Enchanta

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Clampett, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    A short ride today. Back in February, our gov (Link to Govenors Flickr page for the event) dedicated this "Freedom Bridge" in honor of our vets.
    Located in the middle of nowhere(SE of Oneonta) Alabama: 33.8624, -86.4425
    [​IMG]
    norton73, B10Dave, NxtGoRnd and 5 others like this.
  2. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Out running an errand today and saw that this community (about 10 miles from me) had repainted their water tower since my last visit. Really pretty blue.
    [​IMG]
    klaviator, B10Dave, EZMoney and 2 others like this.
  3. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Killing time out getting tags the past few days.
    An alternate gate to the Tuskegee Air base.
    [​IMG]
    And as per my favorite hobby, another old abandoned business in a small town. This one is in Trafford, AL.
    [​IMG]
    North of Trafford is a community called County Line. On 2 wheels, its a short trip, but if you cage it, you have to go about 15 miles to go around this non-maintained bridge. It's a shame the county lets these go.
    [​IMG]
    Approaching Guntersville, Alabama from the south. This is a small downhill coming into the city. Starting about here, you can smell the fishy waters of the lake. It's a beautiful area to ride.
    [​IMG]
    Kennamer Trading Post. I've not seen this place open. A sign out front says it can be rented for special events. Just north of Grant, Alabama.
    [​IMG]
    In Blountsville, this is the Blountsville Historical Park. They have moved several of the original structures from the first settlers in the area to this one location.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    and finally I arrive at the tag location, take the pic. But no cell signal. I drive back about 15 miles, pull out the phone only to find I was Bruced!!!!! But Hwy 65 heading north into Tenn is one beautiful ride.
    [​IMG]

The ride today was a really spectacular ride for scenery. I was riding with another biker who doesn't like to stop and smell the roses like Panda, so we didn't get as many pics as we'd like. But, there's always next time.
  4. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Haven't been riding much as my butt is getting more & more sore with each ride. Seems my tailbone just don't like this seat.
    I ordered an Airpad seat and tried it out when I went to get a tag in north Alabama. Beautiful site, but since it was on private property,
    I didn't feel right going up to the formation without someone there giving the ok, so I let Ying do a selfie :lol3
    [​IMG]
    These airpads don't need much air. Looks flat and still can fill the air when I sit on it. But it still didn't give me the relief I wanted/needed.
    Come home and got on the net. Mustang said 6-8 weeks if I ordered a seat on their website. Revzilla was out.
    Went to Ultimate X website. They said 6 weeks.
    I emailed Ultimate and they still said 6 weeks.
    Well, I was told Dennis Kirk had one in stock. Went to their website and bingo. Said they could have here in 4 days, free shipping.
    Panda says it feels good to her butt too. You wouldn't know it by her face!!!! I think this was a returned seat. The plastic bags that the seat
    were shipped in, had been opened from the opposite end that is closed with the bread tie. I checked it out all the way around and underneath.
    Looked and felt ok.
    [​IMG]
    Started to sprinkle as I took the above pic. That's ok. When it rains, I usually doodle around since riding ain't fun in rain. It's ok if it starts raining after I'm out, but I just don't want to start in the rain.
    I know. You get wet either way, but that's just my weird logic. Anywho, I previously tinkered around on a rainy day and made me a new DIY hard waterproof roll bag.
    Brother had an old orange Igloo watercooler sitting out by his junk pile. I asked him if I could have it. Yep.
    Took out the spigot and put a plastic plug in it's place. Scratched up the surface a bit with fine sandpaper so paint would stick. Krylon plastic paint, black.
    Spray on contact adhesive around the middle section. Then covered it with tool drawer liner and let it dry.
    Next day, put 2 eye hooks so I could attach it to the bike. Put a Rokstrap attached to the hooks and viola, abracantanterous, and a wave of the divining rod. One more magic word to finish
    it: Pretzel and Bob's in your aunts favorite jar above the fireplace.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Previously while being in the doghouse, er I mean tinkering 'cause of rain, I upgraded the cockpit for long distance traversing.
    Got my imitation GoPro, my waterproof Garmin (well, it is when I use a ziploc), and 2 12v outlets.
    One on the left is hooked through the SAE/Battery Tender plug, so is good for GPS, phone, and charging the extra camera batteries.
    The one on the right of the GPS is 15 amp and is good enough to power my air compressor.
    Ah yes, you sharp eyed devils noticed the extra buttons strapped to the left grip. That is a remote for the camera.
    Don't know if'n any of ya have tried this, but I've found I like honey in my water. So the all essential cup holder carriers bottled water
    with a little honey. Think I'm ready for a long trip. Just can't go where they want to self lock up for 14 days every time you cross a state line.

[​IMG]
    Now, I'm just hankering to hear some feedback about my roll bag :photog
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    The roll bag looks good. So does the seat. I'm still fiddling with an Air Hawk seat pad.
    The Virginian and Clampett like this.
  6. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I am really loving the Shadow pics. It really makes me miss mine. I really like the colors on yours.

Not sure if you have seen my new addition yet or not. My son traded a $400 rifle for a GZ250. Anyway when he decided to go bigger and get a Shadow 1100 I just could not let the GZ leave the garage. So for $400 I bought it from him. Man this tiny thing is fun.

904FB9AD-C6C8-49D4-852D-7E696CCF3C26.jpeg 3551A0F6-D0EA-4A08-82CD-DA5FD1B747F0.jpeg

Attached Files:

NxtGoRnd, klaviator, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  7. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Haven't done much of anything the past week or so. Slacker I am, nothing I do. Rode her yesterday to a friends house to reset their router. 8 miles one way. And watching motorcycle videos on YT. Lazy Azz lately.
    Takes a few days to get caught up around the farm with the grass, field, kudzu, fence line, and weed eating a large hill (2 days on that). Then I check tags for destinations and that's usually when I take most photos.
    I got a long newsfeed here to catchup on. Mostly you and the Virginian.
    That bike is a nice color too. I don't blame ya for keeping it for that price. Chain looks like she has been sitting to much.
    I haven't looked yet, but it looks like you may be playing tag games too? Good photos.
    So, this is gonna be your therapy bike now?
    1100 shadow for your son eh? Gas guzzlers but that engine feels good on the freeway. Something I think you and I mostly avoid :lol3
    Thanks for waking me up.......looking forward to seeing more shots of that bike.
  8. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Yep, it needs a new chain. Its a 1999 with only about 3,500 miles on it. So the chain is definitely not worn out but does have some rust spots on it. I will probably change it and attempt a carb rebuild sometime soon. I have it and the BMW RT right now.

3637794B-A1F2-4B42-B635-D623C92E04BD.jpeg C83DB3BA-F56E-4DDE-88A1-ADD820B3D0D9.jpeg
  9. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Love that first pic. The contrast, the leaves, it just looks good. You know I like old buildings, deserted/abandoned building photos with bikes.
    Son's bike has a beautiful color scheme. Looks like it lost a concho on the seat.
    Tomorrow I gotta go to the body shop. I clipped a car at wally world right after bragging to my wife that I'd not had an accident in 30 years.
    She has rubbed it in bad.....salt in the wound hahaha.

I've been searching for mag wheels for my Aero, but haven't had any luck. $2300 for a new set!!!!!!! With my luck, I'd find a used set the day after buying new ones.
    klaviator and sealsam like this.
  10. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thankya kindly for this ramble, Clampett - a walk down memory lane for this ol' boy too. Used to travel through that region as a kid visiting family, me in the back seat sitting on something extra to see out. Love those old buildings & great architecture, the pace & ease of the era they were new. It'd be nice if good folks find, restore & repopulate those places. Now that telecommuting is a thing, I wonder if there's hope for that. Thanks again for the tours.
    The Virginian, sealsam and Clampett like this.
  11. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    A run of bad luck lately. Damaged roof in Sunday's storm. High deductible $$. :photog
    On Saturday, a truck with trailer pulled out in front of me in Wally World parking lot going the wrong way in one way lane.
    Smaller deductible. And front porch steps need repair. Waiting for the contractor to give an estimate. I need therapy.
    So, I go get therapy. Where to go?

Another small rural town. I love these places. The people are more curious and friendly. They are also more talkative.
    Anywho, I visited Cordova, Alabama today.
    I love the old buildings. I saw on Gmaps that the old grocery store was abandoned but the sign was still readable.
    So I go. Sadly, it has weathered and is completely unreadable now. Located right behind the post office.
    It used to say "Cordova Grocery" . You can see the faint outline of the sign/banner.
    [​IMG]
    Ah, yes. Some of you are gonna say something, so I'll go ahead and address it. Panda. She has the CV. She is staying home and is on a stuffalator.
    Brown Bear was reluctant to begin with, but as you can see, she is enjoying the ride and the beautiful blue skies.

I've taken shots of the Piggly Wiggly stores before, but I had to take this one too. It is so cute for a grocery store.
    [​IMG]
    I don't remember the one in Driving Ms Daisy as being this cute. Small community but there are 4 churches within my view from this point.
    But this one was the only one worthy of the Clampett small community badge of approval photo op.
    [​IMG]

Small businesses in small communities are dying. When I see one that looks like it is still going strong, it just does my old heart good. Cedar House Boutique.
    [​IMG]
    Broke BB's heart when I told her they didn't have T's for Bears. She really liked that Tie Dye shirt hanging in the window.
    Well, ya know football is a big part of life in the south (Roll Tide). Here they have the Blue Devils. They have a long history with the team.
    The sign at the entrance to the school. The sign has video and the camera couldn't get the sign between flickers and scrolls.
    [​IMG]
    and the entrance to the gladiator sport arena:
    [​IMG]
    The RR tracks and old iron bridge at the edge of town: (train tracks and steam trains always make the think of James Garner & Support your Local Gunfighter).
    [​IMG]
    On the return trip home, I spotted this abandoned building that looked like a small castle. Food? Restaurant? No idea, but that's what it makes me think of.
    [​IMG]
    A short way further, a road side oddity: Yeah, it's a giant gear, but makes me think of a water wheel.
    [​IMG]
    A beautiful day. Few clouds but hot. Riding the small road with trees casting shadows along my path gave me more pleasure. BB & Enchanta were happy as I at the opportunity to go for a day ride.
  12. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear the bad run of luck lately... :(
  13. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric. Not as bad as some. At least my bad luck didn't end me in hospital or result with a friend doing a fly/ride to get me going again.
    klaviator and The Virginian like this.
  14. cbolling

Oddometer:
    I bought the Star

2C70E370-11A0-4AE4-9C60-0AED1D144E32.jpeg
    The Virginian, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  15. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    @cbolling
    I was just about to PM you.....
    She is a beauty. Waiting for you to start a thread just for her. Name her yet?
    Treat those bags at least once a year (I did mine one a month) to keep 'em looking good.
    Not much left you can do to her. Cup holder :lol3
    And seriously a fender extension on front or a mud flap.
    Anxiously waiting for some day ride photos.
    Again, beautiful!!!!
    Oh, and congrats.
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  16. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Just got finished taking the windshield, leg shield, and hand shields off. It’s just too hot and humid in South Carolina for all that. Some of it will go back on around Thanksgiving but for now I am going to enjoy the breeze.

I am the 3rd owner. The 2nd owner had it for 2.5 years and only put 114 miles on it. Crazy. When I pulled out of his driveway the fuel light came on. I bet he never even put any gas in it. It ran just fine the 100 mile ride back home last night. So in one trip I equaled his entire mileage. Battery died in the driveway last night. I could not crank it to show my boys when I got home. No big deal it was an 8 year old battery that has just been sitting. So I got a new battery this morning. It runs great so I guess the old gas was no big deal. Thank god for fuel injection. Bike only has 4200 miles on it and looks like it came off the showroom floor yesterday.
    klaviator, MYUMPH, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  17. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Clampett...what did you treat the bags with?
  18. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Mink oil
    cbolling likes this.
  19. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Visited Morris, AL today. Used to have antique car & bike shows in this small town in their park. Those days are gone. I circled the park and 2 officers were exiting the police station next to city hall.
    Oh no, stopped by the chief for no helmet for my pillion!
    [​IMG]
    Brown Bear just smiled and kept saying yes sir and got off with a warning.....whewwwwwww. (Chief Nazarchyk was super friendly)

Across the street was the old Pay Less drug store which had another name before that (I'm getting old and forgetful).
    [​IMG]
    New drug store built to the left, but who cares about new buildings?
    Wellness Center directly across from City Hall....well, a small park placed between them.
    [​IMG]
    Woooohooooo, who remembers the old skating rinks. Everyone knew everyone that came in. Place to go on a date. Show off your skillz (or lack thereof).
    Break a few arms, bruise a few legs, bump a few heads, and go back next week!!! And creaky wooden floors. Those were the days. You can even get free athletes foot from the rental skates, just for the price of entry.
    [​IMG]

Just another sunny, hot, & humid day in Sweet Home Alabama (Roll Tide. If you ain't an Alabama fan then offense is intended hahahaha)
  20. jwwr

jwwr Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My guess would be a Bingo Hall. Several years ago there were Bingo Halls all over the area, really popular. The Attorney General considered it gambling and eventually shut them all down. There are more buildings like that on hwy 13 in Eldridge close to I-22. Really enjoy your report!
    [​IMG]