End of my rope: Super Tenere windshield turbulence

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dietDrThunder, Apr 26, 2016.

1. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hard to answer how tall it is over no screen at all, since technically the entire height of it is above 0, It's about 6" shorter than stock. With that screen I get a little significant turbulence only, but it's extremely loud...way too loud. Once I get the Madstad mount, I'll have more options, including I think significantly, the ability to increase the rake of the screen (getting it farther from vertical). I have a feeling that if i could tilt the shorty back more, it might well be an acceptable option. My plan is to go as small and low as necessary until I get 'clean' air that isn't punishing me. Once I get there, I'll play with some bigger screen options at my leisure to see if I can come up with a more protection + acceptable noise/turbulence solution.

Speaking of which, does anyone know or a really small fly screen type thing for the Tenere? I Googled, but to no avail. Thanks!
    Alexander B likes this.
  2. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    First paragraph: Then go lower and smaller. More air flow around your upper body, but less turbulence.

2nd paragraph: Some think, that because screen x works for them, it´ll work for everybody, but it does not work that way. Even if your total height were the same as the other guy´s, there are still many variables including how high your helmet actually sits in the airflow, cos your back may be shorter (and your feet longer) than the other guy, who was exactly the same height and claims screen x is the ticket. Even the helmets used can have a considerable effect on this.
    yokesman likes this.
  3. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    I have mentioned a few times now that I am currently running the lowest, smallest screen that I've found so far.

I specifically included my height and inseam to provide a reference point. It's hard to ne the same height and the same inseam with drastically different head location. Not impossible, but hard.

Also mentioned that I have tried several helmets.
    Alexander B likes this.
  4. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Head location does not have to be very different, an inch, or even half an inch higher/lower, or sometimes forward/backward, or combinations of these, may sometimes affect things a lot.

(and Sorry, I failed to notice, that you´d already addressed some of the points, that I mentioned..)
  5. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:
    dietDR, One of the first attempts to deal with the Super Tenere wind noise was to add a spoiler under the headlights. Also in the Gold Wing forums I've seen an ad for a foam insert to seal the area around the forks trees to block off wind coming up. Probably the best solution is to get the windshield as close as possible to you. I have seen a windshield on a Gold Wing that came back so far that the owner would occasionally hit his helmet on the edge when mounting the bike. He said it is as quiet as driving any car. An extreme example perhaps but that is the path some of us must take. And I liked the lower seat height and reverse when I owned one. I have the same issues with an ST1100, severe tinnitus and wanting buy a new bike but I'm not interested in experiments. Maybe back to a GL1800, sailing, maybe back to dirt bikes, bicycles, bungee jumping? The Super Tenere is still a bike I think I'd like to own but until I meet someone that can prove to me (that means a lengthy test ride) they have the answer I'll go back to the lead wing.
    Alexander B likes this.
  6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I have my stock screen all the way down, and stand up just 2 to 3 inches it's dead quiet.
    Just need to get my helmet into clean air and the noise is gone
    With the screen all the way up, it's still noisy.
    And hot, since I'm not getting air to my helmet vents.
    Not just noise, but the air hitting the helmet seems to "shake" the shell of the helmet.
    More than 10-15 minutes at 70+ mph and I start to get a headache.
    Alexander B likes this.
  7. twflybum

twflybum Prodigal Biker

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Madstad bracket with the stock screen. I also cut the bottom of the stock screen to smooth the airflow and added the 2014+ filler panel. I also found adjusting the windscreen more vertical (think 'Dakar bike windshield/fairing' setup) than an angle similar to the stock screen made things more pleasant.

This pic still has the stock 2012 filler panel that sits about ~3/4" above the headlight housing. I installed the 2014+ filler panel and it fits tight to the headlight housing and in my mind, eliminates another source of turbulence. A subjective observation maybe, but you have to wonder why Yamaha changed the design.

These mods along with the 2014+ clutch basket make it a long term keeper for me.. unless I ride and fall in love with the AT... :fpalm

Attached Files:

Blue Mule likes this.
  8. Blue Mule

Blue Mule Persistent Slacker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Madstad and winglets really helped me with this.

These discussions always amuse me...
    Tell me how blue the sky is?

So much of it is subjective, perception and about expectations.

Another thought thats crossed my mind about some of the noise/wind on the S10 is that space under the headlights.
    I wonder if a body panel of some sort filling in the ugly gap might not help smooth out the air a good bit. :hmmmmm
  9. twflybum

twflybum Prodigal Biker

Oddometer:
    Oh.. I also added that filler panel under the headlight from the 2014+ bikes. More to cover up the horn, etc., just always looked unfinished to me. So maybe that helps quiet/smooth things out too.
  10. Blue Mule

Oddometer:
    I misunderstood what you had posted about that...

Have a pic?

I thought you meant the panel guys have been adding as a 'dash' under the instrument cluster.

Like this one with the power outlets...

Attached Files:

11. Blue Mule

Oddometer:
    Whatta ya know...

Found something...

9e6164ff.jpg
  12. twflybum

twflybum Prodigal Biker

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the confusion, actually replaced the panel above the headlight housing to clean up the airflow and added the bottom filler panel for aesthetics.

Attached Files:

Blue Mule likes this.
  13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep lurking, and hoping someone finds a fix or comes up with a new screen.
    I don't want to have hundreds of dollars in screen, winglets and brackets laying around the garage before I get something that works.

Wonder if @raj914 has any ideas. We'll ask him when he gets back. :D
    Maggot12 and Blue Mule like this.
  14. Blue Mule

Oddometer:
    Yup.

I hear ya, I read a fair amount of these reports aboot the turbulence.
    I'm pretty happy with my set up.

I'm sure @raj914 or maybe @Loutre might have an opinion aboot it.
    Loutre likes this.
  15. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Anyone who's ridden a motorcycle for more than an hour or so knows that there isn't an Answer to this question. The point was to get some detailed descriptions of options available, so as to have points of reference from which to consider possible courses of action based on folks' descriptions of what worked and why. It isn't accurate to say that 'so much of it is subjective.' It is all subjective. That doesn't mean there isn't something meaningful to be learned from others' experiences.

I might try stuffing a piece of foam between my light bar and the headlight, but I wouldn't expect much. If I remove the screen entirely I am in beautifully clean, quiet air flow. I'm simply trying to achieve some modicum of protection befitting the bike's mission as a LDR bike.
    Blue Mule likes this.
  16. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain. The sad fact is that it's true: there are 1000 different answers. To wit, several people in this thread have said that the stock screen and the Touratech mount work great for them. For me that combo, which I own, is unbearable.

I'll report back with an update when I get my Madstad bracket, but if you notice very few people report success without either the Touratech or Madstad bracket installed. The Madstad has a far greater range of adjustment, so that's why I bought one. Hell, keep in touch with me, and if I get the Madstad and make it work, I'll sell you the Touratech cheap :)
    WVhillbilly likes this.
  17. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This might be a dumb question, that everyone knows but me, but I am new to the Tenere family. Do you also benefit from a TT or Madstad bracket for the Gen 2 bikes??

I have a 15 with a Parabellum and winglets and its pretty good for me. But I'm always looking for better....
  18. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    From what I've read, yes. I already have a TT mount, and I have a Madstad on the way. I'll be posting up what I learn about the two of them when I get the Madstad, so if you hold off a bit I might have at least a few additional points of reference for you.
  19. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm working thru the noise thing. I'm 5 10", 32 inch inseam. Stock screen all the way up....no turbulence but noisy. If I duck my head slightly it's quiet. Got the Yamaha tall screen. With it at the lowest position, it's similar to stock at the hi setting (but with maybe more turbulence). But if I raise it, I can't see over it and it seems to increase the turbulence as well. I'm thinking because it's wider it's affected by the mirrors somewhat. I'm eventually going to get the winglets also. I may just go back to stock at it's highest. Not whisper quiet but I always use earplugs.
  20. arr2

arr2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would you happen to have part numbers for the panel above the headlights?
    Is it just the panel or are there other parts involved?

thanks
    Tony