End of my rope: Super Tenere windshield turbulence

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dietDrThunder, Apr 26, 2016.

1. LOFTYBOB

LOFTYBOB Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer:
    6' 3" tall here with a 35" inseam, I installed the Yamaha Tall screen with the Yamaha winglets, and am very happy with the result. I wear an open face helmet ans have no turbulence problem with very minimal wind noise. No earplugs required.
    1800cycledude likes this.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I just checked and unfortunately the Tobinator been discontinued, bummer as it works really well.

Yep, earplugs won't cure turbulence, just posted the link because they're the first earplugs I've found that are comfortable enough for me to wear all day and are a bargain from Amazon.
    1800cycledude likes this.
  3. eegs2k

eegs2k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    6'3" 32" inseam here. The same as you.
    My seat is in the tall position. The stock setup was bad.
    I started with a parabellum X-tall. Worked OK but the shield was too high and the beveled edge was always in my line of sight.
    added a madstad bracket. now the parabellum screen was really too tall and wobbled at speed. I cut it and took 3 inches off. It seems to work a little better. adjustments to the bracket helped eliminate turbulence. still wind noise, but not awful.
    added wings. they seem to help.

If i duck down and look through the shield it is very quiet. if i look just over it the air hits the top of my helmet and gives wind noise. not a lot, but still noisy at highway speeds. for this i use plugs.
  4. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam. I've been running a cal-sci XL (+7.5" over stock) on the touratech adjuster with the yamaha winglets for several years now. I also have the screen all of the way up and tilted all of the way back on the adjuster.

[​IMG]

Works great for me.
    PDX Alamo likes this.
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Did you install rearsets? Almost looks like you're on a sport bike! ;-)
  6. Ironhand

Ironhand Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I run a Madstad with a Givi screen and the Yamaha Side deflectors with great results. My happy place is with the windshield height set so that I am just looking over it, and the Madstad forward/back adjustment just behind the middle of the range.
  7. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The trick to a quiet windshield is to get air up behind it. Trying lots of different shapes and sizes doesn't solve the problem. The madstad bracket accomplishes this. The givi airflow does too. I went thru this same thing on my vstrom, the roar was unbearable until I installed a givi airflow. I think a lot of riders don't know how quiet it can be.
    Alexander B likes this.
  8. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean it's not a sport bike? :hmmmmm
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  9. robberst

robberst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First off I don't have Tenere, but I do have a v-strom also notorious for noise and buffeting.
    I haven't seen this suggestion yet, but this is what helped me more than anything else on the v-strom.

Perhaps a different helmet?
  10. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not always. As I mentioned, I have the Touratech mount; all sorts of air behind the screen.

That said, I did order a Madstad mount to see if i can get a better angle.
  11. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Mentioned earlier, I've tried three. No go.
    Alexander B likes this.
  12. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What brand helmets have you tried?
  13. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    I have a Cee Bailey screen with a Laminar Lip on my Vstrom. It works very well except for riding through choppy air turbulence.
  14. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Actually 4. Two different Scorpions, a Shoei RF1100, and a buddy's AGV. None were appreciably different, apart from both Scorpions being a bit quieter than the other two. Lucky for me because the Scorpions are mine.
  15. woodsxr

woodsxr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam Stock shield in middle position and winglets.
    The only time I have any buffeting is in heavy traffic. Smooth as can be on the open road.
    Good luck
  16. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    If I were 5'10" the V Stream would be perfect...that's about how far I have to duck in order to get to the serene zone.
  17. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
  18. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  19. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    I mentioned in the OP that my most recent screen is a Powerbronze short sport screen. I am not in any way trying for a large screen, I just want to not be tortured.

I have tried it with no screen, and predictably it is fine, as any naked bike would be. I would like some modicum of protection if possible. I mean, I bought the bike for touring, so zero wind protection isn't optimal.
    Alexander B likes this.
  20. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I read that to mean that you bought one, but didn't try it as you kept discussing the taller options. How tall if the Powerbronze over the "naked" option and what does it do (or doesn't do) that it didn't solve your turbulence problem?

I have that short screen on the V-Strom and a short one on the Versys too. Not only can I do long days on both bikes w/o any issues, it's a lot more comfortable after a long day than the stock or slightly taller windshields were. Yes, you get air over the helmet, but it's relatively quiet (as quiet as hwy speed air can be, I guess) and there is no buffeting so no sore neck muscles or headaches. It's not zero wind protection as in a naked bike, with the right height screen, pressure on your chest would be felt, but minimal.

Gustavo