End of my rope: Super Tenere windshield turbulence

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dietDrThunder, Apr 26, 2016.

1. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm getting desperate. I recently bought a 2012 S10. I've got a stock screen, a +4" V Stream screen, and I just bought a Power Bronze short/sport screen. In addition, I have a Touratech adjustable screen mount. Despite my nearly infinite number of options in height, angle, and coverage, all I can seem to accomplish is variation in equally unbearable noise or turbulence, or both.

My priority is quiet and smooth air, rather than coverage. I have ordered a pair of the fairing-attached wind deflectors, but I'm not optimistic that these will have much of an effect in the smoothness factor. I'm thinking my next purchase will be an MRA clamp-on adjustable wing thingy, and if that doesn't work, I have no idea what to do. It's bad, as in, if I can't fix this, I will sell the bike and buy something else kind of bad. I bought it primarily for LD touring and rallies, so I'm not willing to overlook this fun-robbing aspect of an otherwise amazingly great bike.

I'm 6'3 with a 32" inseam. If anyone who shares my dimensions can share a potential solution, I'm all ears. I love the bike enough that I'm willing to try a nearly infinite number of screen options if I think there is a good option to be found.

One thing I saw was that the Madstad adjustable bracket appears to provide for a significantly higher mount than the Touratech model, so this would afford an opportunity to try a whole new set of options with the screens that I have.

Anyway, I know that windshield threads are approaching oil thread proportions, but all of the searching I've done only reveals a bunch of random 'screen x is the best' posts. I'd love to hear from anyone who has struggled like I have, and how they solved the issue.
    Alexander B likes this.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Kinda surprising it's that bothersome. Not common with this bike. I'd get the madstad up front before the rest. Then add the widest shield.
  3. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    I was also getting buzzed...
    MRA X-screen.
    Madstat adjuster.
    Cee Baileys side wings.

Calmed the cockpit down to goldwing levels.
  4. MurphCO

MurphCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the madstad bracket and the 20" windshield on my 2012 Tenere

I am 6' 3" and I preferred it all the way forward and straight up and down, that gave me a perfect bubble, I suggest you get the bracket first and adjust that around to see what works best for you. Some guys had luck with the bracket and the original windshield.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.3189/.f
  5. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Madstad all the way! I am 6' with a 32" inseam and it made a massive difference on my Victory. I was truly amazed at the difference.
  6. 2WheelsOnly

2WheelsOnly Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Yamaha side winglets help prevent turbulence around the side of the windshield.
  7. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with the MRA clamp on "wing thing" mounted on a stock windshield. It allows me to ride with my face shield up with no wind buffeting. Bonus was the improved riding conditions for my pillion.
  8. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Even just reading these early responses, I'm thinking that I might go with a Madstad mount, and an MRA clamp on wing. With these, the Touratech mount, and three screens, surely I should at _least_ be able to figure out which direction I need to go.

You know, the most annoying thing about this was that the shorty sport screen was meant to be sort of a white flag. I figured 'oh well, I guess at least I can get smooth air even if I don't have much protection' and whadaya know, I did lose protection, but it's still roaringly loud...was very disappointing.
  9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  10. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    I haven't left my driveway without -32db plugs (the pink/yellow jobbers) in 25 years. Also before anyone brings it up (and I know it needs to be brought up often), I do know how to use them. In fact, just this past weekend I had to use needle nose pliers to get one out :) So you all know, I'm not going for silence here. I'm getting a roar like I've never experienced, ever. I just posted this on the Tenere forum...went for about a 40 min ride this afternoon, and despite my ear plugs, my ears are ringing still as I type this. I've never experienced anything like this.

I'll definitely check out the Tobinator. Thanks!
    Alexander B likes this.
  11. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    Madstad + largest V-stream + OEM air deflectors = Cocoon of solitude for me. I'm 6'1" with 32" inseam and listen to music (not turned up loud) clearly with this set up. As others have stated, start with the Madstad, it makes the most difference. I tried the OEM stock screen, OEM "Tall" screen, Cal-Sci, Parabellum, and NC V-Stream and the V-stream worked out the best for me. Both OEM screens were unbearable.
  12. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Are you looking through, or over the screen? Thanks for the info.
  13. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    Looking over. I can't stand looking through a screen. I have mine tilted pretty far towards me, using the Madstad. I think this is one of the best ways to kill turbulence. The closer your head is to the screen, the less potential for turbulence.
  14. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winglet things first and foremost. They really work.

Tall Parabellum screen on a madstat and it is perfect for me but really I think with the wings and madstat you can get good flow with whatever screen you choose.

Good luck!
  15. ABBlender

ABBlender Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's everyone using for seat height?..I have the MRA x-creen with madstad bracket and it's good, but not perfect when seat is in the high position. If on low, it's great. I am 6'.
    The problem with low seat is my knees cramp up a bit.
  16. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    I am 6'4" tall and run a MadStad, 24" Parabellum, and Yamaha winglets on my Super Tenrere...plenty smooth and quiet. I run the windshield all the way down and slightly tipped back from vertical. The winglets are a must and really calm things down. I use quality ear plugs and run with my faceshield up most all the time in the smooth air.

I run the stock seat in the high position with the front further raised and the back of the seat lowered about 3/8". I run 3/4" handlebar risers and SW Motech foot pegs in the lowered position----gives me plenty of space in the cockpit.

OP....if you ever get a change to ride a 2004-06 Triumph Tiger----do so, and THEN you will experience some extreme noise and turbulence from the windshield.
  17. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    6'4" here.
    Yama winglets, madstad and 3 different screens.
    For winter a 26" Cee Baileys barn door, for touring the tall oem screen and for warm weather the regular stock screen. Covers all the bases for me. The key is the madstad, almost infinite adjustability.
  18. Outryder1

Outryder1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    6'2" 34 inseam
    On my 14 s10 i'm using a CalSci large windshield with the Yamaha wind deflectors. Second notch up from the bottom for height, I can easily see over it. Remarkably calm.
  19. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I don't get much turbulence, just air noise from air. Stock windshield is definately not a GL1800, but it works for me good enough. Even on the GL1800, depending on traffic and wind ect, I get some wind noise. I figure I'm out in the air on a motorcycle, and par for the course. I think too much work goes to eliminating wind noise. Pretty impossible if on a motorcycle.
  20. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    I understand your sentiment, but if the wind noise you were getting made your ears ring all night despite using the most effective ear plugs that exist after half an hour of riding, I think you might have a different view.

To add perspective, I've raced a bike that hit over 160 on the back straight at Road Atlanta in an endurane race for multiple stints of 70 minutes, and my ears never rang after even that, using the same ear plugs. This on a bike with a full-loud race pipe and the motor never seeing under 9000 rpm the entire time. If my touring bike is louder thsn that at 73mph, I think it's fair to say that I really do have an issue.
    Alexander B and 1800cycledude like this.