End of my rope: Super Tenere windshield turbulence

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dietDrThunder, Apr 26, 2016.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    On my S10 I just had the tobinator and winglets and it worked great for me at 5'7" 30" inseam. My friend about your height rode it too and was really happy with the wind protection.
  2. aage

aage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you have the Givi Airflow ( the double one with a sliding front fairing ) ?.

It worked wonderfully for me along with the Madstad bracket.
    I´m now trying to make it work as good for my Africa Twin ;-).
  3. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. dilrod

dilrod Going all the way

Oddometer:
    I don't know about you guys? Everyone is different for sure.
    I have put 90,000 klms on a 2014 ES with no complaints regarding buffeting with stock windscreen. My preferred cruising speed is 140 kph. . . but often opt for squiding vs. cruising.
    This bike rocks--no complaints whatsoever!
    I love putting the loud HD assholes into a vanishing point in my mirrors (as well as nicer ADV inmates).
    ST-Explorer likes this.
  5. kingcobra65

kingcobra65 UNCLE CJ

Oddometer:
    I found if you ditch the visor on your helmet it helps to limit the buffeting a bit.
  6. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for an S10 but... I've battled buffeting on several bikes and was able to overcome it.
    One thing that gets overlooked is mirrors. Take them off the S10 for a half hour ride and see if it calms the buffeting.
    The o.e.m. mirrors appear to be streamlined but it's worth a shot.

Another thing is you may have to accept that there will be air hitting your helmet but... clean air is better than turbulent air.
    On my KLR I found the MSR Double Bubble gave you just that, as did the Givi Airlow on my Strom. In fact, I lowered the screen to give me air, as opposed to trying to block it out altogether like a Goldwing can and does. It was an exercise in futility.

My $.02 for what it's worth.
  7. Maverick2076

Maverick2076 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mirror extensions and a knockoff MRA Xscreen really did the trick for me.
  8. BKC

BKC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stock windscreen + Touratech adjustable bracket + MRA Xcreen = Visor up riding at any speed.
  9. 1800cycledude

1800cycledude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DietDrThunder must have some serious miles on his MRA Touring screen by now, any updates on how well it is or isn’t working ?
  10. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    It worked great right up until I hit a cow at speed last spring and destroyed my S10. I'm on a Triumph Trophy SE now, but I miss the Tenere every day.
  11. richarddacat

richarddacat Do enjoy your party Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something Ive noticed concerning wind turbulence, I recently added the side wind wings and at first I noticed a somewhat better cockpit without as much direct wind. What I noticed on a second ride the next day was more turbulence within the cockpit. Nothing discouraging and it didn't worsen with more speed, just a pocket of turning air that I didn't notice before.

Running the stock screen, stock bars w/o risers and a Adcox seat.

FYI.
  12. 1800cycledude

1800cycledude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow a cow yikes ! Hopefully you didn’t get hurt , were you out west somewhere in open range country ? In about 800,000 miles I’ve killed 5 deer with motorcycles it happens quick.
  13. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in rural NC, at night in the rain. I came over a rise, and there was a cow in the oncoming lane. As you can imagine, this got my attention. Sadly, I could have used that attention elsewhere, as it turned out there was a second cow broadside across my lane, a little past the first cow. That delay was enough for me to hit it at about 60mph, killed the cow, killed the bike, and amazingly I was mostly unhurt after about 300' of tumbling and sliding. I did get a leg wound from the left bar end as I went over/through the bars that ended up being problematic, but on the whole I'm good.
  14. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Deer are among my bigggest fears here in western N.Y. I've hit 6 in cars, and trucks but knock on wood never on my motorcycle.
    1800cycledude likes this.
  15. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you running a tank bag? I had a bike once that drove me nuts changing shields, etc. trying to get a good still-air pocket. One day I plopped one of those towering tank bags we used in the 1990s onto the tank and viola! No buffeting at all. Turned out it was air coming up from the bottom or around the sides that was causing the issue, and the tank bag disrupted the bumpy airflow.
    TALLGUY, WRC51 and 1800cycledude like this.
  16. Super08

Super08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used the stock shield, oem tour shield, Puig tour shield and the Vstream tour. For myself at 6' the Vstream gives me a nice quiet bubble of air in the lowest position with no buffeting. The Puig is also good but required me to run it in either the highest or next to the highest position. The Yamaha Tour shield didn't deflect the air high enough for me and the stock was way too low. I used the oem side defectors with all of the shields.
    richarddacat likes this.
  17. richarddacat

richarddacat Do enjoy your party Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any Parabellum users out there?
  18. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Just across the river from Marsing, Idaho
    @numbaphive are you still using this size vstream on your super tenere? I am the same height and inseam as you. Would you mind posting a side profile picture if you have time? I want to see how far it extends back toward the rider...

19. numbaphive

numbaphive not quite rite

Oddometer:
    bout the best side on shots I have.....hope it helps :-)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only thing worse than wind noise on this bike is the seat. :(