as Wolfman. I kept Enchanta running as he spoke as I wasn't planning to stay longer than it took to take the pic. Turns out this was bought to be his garage/hobby. Of course when he asked if I'd like to look inside, whooooosh, I was there. This photo is worth clicking on and then zooming to full size. He has made his own personal museum and it is awesome.
    [​IMG]

In the garage:
    [​IMG]
    and since you can't fill up, you can go to the restroom and you will see this to washup: (yes, it is functional).
    [​IMG]
    Yep, a good day. Thought I was going out to grab a tag and came back with some really neat pictures and a new friend!!!!!! :clap
    BrockEvan, Amphib, Heatery and 7 others like this.
  4. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    And yes, I know. Panda just wasn't very talkative today :imaposer
    I think she was pissed coz she didn't get to go inside the old garage!!!!!
    Heatery, klaviator and B10Dave like this.
  5. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. I really enjoyed following along the CTX1300 rides as well. That's one bike that I would love to ride.....haven't seen one in person yet though.

Rob
  6. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Thanky, I do miss it. It was a great bike. But as I get older, parts of me refuse to function as before :lol3
    Funny thing is, I went back and read that whole thread yesterday. Trying to decide on investing in an action cam now.....I'll decide by spring :photog
    MYUMPH and B10Dave like this.
  7. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    An old mining community that has gone the way of the old mines. The old rusty train crossing beside the new auto bridge. Panda asked if that is it's natural color.
    [​IMG]

Kinda feels like the weather today.....
    [​IMG]

Guessing this is the kinda truck that delivered fuel back when Packard was a popular auto
    [​IMG]

Miller Steam plant. Even when you are far enough away you can't see it, you can still see the smoke. Panda wants to know if this is powered by tobacco :rofl
    [​IMG]

Panda has such a good sense of humor....she wanted to know who put all the KitKats by the tracks.
    [​IMG]

I went 1-12 but Jethro only went to the 4th :lol3
    [​IMG]

And on a serious note, all this wouldn't be possible without them. Thank you to all who served/gave all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BrockEvan, Heatery, EZMoney and 3 others like this.
  8. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    I love small town athletic fields. Always reminds me of two things. My childhood experiences and the movie Doc Hollywood.
    [​IMG]

Long lonely road.....That thread has some really good photos. I've posted a few in there. This one isn't really that long, but it still makes for a good shot me thinks....
    Plus Enchanta likes to purr along more and less of the stopping for photos while Panda loves the stop and smelling the roses activities.
    [​IMG]

Anyone up for fishing? Local tackle shop that belongs to an old friend I've not seen in about 15 years (shame on me). Enchanta ticked because I did a U-turn to get this. Panda wanted to know if this has something to do with football....
    [​IMG]

Panda thought we were going back to the Clampett homestead :lol3
    [​IMG]

This sits on a main road but no signage. Looks like it was once a beautiful building...
    [​IMG]

Yeah Panda, this is your new doctor!!!! She didn't say a word :jack
    [​IMG]

No, I didn't get the Impossible Whopper...If you could see my Dunlop, you'd know I like them kind with loads of calories. Panda wanted to know if they sold flame broiled bamboo.....
    [​IMG]

Gotta take Ying or Xing out later. They are a bit more entertaining in their antics / comments :y0!
    BrockEvan, Amphib, Heatery and 5 others like this.
  9. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas everyone. Panda & I are wishing you a wonderful holiday with your loved ones.

I went looking for nativity scenes, thinking there would be many. After a 2 hour ride,
    I decided to take a few shots of anything related to Christmas as I only found 2 nativity scenes.
    Here is one at the LDS Temple:
    [​IMG]
    and the 2nd was at the Catholic Church:
    [​IMG]
    I decided to take any photo even remotely associated with Christmas since I wasn't having much luck.
    The Cross in Gardendale:
    [​IMG]
    A couple of residential photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brookside Alabama Museum of History:
    [​IMG]
  10. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Lots of liquid sunshine lately. Cricks and branches are flowin' with water. The hills be weeping.
    Ying likes to go play near the water:
    [​IMG]

Old mines were closed but when they fill with water, it bursts out in random places:
    Panda gets downrite corncerned 'bout Ying playing them thar near dangerous places.
    [​IMG]
    Ying climbs up near the mine opening:
    Can ya see 'er? She be sucha tiny bitty creature.
    [​IMG]
    Here she goes playing in a bit safer place. During the summer I have to watch out for water moccasins. This time of year I just have to make sure she don't catch a cold :lol3
    [​IMG]
    This is the Five Mile Creek which is where all those above flow to.
    Long drop so Ying just holds on to the fairing. Yeah, I'm skeered of hites too.
    [​IMG]
  11. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Tastes like Chicken:
    Lunch and I didn't have to share with the vegetarian :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One too many in the area so one went out of business:
    [​IMG]
  12. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Everyone like old cars, right? Even Ying enjoys climbing around on 'em. Enchanta says that looking at old cars for her is probably the same as us looking at old people.
    I wonder if Ying climbing around on the old car feels like grandkids climbing around on grandpa? 1954 Chevy 210??? (Some of you know your cars better can correct me).
    [​IMG]
    Ying & Panda thought this was Elwood and Ying just had to sit in his lap:
    [​IMG]
    Railroad Museum in Helena Alabama:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Time to eat at The Depot Cafe & Grill in Helena:
    [​IMG]
    and behind me as I was taking the cafe pic was the old caboose and yet another playground for Ying:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And Ying took a selfie with the historic marker @ the caboose. I don't know how she keeps getting my phone :hmmmmm
    [​IMG]
  13. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Some of you with better auto knowledge than me can correct me (I edited the above post too) but isn't the old car pictured above a 1954 Chevy 210.
    Inquiring minds ........
    klaviator likes this.
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I had a 1952 two-door long before I was driving. My dad bought it for me as a kid to take all apart and learn about mechanics. The plan was when I was licenced in a couple of years we'd restore it. It had a 235 inline 6 with a 3 on the tree. The back seat was a tremendous make out emporium. :D It looked a lot like that.
    klaviator likes this.
  15. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Memories, sweeten through the ages........
    klaviator and RedDogAlberta like this.
  16. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Relics of a bygone era:
    Area called North Birmingham. 50 years ago it was the place to go for banking, furniture, schools, nice homes, and restaurants.
    Today it is a shell of it's once former glory.
    Old church in North Birmingham
    [​IMG]

Abandoned train engines in North Birmingham/Tarrant, AL
    [​IMG]

Another abandoned business in North Birmingham
    [​IMG]
    Abandoned North Birmingham school.
    [​IMG]

Another abandoned business: (Intentional using my hand to block the sun glare)
    [​IMG]

An old business that has survived....and had a really nice mural on the wall!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Continued riding from previous posts in North Birmingham. Continuing on Hwy 31 N there are more abandoned businesses as they have either closed or moved closer to the interstate I65.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's not doom/gloom, but just a shift in locations. The areas that used to be the places to go are now like ghost towns while areas that were country side and fields are now full of big businesses and strip malls.
  18. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Ya can't tell from the photos, but it was a windy day. We were having gusts up to 30mph.
    Sitting at the red lights, I'd be flopping side to side. :muutt

Good tire shop that is very old business. Young guy back in the shop is a rider. No m/c shops anywhere around and he will mount our tires for $10 cash. No receipt and no questions.
    Even will mount darkside for us.
    [​IMG]
    Back around 2003 there was a record flood that wiped out many homes, businesses, and city buildings in Brookside. Most of the buildings are vacant.
    A few homes were salvaged by the owners. 100% of the city buildings and businesses were ruined. Here is one of the 2 left still standing, but is no usable.
    [​IMG]
    The beautiful old bridge that was replace (located just to the left of the above deserted gas station).
    [​IMG]
    And last is our beautiful local community center.
    [​IMG]
    The Virginian, Heatery, jwwr and 6 others like this.
  19. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Don't know what's got into me, but I've been focusing on old deserted/abandoned buildings lately. Nostalgia I recon.
    Some of them I remember when they were open back when I was a youngster......you know, back when I was actually how old I feel.
    This is from a little town that used to have a bit more action. Mulga Alabama. Just to the right was the USPS which was pretty busy.
    Ying didn't want to go in...she thought it was a bordello :photog
    [​IMG]
    across the street:
    [​IMG]
    This is Main Street in Adamsville, Alabama. Several vacant businesses but some city workers pulled up on each side of me and that restricted my viewing area.
    [​IMG]
    Across Hwy 78 was an old business that is still open. A recycling business. Even had a public toilet :imaposer
    [​IMG]
    I just had to take this shot because of the name......It's a small community just outside of Burnwell, Alabama
    Ying: "Where's the red trucks?"
    [​IMG]
    Burnwell again. I guess this would be a double failure. Failed as a service station then as a bait shop:(
    [​IMG]
    Convenience/produce store in Dora
    [​IMG]
    3 more in Dora. Ying thinking we were there for a picnic :jack
    [​IMG]
    And the old Mining Museum with Ying trying to get a better view of the train:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I feel for these communities with so many businesses finished. My mother has a winter place in Cocoa Beach, FL and I'm always astonished by the closed and boarded up places and abandoned houses they can't sell. Closed car dealerships, half-empty malls on Merritt Island. I see nothing like that here. I'm American and I worry.

In spite of this, I'm enjoying your adventures.