End of my rope: Super Tenere windshield turbulence

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dietDrThunder, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Just across the river from Marsing, Idaho
    Thanks for the pics numbaphive, they do help.
  2. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    richarddacat,

I tried a tall Parabellum on my 2014ES. I found it to be good, but too narrow to block some turbulence around the sides. I have the wings and mirror extensions. For me, I discovered that a National Cycle tall screen made for a Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter (I bought 2 on a closeout to try) has worked the best. This summer I took a trip of over 2500 miles with that combination and am quite satisfied. 6'1" with 32"inseam I don't know if they're still available or whether they were just overstocked at the time I bought them about 3 years ago.
    richarddacat likes this.
  3. richarddacat

richarddacat Do enjoy your party Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I take it that you had to drill new holes. Got a picture of the Burgman screen mounted?

Personally the stock screen works pretty good with the wing extensions. Height is fine, I was looking for more width and Parabellum looked like the widest.

National Cycle - V-Stream was my favorite on my previous FJR.
  4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is stock screen, Madstad bracket, the braces from an inmate in the UK, Yamaha side winglets and a $39 knock off "spoiler" on top the windscreen.
    I can get pictures if anyone needs them, but I'm not touching it as it's rideable now.
    The braces helped a lot.
  5. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re: NC Burgman Scooter windshield. I have several pictures. However, it may be hard to see just how much coverage it gives because I wasn't trying to show the windshield when the pictures were taken. The bike is in Idaho right now but I can take more detailed pictures at the end of this month.
    And, yes I drilled new holes. I've also tried two versions of the V Stream - neither was satisfactory. 20190714_061808_resized_1.jpg

Attached Files:

richarddacat likes this.
  6. Bikedude987

Bikedude987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're still struggling....go buy a CalSci windscreen. Get one several inches TALLER than they recommend - I wend up one size, wish I'd gone two. But even so, in the absence of a stiff sidewind, it is wonderfully calm and quiet - to the point of not needing earplugs.

If you're on a 2014+, then I would suggest removing the stupid adjustment bracket and getting a screen for a 2012 model - it mounts it more rigidly and closer in.
  7. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree remove the stupid adjustment bracket and get a screen for a 2012 model
    This is my 2014 ditched the crappy adjustable screen and used a taller screen for a 2012 and made a flip for the top
    No buffeting and 70 mph with the visor up no problem IMG_20190911_132430.jpg
  8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    My set up. The braces helped a lot because when the screen would vibrate I'd get a bad fluttering noise.
    20190920_145700.jpg 20190920_145653.jpg
  9. Jdhuff

Jdhuff RAT BRAIN

Oddometer:
    I know this is old but what did you settle on. I'm trying to decide if I should get another Madstad 22". I broke mine in half on a tree.
  10. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Just across the river from Marsing, Idaho
    @Garry H , what screen is that your running?
  11. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    Here’s something, after taking a hint from jwdub, a Rifle fairing screen mates up pretty good.
    C45DA40B-D284-4608-BAD7-C548886DC1DF.jpeg
  12. bowtie39

bowtie39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rifle is a good idea. IIRC that screen attaches to a base and then the whole assembly attaches to bike thus the holes along bottom of screen. Correct me but then you just line it up and drill holes to attach to Tenere mount?? Did you leave the OEM adj bracket on?
  13. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    Yeap, removed the stock screen and positioned the Rifle screen over the stock bracket and drilled new holes.
    Holes on the bottom of the Rifle were plugged with snap-in buttons I found at AceHardware.

I lowered the screen after this picture was taken using the stock adjustable brackets, same as you would with the stock screen.
  14. bowtie39

bowtie39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.....excellent!
  15. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sory i don't know....Bougt for 15 quid off ebay cuz it look ok and with my mod it is