End of my rope: Super Tenere windshield turbulence

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dietDrThunder, Apr 26, 2016.

1. firefishq

firefishq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    does the madstad work on a 2014 or is the stock mount sufficient?
  2. kraut.burner

kraut.burner "Fun Club" President

Oddometer:
    I recently installed a MadStad bracket and the Yamaha side deflector "Wings."

Helped reduce some helmet vibration at cruising (70+) speeds. "Reduced" as in I can read freeway signs from a distance with no blur. Was worse before the MadStad install.

I'm 5'10 - Wearing a Shoei Neotec.

Screen: Parabellum 23''
  3. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    Journalist Thad Wolff made a trip to Alaska years ago on an early V-Strom which has well known buffeting issues. Half a doz alternatives were tested and the best was found to be the Windstrom Manta which is now available for the S10. They get rave reviews from users on Stromtrooper.com.
  4. Packer

Packer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scotland, wonderful biking when it's dry (rarely)
    At only 5'10" and with a 33" inseam my experience won't be pertinent for the OP not to mention that the thread is months old now. :)

I tested a '13 S10 and the standard screen was better than my then ride, an 1150 GS with Tobinators. The dealer said that several people were very pleased with the Yam std winglets so when I ordered the bike I specified those and they certainly make a big difference. They make the standard screen fine for me. At speeds over 70mph the peak on my X-Lite dual sport helmet buzzes as it oscillates vertically in the airflow but apart from that no issues.

Another accessory that can cut noises is an aftermarket helmet skirt to close the gap between the helmet and your neck. I had an HJC helmet that created a lot of noise from that area. If I had an issue I would firstly try a Calsci screen, they seem to apply a scientific approach to aerodynamics.
  5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    You would think a company as large as Yamaha would do the same.
    But it seems that they overlooked the seat and wind management, both of which are pretty important on a bike intended for long rides.
    Alexander B likes this.
  6. Packer

Packer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scotland, wonderful biking when it's dry (rarely)
    I actually really like the standard seat. It seems to have dual density foam, when I start to feel pressure points I just shift back an inch or two on the seat and the pressure points change instantly. The seat as standard is far, far better than the BMW 1150 seat which became torture after 150 miles.
  7. Vrode

Vrode Testing...1..2...

Oddometer:
    Forgot to update.
    Back to stock screen with spoiler (sorry I lost the link but search Tenere screen on ebay). With the stock screen and spoiler level to mid faceshield, noise and turbulence issues are solved. Some wind on my arms/shoulders and I do get some turbulence from other vehicles on the highway but I really like this setup. I don't have to look thru the screen... there is still wind on top of my helmet reaching my vents....I can ride at 60 mph with my faceshield up (though I usually don't).....I rarely have to clean my faceshield of bugs now.
    Phipsd and MariusD like this.
  8. 12master

12master n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, I know is a old tread but men I been looking for a solution to my wind noise and buffeting and for some reason this 12 tenere is noisy as hell. Madstad bracket,short yamaha windshield,tall, spoiler,no spoiler, givi airflow, nothing cures this problem. My other bike is a 2014 gs1200 and from factory I dint have to do anything! No buffeting,no wind noise! Is a shame I will have to sell the bike for this but the buffeting and noise are unbelievable. I'm 5"10 30 inseam, and I know is not me I have lots of my friends drive it in different configurations and they are saying the same.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Alexander B likes this.
  9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried the winglets?
  10. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could open a Super T windshield museum with all of the things I've tried. I am certain that there is a solution for everyone. The problem is that small changes in the combo or rider/seat height/helmet/screen/wing/angle/height make big differences. This makes it very hard to find The Answer, as there are many combos.

I finally found a good solution with a Puig mid-sized screen and one of the Russian made eBay wings, but when I changed to a Shoei Neotech it rebooted the problem. The solution this time was the MRA Touring screen w/ MRA wing, adjusted with a huge gap between screen and wing and laying pretty flat, and now it's better than ever.

I wish there was an easy way, but there isn't. Keep trying incremental changes and you'll get it.
    Alexander B likes this.
  11. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Google Fu is failing to find this screen. Does anyone know if this still exists?
  12. arr2

arr2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Parabellem and Yamaha wings. No turbulence at all. I'm 5'10" 32" inseam and I bought a Parabellum that was too tall. I cut it to just about mouth height. No buffeting at all. In fact I don't get enough air when it is hot. I may buy another shorty next summer. Oh this is on a 2013 ST.
  13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, I got my Super Tenere wind noise figured out. Bought an Ultra Classic with a shorty windscreen and have the same problem that I had on the S10.
    Here we go again :baldy
  14. lbever

lbever IAMX454

Oddometer:

Solved my turbulence problem on my 2012 Tenere using a Parabellum medium 23" windshield with Madstad adjustable windshield mount & Yamaha winglets. I'm 5'7" with 29" inseam. I can adjust the windshield so I can still see over it and eliminate all the turbulence. Very happy with the combination.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mads...aAj5G6OjxhV35nt1XgurbCel5dsrFkUIaAtEqEALw_wcB

http://parabellum.com/Super-Tenere-Replacement-Windshield-2014--P109.aspx
  15. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can not say enough good about the Madsatad bracket and 22" windshield. Rode in to work last week , 30 degrees F. Face shield on my Shoei GT Air open all the way in. 22 miles of slab with speeds between 55 and 75mph. The improvement was honestly shockingly dramatic for me. I have a gen II bike with the Yamaha winglets which made little to no difference with the stock shield. Madstad = best farkle to date.
    Alexander B and GAS GUY like this.
  16. 12master

12master n00b

Oddometer:
    I already have a madstad, maybe I'll try another windshield,after all I only have $600 invested on windshield!

Alexander B likes this.
  17. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2014 with stock windscreen in middle position, winglets and MRA screen works awesome for me at 6'-2" height and Arai Corsair V helmet.

Took a few different combinations to get it right, but very happy now.
    IMG_20170714_160752604_HDR_zpsyfqgp224.jpg IMG_20170904_112355906_zpsljyhupl8.jpg IMG_20170904_090048389_zpsyysxbwhe.jpg
  18. sromano

sromano n00b

Oddometer:
    For what’s in worth on my 16 ES, I’m 5 10, 165 as well. I found the madstad adjustable bracket with the 22 screen at a 60 degree angle set just below my nose as well as adding the Yamaha winglets are a very effective combination. I have a still air envelope up to 75mph. No buffeting at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  19. 12master

12master n00b

Oddometer:
    22 screen made by who? I ask because mine is a 2012.

20. sromano

sromano n00b

Oddometer:
    Madstad offers windshields in height sizes ranging from 18 to 22 for the 2012 ST. They will also custom cut a size based on your needs. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk