Enchanta

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Clampett, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    A ride to Marion, Alabama today. Partly cloudy and a bit on the warm side. Destination is Moore Webb Holmes Plantation.
    Admission was closed due to CV, which I expected. I parked across the road at the old grocer/gas station.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Off to the left behind the store was the bell tower:
    [​IMG]
  2. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Across the road, only part of the plantation was visible from the fence:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Near Payne Lake, I saw this and pulled off to take the photo. I would have gotten closer, but I noticed the sign that says private property and said "<family name> lives here."
    So, I just took the shot from the road. It was very unique looking.
    [​IMG]
    The Sawmill near Centreville. It has been 25 years since I last ate there. My memory ain't what it used to be, but I remember it as being scrumptious.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just a bit further down from the Sawmill was this beautiful landscaped property. Again, it was private and I did the best I could from the road.
    [​IMG]
    Edit: I forgot my usual vacant/abandoned building. This one is in Centreville.
    [​IMG]
    B10Dave, NxtGoRnd and klaviator like this.
  4. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Hay bailing time...the smell of fresh cut hay. The crows coming out to chase the field mice as they get disturbed. A snake or two trying to keep from being bailed up.
    Rabbits running to get away from the tractor.
    Soon, one of these will be unrolled and put on a wagon for the kids in the community to have a hay ride. Pumpkins will be gathered and carved.
    The heat will be replaced by the cool frosty air. Candy will be bought and prepared for Halloween.
    The bright green leaves will be replaced by the brightly colored leaves of death as they prepare to sleep until next Spring.
    [​IMG]
    And the only bears to be seen are the friendly ones hitching rides on Enchanta:
    [​IMG]
    Only a few bails remaining to be gathered in this field. The shade is a welcome spot for stopping.
    [​IMG]
    Neighbor (recently passed) of mine wanted to build a bridge like the scenic Japanese style. This is what he came up with. He wanted something he and the grandkids could play and sit around in the warmer weather.
    Now no one uses it, but we all remember him building it.
    [​IMG]
    NxtGoRnd, klaviator and B10Dave like this.
  5. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Boarded up church in Sayre, AL. Not even any signage left. Looks like someone has been keeping the grass cut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Abandoned building in Corner, AL. Remember when there were auto-mechanics in every small town.....Just like Gomer and Goober :photog
    [​IMG]
    Many years ago, there was a trike parked in front of this store. I always planned to stop there and find out who owned it. Now it is gone and the store is closed......
    [​IMG]
    As I finished taking the shot of the store, I started to pull out and directly across the road was this beauty. It started sprinkling a little rain, but I didn't melt.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I know what you thinking....not really a good picture. How about this one? I thought it was a model 70, but they have the vertical grill. This must be about a 1940's model H. Missing the pulley cover.
    I did a net search and believe that is what it is. Several of the photos online show the extended axle. No idea what for....dully wheel set up or ???? Looks like when it was parked, it wasn't intended to be left.
    The exhaust is covered. Antique looking for a museum or showcase to park in.
    [​IMG]
    NxtGoRnd, klaviator and popscycle like this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Extended axle is so wheels can be moved in or out to conform to crop row spacing when cultivating. Different crops can be planted with different row spacing. Enjoying your pics.
    norton73, NxtGoRnd and klaviator like this.
  7. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Thanks (x2). I learn something again.
    NxtGoRnd and klaviator like this.
  8. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Tried to take some time lapse video today and after sitting for 1.5 hours, discovered the camera was still in photo mode and just got one picture.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the one good photo I did get:
    [​IMG]
  9. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Sports and home improvement centers have been covered up since CV started. I had to wait 2 weeks to get Enchanta's new shoes.
    Usually I call and 3 days later, i'm in.
    Maybe I could have gone another 300 miles.....maybe not...maybe more....but....
    [​IMG]
    Still plenty of tread on the sides. I'm slow going. Still got almost 8k miles out of OEM tires which is what I usually get (or less). Was passed the wear bars and that was enough for me.
    [​IMG]
    Pulled up to my favorite MC shop: Bay door one waiting .....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you can't read the sign, here's a close up :photog
    [​IMG]
    Entered Bay door one. Enchanta up on the lift (Brown Bear is afraid of heights. Never would survive in the wild!) While it's up there, go ahead and change the oil and final drive. Thank you very much.
    She looks cute even without her shoes on. Oh, Brown Bear say "I ain't fraid of no heights, I'm checking the oil draining...."
    [​IMG]
    Enchanta with her new Michelin Commander II's
    [​IMG]
    The rear stock size wasn't available, so got the next one up. Can't feel any difference in height. But the speedo now shows less than what's on the GPS or phone. Before they matched. Now the speedo reads 35 vs GPS 36
    and 55 vs 57 GPS. So now my MPG will actually be higher than what I'll be showing.:clap I'll have to check odo against the GPS and some mile markers to see what the new difference (if any) actually is.
    I've been averaging 60 mpg. I shift at the recommended shift speeds most of the time, a little higher if going uphill. Most of the riders on the Shadow forum claim they only get 45-55. Sounds like spastic right hands to me.
    Anyhoo, the ride home was smooth. New shoes always feel good. Difficult to remember exactly how they were when new.
    New helmet, a Daytona cruiser, is supposed to arrive today. Looking forward to getting out and doing some LD riding and some tags again. Been afeared of riding too far from the Enchantarosa and being stranded.
    Could still happen, but not from worn out shoes!!!!.
    norton73, Nicknewb, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  10. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Sorry to butt into your thread again.:lol3 I really should start another one of my own but I am just to lazy.:photog

I got rid of the V Star 950 this weekend. I just didn’t like it. It was just too cramped and had horrible lean angles. Anyway, after a spur of the moment decision I headed from South Carolina to Nashville, TN to grab a 2014 Honda CB1100.
    1841E221-BC04-4050-9BD2-B7B78B5FDA55.jpeg BE541080-2B5C-4DBB-984D-D599B20A909A.png
    klaviator likes this.
  11. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    That is a kewl bike. Kinda getting bigger each time you get another one. While the bike is good, I just never figured this styling for you. More laid back style, the kind you stop with every time you see something that looks nice and take a photo and have a look see.
    This might fit you, but that was just my perception of you from reading your posts and when you seemed happier.
    But, I've assumed!!!! things before. Prove me wrong Chad. It's been a few months now that you have been like a fish out of water.
    After reading your posts about the new bike and posting additional photos, I hope to see the old spark back.
    The way you take photos and talk about her will tell the tell. And I don't think you are lazy(starting a new thread). You just haven't been inspired!!!!!
    If this is the marshmallow in your chocolate drink then I'm here to congratulate and look forward to you getting active posting something besides tag photos. :jack
    B10Dave and klaviator like this.
  12. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Took a ride today and tried to dodge the rain. Hit 2 showers but didn't even stop for the rain suits. Brother riding on his C50 and doesn't like to smell the roses, so to speak, so not many pics.
    Heading north out of Birmingham, I saw this new mural. It is on a building on a church property. Panda was happy to get out too. She was getting cabin fever (or is that Covid Fever?)
    [​IMG]
    Talapoosa Georgia. We stopped and bought some lotto tickets, cashed in the ones I had for $4.00. Then started a different route back home. Took a lot of photos here with my CTX(My Girl), so didn't take any other than the post office
    for documenting that Enchanta has been here also.
    [​IMG]
    Just west of Anniston is this little park. The creek is only about a foot deep. Good place for family, kids, picnic, and other outdoor gatherings. The bridge to the right is US Hwy 78.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Great day to ride. Not to hot, lots of clouds, a few showers, and only one down pour for about 3 minutes.
    rascalman, klaviator and B10Dave like this.
  13. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    How'd I miss this thread?

Great stuff, you give some great insights into the local area and places I need to visit. Hopefully once it cools down a little, the local tags games will pick up.
    klaviator likes this.
  14. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was just talking with my bride about the tag. She asked me if I was going to get it. Not sure. South of Montgomery just isn't good riding. BUT there is good scenery and photo ops.
    Have been ordering and setting up video equipment too. Seems that ain't my cup of tea. I'm still trying, but I think photos are my niche.
    New shoes need some miles!
    B10Dave, norton73 and klaviator like this.
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clampett; you seem to be very much like me.....an analogue guy in a digital world.
    Clampett likes this.
  16. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Been studying on improving my video skeeeels. Went out testing cameras today. I really don't like the GoPro form. I had already bought 2. Decided to give one to my neighbor and keep one as a back up for my just ordered Ghost X. As I've come to find that a camera, no matter how good it is, is no good if you don't use it. Another example was my point and shoot camera. It was great for scooter use, but not on a bike with a clutch. So since I have to stop to get good photos, I just use my phone.
    And here is today's photos from my 4 hour ride.
    Coming into Oakman, Alabama I spied an old tractor sitting off to the side of the road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Right 'bout the city limits of Oakman, was this old abandoned store. You know from my previous posts, I love to take photos of these old buildings. No signage or indication of what it was before.
    [​IMG]
    Took this just because of the name:
    [​IMG]
    Veteran's Memorial in Oakman:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I saw this historic marker as I went through Berry, Alabama and pulled over. I looked all around for the building that it must belong to. Then I walked over and read it. Marker for something that is no more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Off to my right was some old buildings. I could see them behind the new buildings of the main street. I did a U-turn and pulled down the small side street to take a shot of the old pharmacy.
    [​IMG]
    The main street is to the left. Then I see the mural. Wow. It is on the back of the building where it can not be seen from the street. Really nice.
    [​IMG]
    Some really nice sites/treasures when you look around in small towns.......
    popscycle, klaviator and norton73 like this.
  17. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Next is Bankston, Alabama. Not much to see here. The post office has been replaced by a store to the right. One of those Village Post Offices, they call it. You can mail packages in flat rate boxes, buy stamps, and that's just about it.
    [​IMG]
    A community named Stough, still part of Bankston, this old abandoned gas station. A dog started barking and I couldn't see it. He was hiding behind the pallets in the shed on the right side. Talked to him and he gave that little shy look, like "You talking to me?"
    Couldn't get a pic of him. Looked like a pitt. Panda just stuck her tongue out at him and then ignored him.
    [​IMG]
    Rolled into Fayette, Alabama.
    I'm ignoring any of you who think there is anything betterer than southern BBQ. The best is those on the roadside cooked in those recycled chemical barrels :beer
    [​IMG]
    Any of you varmits every eat biscuits and syrup for breakfast. I can remember when we had it almost every morning. We thought it was a staple of the food groups. Funny how you could be poor and think you was better than everyone else.
    Anyhoo, Golden Eagle(made here) was sweet and a beautiful gold. Mix a little butter with it and sop it up with homemade biscuits. Stick to your ribs, fatten ya up, and no one would know you didn't have a whole turkey or chicken every day.
    [​IMG]
    Across the street was more murals. I was told that this place used to be called Frog Level before 2 name changes made it Fayette.
    [​IMG]
    Another mural on the chamber of commerce.
    [​IMG]
    The old train depot:
    [​IMG]
    A close up of the historic marker telling about the name change and a bit more history.
    [​IMG]
    Looks like I gotta go back sometime. I'm missing the back side of the marker :(
    Another almost hidden mural spied as I rode around the different streets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Last 2 pics for the day. These were in Townley, Alabama.
    Looks like 2 abandoned shops.
    [​IMG]
    Parked off behind these building on the far right was this fire truck. Appeared to be pretty good shape. I reckon they didn't have a fire station or at least I didn't see it.
    [​IMG]
    Anyhoo, enjoyed see the small towns, taking pics and social distancing motorcycle style.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your day trips Clampett. Keep 'em comin'.
    Clampett likes this.
  20. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Took a trip today back to Helena (Where the Blues Brother display was before). I a video this time with my new Ghost X. Rode around for about 4 hours.
    Condensed it to about 11 minutes. Just one video for test purposes. I'm not so good at them. My phone and unplanned photos are still my favorite.
    Take a look you don't mind a day trip video.
    B10Dave likes this.