Enclosed trailer as long-term bike storage

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tellicotom, Jul 11, 2020.

1. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, looking at storing a couple of WR250Rs in an enclosed trailer in a self-storage area behind my pickup camper for the period on November till March in the Summit County or Kremmling area.

What are your thoughts both from a bike condition in storage to a security perspective? Anyone ever done it?

Thanks,
    Tom
  2. csw1742

csw1742 Black Diamonds Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tom,
    I kept two KDX's and a F 800 in my 7' x 14' for nearly three years as a "garage". I was living in a 5th wheel at the time so it worked great as I would leave the state ( Idaho ) for a few months at a time, returning to ride then leave again.
    I didn't have to be concerned about the humidity as maybe you but I did keep two "Damp Rid" bags hanging inside just in case... The biggest problem was mice. 100% seal up the trailer cause they love wiring and foam !!
    Beyond that, normal storage procedures apply. I used those disk locks on all latches as they leave little to grab hold of with bolt cutters. Cordless angle grinders...not much stopping those except a well placed .308 round....
    Trailer worked great for me.

Good luck !
  3. HydroDog

HydroDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Tom,
    I have two bikes that I store in a 7x14’ cargo trailer. Fully insulated, carpeted, has a single roof vent and it has a side scoop up high on one side and one down low on the other side if trailering it keeps a flow though the trailer, these are always open.
    In Washington, the bikes will sweat in the winter. I plug in a oil filled heater to stop the sweating on the bikes. Even in Tennessee I would look at putting a Solar powered fan in the roof vent to keep the air moving.
  4. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I plan to use it near Kremmling, Colorado...
  5. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Run them on Startron so that the tank has it in there. Drain the carbs. Put extra air in tires so they don't go totally flat. Arm & Hammer baking soda boxes 3/4 of them. Take + side battery cables loose and move them away from battery. Mice are the biggest problem. Before you fire them back up make sure no mice living in airbox. They love Twin Air foam BTW. Hitch pin lock on lever is helpful as is receiver lock. ADT stickers on trailer...
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe a couple of larger bags of moisture absorbent.
  7. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I've had a trailer disappear from a locked storage yard ! About $ 40 G
    Now I use two of the trailer wheel clam shell locking devises . ( Etrailer.com)
    And I am looking for a tracking device to keep in my new trailer , which I keep two bikes stored in .

Max
  8. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    There's probably 100 people storing their snowmobiles in trailers as you describe in Kremmling. Don't worry about the moisture; Colorado's humidity is very low in the winter as long as the trailer doesn't leak you'll be fine. Good advice here from Maxvert on locking the trailer. If it's in a secure storage lot you'll be less at risk from thieves, but still get a good LOCK. Bikes and trailers get stolen ALL the time. We have so many transients and tourists coming through here by the time you learn your stuff has been stolen it could be 1000 miles away.
  9. Tony K

Tony K going somewhere

Oddometer:
    Take a wheel and lug nuts off trailer and store inside. This makes it hard for thieves. They don't like HARD.
    careycsg, flei and Branchbuster like this.
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I think I'd block the thing and take both wheels off. Depending on the crime area, may as well take the axle off too. I wouldn't store it inside the trailer.