End of my rope: Super Tenere windshield turbulence

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dietDrThunder, Apr 26, 2016.

1. twflybum

twflybum Prodigal Biker

Oddometer:
    Don't have the parts list and can't remember which vendor I bought them from, but here is an example of the parts fiche I used. #33 and #53 are the main items and you have to make a list of the screws/washers, etc needed for the install.
    http://www.partzilla.com/parts/sear...SUPER+TENERE+-+XTZ12EGY/WINDSHIELD/parts.html
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Madstad (almost all the way forward), tall wind shield, winglets...virtually no buffeting and i can't remember the last time i put my visor down when it wasn't raining

Go to my build thread (in sig line) because i added supports to the madstad, which i show you how to make, and helped greatly as well
    beverage2 likes this.
  3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madstad bracket ordered, from Madstad.
    Seems to be back ordered in a few places, hopefully I can get it from them.

If it's back ordered forever I'm just parking the bike and riding the Super Duke.
  4. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got one from them. Be patient; they are in no hurry to ship it or communicate in any way.
  5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    :baldy
  6. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention it...I've got that very screen on the way. I'll post up when I get to try it.

I've just now installed my Madstad bracket and mirror extenders ($24 shipped for beautiful machined and anodized ones) and am about to go for a test ride with the big screen (v stream). Wish me luck!
    Alexander B likes this.
  8. trails4me

trails4me n00b

Oddometer:
    I've just read through everyones replies. My issue is this horrible stiff wind coming around the left side of the Yamaha Tall OEM screen and blasting my left ear. I wear a Nolan NCOM 104 modular. Yesterday I made a set of temporary wind deflectors, to act as the "winglets", as I have ordered the Yamaha OEM Wind Deflectors for my 15' Super tenere. Last night I took the tenere out for a 30 minute ride to see how my handy work turned out. So, my Nolan was being charged...I grabbed a hybrid 3/4 with face shield helmet instead. I couldn't believe how calm and quiet my riding space had become. I reached 75mph a few times and absolutely no wind. Well, I thought everything was ironed out...this morning I put my Nolan on and headed to work. I get 5 minutes into my ride and traveling 65+mph and the same damn wind noise from the left nailing my left ear. Then it hits me, it's the helmet. Unreal how different an expensive Nolan and an inexpensive hybrid act in my situation. In all the riding I've done over the years I've never had this issue. I've had horrible headaches for the past few weeks due to this wind noise coming around the left side of the Tall OEM screen. We'll see what happens this Wednesday when I install the OEM Wind Deflectors. I'm hoping for better results.
  9. randomride

randomride Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer:
    I run that shield on the stock mounts w/ the winglets. Works very well for me. I extend the spoiler when road riding and retract it when I hit the gravel. I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam and ride with a RDL in the low position. Funny that it works equally well with my Neotec, RF1000, and my Fly D/S helmet.
  10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    During the heavy rains yesterday I install the Madstad bracket on my Super Tenere.
    Today, in between snow flurries :bluduh I got in a very short test ride.

With the brackets on the upper set of holes, but the screen adjusted all the way down, things seem quieter.
    I'm getting quite a bit of air under the screen and that seems to equalize the airflow and cut down on the turbulence.

I'll need to get on a longer ride at higher speeds to know if this was the fix for sure. I only went a few miles today and didn't really get up over 70.
    It also seems as if the stock screen "flutters" a lot and this could also be causing turbulence. I noticed this with the stock brackets, and wondered if I could do away with the rubber mounts or if that would stress the screen too much and break it.
  11. mmcfd62

mmcfd62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have mastad adj mount and a national cycle sport touring windshield that works good. I tried a nc touring shield but i dont like looking thru the ws.
  12. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Sorry I forgot to update this.

the MRA screen was very good aerodynamically but it had a manufacturing defect where it was a) wavy and b) cloudy. It was as if there was an additional step in the process that it never made it to, or something. Anyway, Twisted Throttle essentially refused to believe me, asking me multiple times to send pictures, telling me that really what was happening was that I had the screen at an angle, so that makes it look cloudy (otherwise known as 'it's not me, it's you'), then finally asking me to send it in for them to verify what I was talking about. I didn't bother; they can enjoy the $250, as it is the last money they will ever get from me.

As an experiment, when I got my Puig Touring windshield and Puig clamp-on wing (even better aero and is still in use today), as an experiment I called Revzilla and told them that I got the screen, but it was oddly cloudy and not optically good to look through. The person on the phone said, "I'm so sorry to hear that. If you don't mind a cc hold, I'll send you a verified-good one via 2-day air, free shipping, and generate a return label for your defective one. Once we get your return, the cc hold will release." No hesitation, no "are you sure" etc. Just a solution. I told the guy that I was really just testing the service I'd get, and told him what happened, and he laughed (understandably).

That, friends, is proper customer service when buying a waay above average cost accessory.
  13. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the madstad and very happy. What helmet are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. aage

aage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do have ST 2016ES. I´m 5 foot 10 and 30inseam.

I had BMW R1200GS 2005 before the ST. I did have a Givi airflow windshield on that bike along with wings and it was super nice ride. No buffet , no noise.

Before I bought the ST , I specially checked if the Givi Airflow was available for that bike. It is available for ST 2011 till 2013. Its very easy to make it fit the 2016 so I bought one along with Wings and Madstad bracket. It works very well except a little buffeting on my sholder , I fixed that by buying a Mirror extenders. I love this bike with this setup , no buffeting and very little noise. I could ride it all day long without a problem, BTW I hate Buffeting and noise when riding.
    Alexander B likes this.
  15. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent a couple hours on the Super Duke today.
    NO wind noise at all, and no wind protection.

Wish I could get my the Super Ten that quiet.
  16. lbever

lbever IAMX454

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'7" & have a 2012 Tenere with a 21" Parabellum, Madstad bracket and the Yamaha deflectors. Very little noise for rider and passenger. I ride a lot with the shield up on my Arai XD4. Also, I just put a Madstad complete system on my wife's CB500X, short windshield. bracket and winglets like the Yamaha. She is very happy with the result.
  17. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then try this: take the windshield off entirely and go for a ride. I know the bike will look off, but I suspect you'll get the smoothest airflow you've ever had. Make sure you wear ear plugs.

If you like what you experience and are already getting the madstat bracket, you can also get a shorty sport shield and I bet you will find a shield position and angle that will take just enough wind pressure off your body, but also keep a smooth and pleasant airflow in the cockpit.

I fought this battle on my vstrom, even with the givi airflow windshield i was getting too much turbulence, and the best solution i came up with was to take the top portion of the airflow shield off entirely. It's just so much smoother and much more fun now.

As a result of these findings I bought a shorty shield for my Victory Hammer cruiser, as opposed to a barn door screen, and just did 1200 miles in 3 days this past weekend. Some protection and smooth airflow is what I found worked best for me. So you might give it a try just to see what you experience. Good luck.
  18. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried it with the windshield off. It was better.
    I'll probably end up cutting the stock screen down.
    Hard to get enough air behind it when it's hot too.
  19. numbaphive

numbaphive not quite rite

Oddometer:
    Bloody screens.....damn you Yamaha.
    V-Stream.....peace at last (5’10”, 32”inseam, Shoei Hornet)

Pic for reference.
    [​IMG]
  20. numbaphive

numbaphive not quite rite

Oddometer:
    I also use a neck sock/tube all year round. Helps to reduce the wind noise at the base of your helmet.